Hooker header shift linkage flip?

-

LivewireBlanco

Reaction score
I'm putting some Hooker Competition headers on my 71 Dart 318. It has PS and column shift auto. The engine is out of the car so there is tons of room to work. The instructions say to flip a part of the shift linkage and bend a rod, then there is a part to cut and weld. Has anybody installed these headers and done all this that can walk me through this or take some pics for reference?

Sorry man, I've got Hooker Comps on my Duster, but non-PS, and aftermarket RMVB shifter. So I got nothing lol. Keep bumping the thread, someone will chime in. ;)

Be well,
Pat

Hi, I read your post last week, went to the Hooker site and downloaded the install sheet and read it to see what differences from the Doug's and TTI'S I've been installing. The instructions and diagrams were so good, I didn't respond to your question because I honestly didn't think I could do any better than the info provided by Hooker, and was hoping someone else might add something. Perhaps others feel the same, pretty basic. Good luck, cheers

Hi, I read your post last week, went to the Hooker site and downloaded the install sheet and read it to see what differences from the Doug's and TTI'S I've been installing. The instructions and diagrams were so good, I didn't respond to your question because I honestly didn't think I could do any better than the info provided by Hooker, and was hoping someone else might add something. Perhaps others feel the same, pretty basic. Good luck, cheers

I did the same. Some people just aren't meant to work on cars. Nothin to be ashamed of. We caint all be brain surgeons either.

I did the same. Some people just aren't meant to work on cars. Nothin to be ashamed of. We caint all be brain surgeons either.
Just asking for photos and whether they had to flip it. If i wasn't meant to work on my car then I guess it just built itself, engine included.

Just asking for photos and whether they had to flip it. If i wasn't meant to work on my car then I guess it just built itself, engine included.

I understand. But this is a mod a blind man could do. With a deaf mute giving him instructions. I meant no disrespect. I have zero idea of your capabilities. My subscription for my crystal ball ran out last week and I caint afford to renew it. Those Hooker instructions are clear as a bell. If you cannot understand those, then I must refer you to post #5. Again. no disrespect meant.

You don't have be derogatory either. I come to site because of its invaluable knowledge base and because it's forum member are usually very helpful and I have have read several posts by you and others have helped me with my project. I have learned tips from engine building, to carb tuning, to how to align doors. I specifically Google search for a bodys only because this forum pertains to me and my car the most. Maybe you are just having a bad day, or maybe you helped once novice too many but I take offence when anyone belittles others.

Now maybe I wasn't clear in my question and that's entirely possible. I've read, on this forum, that some members haven't had to adjust their shift linkage at all and I was hoping that someone who has these headers and my car's particular setup would come in with some helpful bit of knowledge. If I have to mod my linkage then I will, but I was still hoping for something more than just "some people just aren't meant to work on cars". No disrespect.

I had a 71 Roadrunner 340 with column shift back in the 80's.
I remember having to tweak the linkage back then too.
The shifter was very sloppy afterward.
I ended up getting a floor mounted cable shifter.
Good luck.

I can't imagine Hooker would add this to the instructions if it wasn't necessary. Now that said, you won't really know till you install the engine/trans/headers and see what you have.

I had a 71 Roadrunner 340 with column shift back in the 80's.
I remember having to tweak the linkage back then too.
The shifter was very sloppy afterward.
I ended up getting a floor mounted cable shifter.
Good luck.

Oh yea.
I had glass packs and pipes that came out on a 45 ahead of the back tires.
Anyone following me at night would tell me it shot 3 foot flames when I was decelerating.
Too bad there was no cell phone video back then.

I just looked in the HOW TO section...
It looks like TTI includes new linkage with their header kits.
Maybe compare yours to theirs ?

I don't have Hooker headers but I didn't have to flip my linkage with the headers I used and the instructions said to. My car is a p/s car.

-
Back