Hood scoop clearance...

-

Cuda416

Reaction score
Or more correctly, how big should I make the hole in the hood so the air cleaner doesn't get damaged under acceleration?

The new motor we put into our 65 Valiant ends up being just high enough to hit the hood. it will likely get higher as we're going to try and fit magnum exhaust manifolds to it and will need to raise the drivers side.

We've opted to put a six pack scoop on it, which is plenty wide/deep for this. The question then is if the air cleaner is 14", how big should the hole in the hood be? Eventually, we'll make it into a "cold air" setup, hell why not.

Thoughts or examples would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-=C

Or more correctly, how big should I make the hole in the hood so the air cleaner doesn't get damaged under acceleration?

The new motor we put into our 65 Valiant ends up being just high enough to hit the hood. it will likely get higher as we're going to try and fit magnum exhaust manifolds to it and will need to raise the drivers side.

We've opted to put a six pack scoop on it, which is plenty wide/deep for this. The question then is if the air cleaner is 14", how big should the hole in the hood be? Eventually, we'll make it into a "cold air" setup, hell why not.

Thoughts or examples would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-=C
Ask Keith @66340SEDAN

Keith.jpg

Kinda depends on how you have the engine mounted. Rubber mounts that might break? Maybe open a lot of room, especially if you might go to a dominator 16" later.
If you have elephant ears, and a mid plate, 15" could be plenty.

Kinda depends on how you have the engine mounted. Rubber mounts that might break? Maybe open a lot of room, especially if you might go to a dominator 16" later.
If you have elephant ears, and a mid plate, 15" could be plenty.

Good point, it's on rubber mounts. To be honest, I don't expect this motor to break anything lol, but it could happen.

Stockers break rubber mounts! At least steel cable tie or chain with a turnbuckle. Busted rubber mounts bust up right side header tubes too!

A cable or chain is a good idea. We'll put that on the list of things to do "just because".

Thanks

the 6-pac scoop is a mighty big scoop. Have you mocked it up?
The engine is offset towards the passenger side, and unless you chain it down, it will torque over to the passenger side, when you gas it.
The more torque your engine makes, the more it will rotate.
If you have a manual trans, then on decel, the engine will be torqued over to the drivers side.
If you still have the original style mounts, then fore and aft movement might also be a factor.
If your engine shakes, that's another factor.
I'll tell you what I did, take it for what it might be worth;
I installed a tasteful(IMO,lol) oval alloy air cleaner centered, on the top of the hood, and put the hole ,slightly bigger than the airhorn, wherever. Then I fabbed a box to sit on the airhorn, and sealed it to the underside of the hood with flexible foam.
Had I wanted to, I suppose I could have put the entire carb in a box, and so, it too would have run cooler. But the first attempt worked so well, that I just left it alone.

Whatever;
If you chain the engine down, I think 1" all round ,would be plenty. My hi-torque and clutched 367 doesn't move around much.

the 6-pac scoop is a mighty big scoop. Have you mocked it up?
The engine is offset towards the passenger side, and unless you chain it down, it will torque over to the passenger side, when you gas it.
The more torque your engine makes, the more it will rotate.
If you have a manual trans, then on decel, the engine will be torqued over to the drivers side.
If you still have the original style mounts, then fore and aft movement might also be a factor.
If your engine shakes, that's another factor.
I'll tell you what I did, take it for what it might be worth;
I installed a tasteful(IMO,lol) oval alloy air cleaner centered, on the top of the hood, and put the hole ,slightly bigger than the airhorn, wherever. Then I fabbed a box to sit on the airhorn, and sealed it to the underside of the hood with flexible foam.
Had I wanted to, I suppose I could have put the entire carb in a box, and so, it too would have run cooler. But the first attempt worked so well, that I just left it alone.

Whatever;
If you chain the engine down, I think 1" all round ,would be plenty. My hi-torque and clutched 367 doesn't move around much.

Thanks, @AJ/FormS .

What you are describing as a cold air setup under the hood is what we plan on doing, or very close. An oval air cleaner would be a good start for sure.

I can measure how big I cut my hole....I don’t have a scoop and the hole is not centered in the hood....it’s centered to the engine so it sits to the passenger side more

Thanks, not being centered is one reason we're using a scoop.

I like that cake pan idea. Gonna seriously look at that.
You can buy them now,pre-made and modify them to fit.
But aluminum sheet is easy to work with; I made my own. It might have taken one afternoon, most of it spent just standing there thinking I was crazy to cut that pristine hood.

Scott used a dual snorkel on his Dart which I think looks sharp.

photo[66.jpg

14045660_10153595404116148_8414034978262390845_n.jpg

IMG_0474 (1).JPG
Thanks, not being centered is one reason we're using a scoop.

Before I went to a victor intake , I used a dropped ''offset'' air cleaner base to center the filter up in the scoop -----too tall now , throttle body is up in the scoop , doesnt look this good anymore .

-
Back