Hooker,doug's,TTI?

-

64mopar

Reaction score
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a set of headers ,I am curious to know who has installed hookers and how did they fit ?
They will be going into my 64 Barracuda with a 360 and automatic with manual steering.
As far as Doug's and TTI's ,I have read some of your posts, so I know where they stand , next would be looking for the best deal.
Looking for chassis exit as I will not be using fender well.​

How much of your fenderwells are you cutting out. If you're taking them all the way out, try 1967 and newer headers. They tend to be cheaper.

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a set of headers ,I am curious to know who has installed hookers and how did they fit ?
They will be going into my 64 Barracuda with a 360 and automatic with manual steering.
As far as Doug's and TTI's ,I have read some of your posts, so I know where they stand , next would be looking for the best deal.

i don't think hooker make an under chassis header for an early abody.

as far as tti and dougs for an early abody. i'd sacrifice some and go with the smaller tube and collectors of the dougs.. i think they fit better. the tti are super tight on the early abody.

My Doug's Headers weren't that hard to install on the 340 in my '65 Dart GT as some have commented on various forums. I had help from a buddy for the driver's side. Installing that side alone would be a challenge in my opinion.
My problem is that the pipe that fits between the starter and the torsion bar just touches the starter and is only a 1/4" from the torsion bar. I'm going to have to dimple the tube 1/4" to give some clearance for the Chrysler mini starter. I tried 3 different Powermaster clockable starters to no avail. Tried a /6 starter per Slant Six Dan and too much meat has to be removed from the bell housing for it to fit. No one else seems to have had that issue, and since my clearance problem is all engine related, moving it shouldn't make any difference.

Good luck, the job is not as daunting as some have suggested, but help from a friend will make the job much easier.

I misread your question on headers. I thought you were getting rid of your inner fenders.

I have Doug's on my 66 Dart. It's a 360 4-speed setup. I have a lift in my garage so the headers were not that hard to install. I'd make a couple of shims for the motor mounts if you have to lift the engine a little to clear the torsion bars. I have Schumacker motor mounts and isolators on the car and they are a tight fit.

I used a rebuilt mid 1990's Dakota starter that I picked up at NAPA. No problems at all with it's installation.

Old news but unless 400+ hp.
Shorty headers on early a not a economic
Choice? Especially with 4speed.

I'm debating, thanks

Dave

I misread your question on headers. I thought you were getting rid of your inner fenders.

I have Doug's on my 66 Dart. It's a 360 4-speed setup. I have a lift in my garage so the headers were not that hard to install. I'd make a couple of shims for the motor mounts if you have to lift the engine a little to clear the torsion bars. I have Schumacker motor mounts and isolators on the car and they are a tight fit.

I used a rebuilt mid 1990's Dakota starter that I picked up at NAPA. No problems at all with it's installation.
As I commented above, I have 1/4" clearance with the driver's side torsion bar, so no problem there. A Mopar Performance starter is identical in fitment and size to a 90's Dakota starter I've been told, but just in case I've been advised wrongly, I'll pick one up for a trial fitment. I have the Schumacher motor mounts on my 340 also.

Another vote for Dougs.
5.9 Mag swapped "66 Cuda.
Factory 273 mounts.
NO fitment issues.
Original starter AND Magnum mini starter BOTH fit.
Had them off 3 times now and no issues at all with fit.

Well I pulled the trigger on a set of Doug's d450's.
Ordered them through my brother at AutoZone for $850,best deal I could find.
Next to start collecting up the parts for the 360 engine swap in the spring.

Awesome! I'm getting ready to order some Doug's also for my Magnum swap.

Did you go with raw, painted, or ceramic??

I had Dougs on my 65 Valiant with a 360. Best fitting and easiest install ever. Yes, you have to remove several things, but take your time and follow the deestruckshuns and you'll be fine. People who cry about how hard Dougs are to install probably need to take up stamp collecting. Or buy a Chevy. It's about the same thing.

Yes it is a good deal ,compared to what I have been seeing.
I got 20% off with manager discount through my brother.

One of the advantages with going to the Dougs if your using a 10.5 bell or 727 you can use the Mopar mini starter and with the TTI system you must use a RobMc starter.

Current auto zone 20% discount code online is TRAVELSAFE

Maybe see if your brother can couple that with his employee discount. If so, cancel the order and re-buy thru him.

I've always liked the look of zoomies on a '64 Barracuda, I'd go with them.

I had Doug's on my 65 Barracuda, with a 318 and later on a 360, I used a mini starter, no clearance problems . Had had them on and off several times. I recommend you do what you have to to make sure the slip joints do not oxidize and stick themselves together, because they will over time.

It let me enter it online. I was pricing them out for my son.
I tried ordering them with that promo code and I keep getting a message saying it cannot be applied. I have tried chatting with a customer service person and have sent 2 emails; I have yet to receive an answer that adequately explains why this code cannot be used.

Especially if others are getting this discount.

Screenshot_2019-11-25-12-03-59.png
It won't allow me to apply it now, either. However, here a screen shot of the email I got it in:

Last edited:
Old news but unless 400+ hp.
Shorty headers on early a not a economic
Choice? Especially with 4speed.

I'm debating, thanks

Dave
Shorties? No one makes them for early A's except the old Spitfires.

-
Back