Hood question

-

Tooljunkie

King of cobble/master of the broken bolt
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
1965 barracuda and 1965 valiant use the same hood?
Reason i’m asking is the barracuda has a hood scoop, the way i got it.
Would like an unmolested hood to run if i dont like the scoop.
There are 2 for sale in my area,both valiants. Seems either one doesent show pictures of front edge, which is what i would like to see before i commit.

they all will have a ridge up the middle, the Oz AP5 (Australian Produced) had a different hood altogether with a big fat stringer.

EC20AA23-CED5-4132-BBE5-6F479971E5E1.png

This one has recesses in the hood. This throws me off.
Theres a ‘64 hood too, would like to gett better photos of that one.

I agree with other posters that '65 Barracuda and '65 Valiant use the same hood. But you mentioned picture of the front edge and I wanted to caution you that the '64 hood is nearly identical accept that it does not have the hood release hidden behind the chrome center emblem. Because pictures aren't always worth a 1000 words it's worth asking the seller about the release latch to avoid buying the wrong part. My comments apply to U.S. produced cars.

@Tooljunkie - I noticed you're in Canada which is why I limited my comments to what I know, U.S. built cars. Member 65SignetSweden mentioning the picture you posted is of a Dart hood is true for U.S. built cars. He may not realize that Canadian Valiants were more similar to U.S. built Dodge Darts than Plymouth Valiants. It might be helpful to clarify for those trying to help you if your repairing a Canadian Valiant, which has more body parts in common with a U.S. Dodge Dart, or a U.S. built Plymouth Valiant that most people on this forum are much more familiar with.

Guy is selling doors, hood and steering column. Horn ring has the distinctive “V” in the center, but the hood is odd.

Given your location, the Parts you posted a pic of are likely "Canadian" Valiant based on the steering wheel "V" you referenced. However a "Canadian" Valiant is closer front end sheetmetal/ taillights wise to an American Dodge Dart. Doors are for the most part interchangeable so I'm ignoring them. If your working on a '65 Barracuda, a model that to my knowledge ( no expert on Canadian production) was not built in Canada, the hood in the pic is not correct for your car but would be for an American Dodge Dart. If your working on a '65 Valiant(non Barracuda) my earlier question applies. Is it a Canadian Valiant or an American one? The hood in the pic is correct for one but not the other.

-
Back