%$#&* Hooker Headers!

-

71Duster

Reaction score
I pulled the heads of this winter, I knew the leaked abit before but nothing to serious, bought the new fel-pro raceing header gaskets and they leak like a sive! Tightened and re-tighened the bolts but b oth sides leak bad. I didnt like the way the flanges where made on them with the raised sealing edge. Are there any gaskets I can use untill I have the cash to buy some TTI's?

In most cases, the flanges are warped due to us overtightening, so they dont leak..I always use the Mr Gakset Ultraseals, and I use flat file to remove any high spots..Do not use any silicone on the mating surfaces, only on the threads of the bolts, and tighten for the center two out. I also will replce the supplied bolts with either allen headed, or std cap screw styles that are about 1/4 inch longer, so they dont weep coolant. if you really tighten them so they dont leak, you bend the outer flanges every time. the stage 8 locking bolts are the ticket with aluminum heads..

A goos set of HP manifolds will cure all that ails you. Sounds so nice when the exhaust doesn't leak.

With my cam and set up I need The heades, and the 68-69 HP manifolds are getting pricey these days. I was talking to Don@FBO today and he has hooker supercomps on his Fish Fry and sold me a set of Cometic header gaskets. Gonna see how they go.

-
Back