Horn on my 72 just quit working.

-

Paladin06

Reaction score
The car has been idle in the garage for a couple weeks. When I fire it for a drive, I note the horn does not work. Checked all the connections at the horn and they are good. I think np it's the relay. Replaced the relay, still no horn. Any ideas?

Thx

Greg A

Disconnect the horn and test it. This way you'll know if the horn is real bad or you have a break in the system.

There is a horn relay on the firewall, about the size of a tater-tot. If you disonnect @ the horn you should be able to hear the relay click when you tap on the button. I not, bad relay or fuse.

The horn relay in my car is just above the kick panel on the drivers side. I have replaced it with no change.

I do not see that the horn has a fuse in my owners manual.

There is a horn relay on the firewall, about the size of a tater-tot. If you disonnect @ the horn you should be able to hear the relay click when you tap on the button. I not, bad relay or fuse.

use a test light have someone honk the horn while holding the test light to the horn wire. does it light? if so make sure you have a good ground. if no check fuse then check relay if not sure which fuse check them all not that many,

bench test disconnect the wire going to it run a wire from the battery to the horn and touch the connection. does it work? if no check ground or add a ground wire lather rinse repeat. still no replace horn.

Thanks....where is the fuse? My shop manual does not show a fuse.

use a test light have someone honk the horn while holding the test light to the horn wire. does it light? if so make sure you have a good ground. if no check fuse then check relay if not sure which fuse check them all not that many,

bench test disconnect the wire going to it run a wire from the battery to the horn and touch the connection. does it work? if no check ground or add a ground wire lather rinse repeat. still no replace horn.

I traced a yellow wire going back to the ignition switch....
72ValiantA.JPG
72ValiantB.JPG

Hopefully not a short. I had a issue with my horns that when I put a new fuse in and used the horn, it would continue to blow the fuse...tossed the horn.

OK, when I run a wire direct from the battery to the horn, one horn works and one does not. When I connect the horn wire directly to the working horn, it does NOT work. I did install a new relay already. The fuses look good to me.

Corroded wire is what it sounds like and a broken horn.

The relay is also the key buzzer and the buzzer works fine. When I press the horn buttonI don't even hear the relay click like it does on my 70 Duster. :-(

It's most likely a bad horn button, or bad connection. Short the horn button wire to ground at the relay and see if it works. Then go up to the harness connector under the column and probe the column connector and ground the wire there.

When I short the horn button to ground at the (#5) post on the relay, assuming that black wire is ground and I press the horn, the KEY BUZZER sounds... :-:)banghead:

QUOTE=67Dart273;1969785511]It's most likely a bad horn button, or bad connection. Short the horn button wire to ground at the relay and see if it works. Then go up to the harness connector under the column and probe the column connector and ground the wire there.[/QUOTE]

That particular diagram posted above has a mistake where the horn feeds through the bulkhead connector.

Here, download a 72 Factory shop manual:

[ame]http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/Misc.%20car%20info/1972%20Plymouth%20Chassis%20Serv%20Man.pdf[/ame]

wiring diagram index, page 8-144

engine compartment, 8-147

inst. panel, 8-150

On 8-147, dark green/ red tr comes from the horns to "L" of the bulkhead

Then down to 8-150, "L" of the bulkhead connector changes to S2-12Y (YELLOW) off the right of the page, THAT IS NOT CORRECT, that is the start wire from the key!!!

So on page 8-150, the actual horn wire is shown at "T" of the bulkhead, H2-16 dark green/ red tr. So I don't know whether L or T is correct

So looking at the drawing below, the pins are coded

Far left, marked K comes from the "Key" (black)

The 3 terminals at the right are marked

Top right, HS is the "horn switch" or button (black)

Lower right, H goes to horns (dark green/ red)

Center is B from battery (violet)

Attachments

• horn.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 600
Take relay from the 70 and try it in the 72.

OK so ground the one marked HS and you should hear it click. If so, see if the "H" (horns" terminal is hot with the jumper grounded. If so, likely the horns are not getting power through the bulkhead connector.

When I grounded HS the solenoid clicked and the horn blows... So does that mean my horn switch is bad or???????

OK so ground the one marked HS and you should hear it click. If so, see if the "H" (horns" terminal is hot with the jumper grounded. If so, likely the horns are not getting power through the bulkhead connector.

Sure sounds like it. Backtrack to the column connector and back probe it there. If you get it to blow right there at the connector it just about has to be either the switch or the slip ring/ brush.

-
Back