Hooker #5303 headers for street Ok?

-

QuickDart360

Reaction score
Do these headers 1 7/8 pipe size work good for hot street car? Power steering ok with these? My car has a 292 mopar cam, 3.91's out back, 9.5" FTI 3400-3600 stall converter. Dodge dart sport. Street strip car. But more street. Voctor 340 intake, 340 X-heads. Just need info about usage. Thank you!

Looks like these below?
I personally think the tube size is to large for your combo but otherwise, they seem to offer good ground clearance and fit.

I do t know about power steering fit.
Check Holley.com and scroll on o drive to the header department.

1-7/8 is a bout right for a 550+ HP build. Looking at your combo, I think your about n easy 100HP shy.

There’s actually worse parts to put on the car that will kill tons more in power than oversized headers ever will.

P.S. Not to be a jerk but IMO, use a RPM intake.
E97B8605-0F8E-4378-9399-972F0E06F6A0.jpeg
EA39A245-B96A-41B7-AAB0-923A76C4DE95.jpeg

These are a race oriented header with slip fit tubes going between the collector and the head pipes. I own a set of these and would not recommend on a street oriented car. I believe the tubing might also be lighter gauge on these than regular street headers. Collectors have no flange for mating to exhaust system, although band clamps could be used. One tube on each bank goes through the wheel well. Power steering can not be used with the 5303. These are a tunable race header, unless you own a set they may prove difficult to obtain as they have not been made for years.

For what it's worth, my W2 head 408 stroker uses 15/8 to 1 3/4 stepped headers in my street Dart. Dynoed at 547hp.

It is my opinion you would be better off with a good quality set of street headers. I'm not saying the 5303 cant be used on street, I dont feel it is the proper application.

Looks like these below?
I personally think the tube size is to large for your combo but otherwise, they seem to offer good ground clearance and fit.

I do t know about power steering fit.
Check Holley.com and scroll on o drive to the header department.

1-7/8 is a bout right for a 550+ HP build. Looking at your combo, I think your about n easy 100HP shy.

There’s actually worse parts to put on the car that will kill tons more in power than oversized headers ever will.

P.S. Not to be a jerk but IMO, use a RPM intake.
View attachment 1715365517 View attachment 1715365518

You did better than I. I couldn't even find them anywhere.

About the one tube on each bank going through wheel well, I'll have to check after work. I think I'm confusing this with my Stahl headers which for sure have a tube through the wheel well, as do Hedman Hustlers. Thinking back now, the 5303 might be completely in engine compartment. Mine are about 30 years old and have never been installed. I'll check tonight.

Here are my headers, this is the photo the seller provided me when I bought them.
IMG_0640.JPG.jpg

Ok sounds reasonable. I kind imagined power steering was a no go. Also have a lead for some 1 3/4 hookers but also not sure if power steering is doable. Part # not sure but think 5202 maybe? These are also no longer made. On intake rumblefish 360 already have 340 victor to use. Rpm would need to buy. Funds are limited for now.

Roger that on running what ya got! It is what it is. That’s a decent intake with well ported aluminum heads and a sizeable solid lifter cam. I know, pipe dreams.....

If you can get & run the 1-3/4 header, that would be really good.

Ok sounds reasonable. I kind imagined power steering was a no go. Also have a lead for some 1 3/4 hookers but also not sure if power steering is doable. Part # not sure but think 5202 maybe? These are also no longer made. On intake rumblefish 360 already have 340 victor to use. Rpm would need to buy. Funds are limited for now.

Roger that on running what ya got! It is what it is. That’s a decent intake with well ported aluminum heads and a sizeable solid lifter cam. I know, pipe dreams.....

If you can get & run the 1-3/4 header, that would be really good.
By any chance do you know if the hooker 1 3/4 hesders work with power steering? Oh yes down the line plan for trickflow heads or something similiar.

Currently have 1 5/8 typical headers by dynomax jet hot coated. Still in good shape just plan to improve breathability!:) The only thing is changing out headers. What a pain!! I remember putting these in. With engine hanging on cherry picker. Not fun.:eek:

Currently have 1 5/8 typical headers by dynomax jet hot coated. Still in good shape just plan to improve breathability!:) The only thing is changing out headers. What a pain!! I remember putting these in. With engine hanging on cherry picker. Not fun.:eek:
In my opinion, with that combo, there would be little gain going to larger headers at this time. Good headers cost real money, and as you stated, the effort to remove yours and install and hook up new ones. Financially you might be better ahead, and also performance wise to forego the new headers and purchase a second hand RPM air gap manifold. I feel the gain here would be larger than with the bigger headers. Just my opinion.

Agreed with the others here, You don't need more header, at least not yet, and refresh My memory.....are You indeed running a stock stroke 360 in Your ride? You haven't said, so.... a 408 would be a slightly different story, and planning to use a header that may be less than ideal could result in putting up with less torque after working to install them.....only to have Your plans changed for You...................

By any chance do you know if the hooker 1 3/4 hesders work with power steering? Oh yes down the line plan for trickflow heads or something similiar.

Sorry, I do not know. But I agree with Mr. Pearce below.

In my opinion, with that combo, there would be little gain going to larger headers at this time. Good headers cost real money, and as you stated, the effort to remove yours and install and hook up new ones. Financially you might be better ahead, and also performance wise to forego the new headers and purchase a second hand RPM air gap manifold. I feel the gain here would be larger than with the bigger headers. Just my opinion.

Stock stroke. I guess I'll just leave the header thing alone for now. I think I'll save the coin for some tti's and be done with it.

Thanks for all your replies they are very insightful!!:thumbsup:
Hey bud, with your current header and being street bound, FWIW, I’d use a 2-1/2 inch Jegs/Summit exhaust kit. Make the “H” pipe purchase on top of it and not worry an once. It is a really GOOD & inexpensive set up that I have used before with very good results.

Also, those kits are available with and without mufflers so, if you wanted a certain muffler instead of there the turbo muffler, you could do that as well but it will end up being a little more money with a really good ($$$) muffler.

Here is my kit ready to go still in the box just waiting....

A2B3EEC2-CF82-4BDD-846D-83C442E6360A.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a set up here for sale that I'm going to pick up this weekend.
Asking price (USD would be 210 dollars, give or take a dollar in the exchange) seems fair.....
He doesn't have all the extra pieces like the ones in the photo in the earlier post but he has and I quote, "got more pieces for the headers you can shorten the collectors or lengthen the primaries.."......"I do have the extensions for the primary tubes and 2 different length collectors"

Now I ask, Are these worth getting/buying ?

Thanks...
MAPS

I have a set up here for sale that I'm going to pick up this weekend.
Asking price (USD would be 210 dollars, give or take a dollar in the exchange) seems fair.....
He doesn't have all the extra pieces like the ones in the photo in the earlier post but he has and I quote, "got more pieces for the headers you can shorten the collectors or lengthen the primaries.."......"I do have the extensions for the primary tubes and 2 different length collectors"

Now I ask, Are these worth getting/buying ?

Thanks...
MAPS

BUY THEM NOW. BUY THEM NOW. Do NOT question it. BUY THEM NOW.

I got them lol they will be here Friday....

But as you know I may be able to help if someone wants to buy these from the same guy
They are for A body small block but pre 67
Saps they are NOS
I am thinking of just getting them and holding then until I find someone who wants them because after Friday when mine come down I don't see no other way of getting them again ad he is about 400 miles away from me and I'm having a friend come down this weekend to see me and he will be bringing me my headers..

Here are the pre 67 A body small block headers..

These will go for about 250 dollars. If they had just come to me as ones they would have been 200 but I have to pay gas, expenses to get there etc. So I'd like to get my money back at least.
Originally I could have had these for 150 CDN (just a little over 100- 125 USD)
If anyone wants then please let me know.
MAPS

736EF149-7C50-43F9-8918-CE0EF0AEEEA4.jpeg

9C6B429A-FF71-4DA3-8B54-8658B46B515E.jpeg

Last edited:
Three are the ones I picked up, I'm not sure though if they will go thru the fenderwell...
He said no (had them in a 71 Duster) but I think those A BODY cars were ok but older (69 & earlier) they look like they will go thru, but he said no thru go on the bottom.(good words)
Any help will be appreciated.

Maps

EB9EC9BE-1451-4FD7-9056-E125937B6994.jpeg

FAAA7072-F51F-48A0-9DB3-749B85F2BC55.jpeg

2D5A8924-8403-4841-B82F-D44AAF399D17.jpeg

Three are the ones I picked up, I'm not sure though if they will go thru the fenderwell...
He said no (had them in a 71 Duster) but I think those A BODY cars were ok but older (69 & earlier) they look like they will go thru, but he said no thru go on the bottom.(good words)
Any help will be appreciated.

Maps

View attachment 1715637230

View attachment 1715637231

View attachment 1715637232

MASSIVE SCORE!!!!

That’s what I’m talking about. You did good and scored big time. Nice job.

Thanks boss..
Like I said in my email, they may never get on my car by spring if I get my hands on those ITT that I like and we'll do what I said.
Again, thanks for everything.
MAPS

-
Back