hook up hoist to slant six

-

danial

Reaction score
all ready to hoist engine just need to know were to hook it?69 dart 225 there are two empty holes on top can I just bolt a chain between them and hook the chain?disgust

Been a while since I pulled a slant 6, if you can post pics of where the 2 empty holes are??? I always put a bolt where the bellhousing mounts and at the front of the cyl head.

From one noob to another, yes, that's how I yanked the slant from my ride:

UhOh.jpg

EDIT: I looked for a better image and discovered I was wrong, we used the head bolts near the ends, not the exposed bosses on top. Just uploaded a shot from the other side that shows it a little better. Sorry for any confusion.

LiftHeadBolts.jpg

Wow, 2 noobs in the same thread!!! Welcome to FABO danial and Sprag!!! :cheers:

Thanks!

It looks like your chain set up is ideal for an assembled engine. I was planning on doing some work in-chassis and decided to yank the mill instead.

I changed a 225 slant six in a 1967 van. What a pain it was... It had a spacer on it to adapt it to a 727 tf and a spacer on the flexplate also. It had to be done through the side door and when I tried to line it up to the trans the slant of the motor wouldn't allow it to line up properly. I'll never do one of those again!

coo.thanks for the share Im going for it.I have a 69 custom with a smashed K-member and a 68 sport special with a totally smashed rearend the first goal is to swap k-frames.yeah I'm in way over my head with this rippin it apart is easy putting all this Sh stuff back together Maybe I should get a repair manual. LMAO.this site is great thanks again

Here is where I hooked mine up, I pulled it with the transmission on it too and it came out easy :glasses7:

I did the same on my 66.....but i separated the trans, and the motor was sitting at all kinds of goofy angles to the dangle....haha but it worked well!

That 67' van was the wierdest setup I ever saw! the rear end was a 83/4 3.55 single traction. The driveshaft was 2 feet long and consisted of a splined shaft going into a tube. the trans was a 727 tf with the mount on the top instead of the bottom the rear end was on the bottom of the leaf springs I finally got the motor in by using a floor jack to twist the engine to the proper angle. Whew!

lmao

Noobs pulling nasty-*** looking slants outta cars. WTH?

Seriously, great job guys. Great photos and comments, too. I'm learning something, so keep up the good work.

I haven't had mine out yet, but I recall reading that there are 'correct ' holes to bolt into that are stronger points in casting. Doing it with the special bracket is supposed to allow you to balance it right for with or without trans attached.

That said, I have seen that some guys lift the car and drop the whole thing out the bottom. May be the way to go since you are pulling the K anyway.

The front hole is supposed to balance with out trans, the back hole with trans.

Ditto, did it and it worked out great, the motor was almost even balanced left to right. Use a grade 8 bolt and a heavy tab or hook.

AND lifting the body by the bumper mounts off the K is also EZ once you do it.

same here....bye bye /6

Attachments

• IMG_0645.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 643
got the 68 /6 out.Motor and trans together working on slanted gravel ground will take a picture and post it what afun day.Think its all up hill from here ha ha.

got the 68 /6 out.Motor and trans together working on slanted gravel ground will take a picture and post it what afun day.Think its all up hill from here ha ha.
There's nothing like the orgasmic feeling when the engine pops free!!!!!

so I'm trying to swap k members I cant get the rear left bolt to line up this whole project hangs on this K member

-
Back