Hotchkis spring installation....

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
Got 'em installed a little while ago. Finally been able to drive it. I noticed some "shackle clap" on acceleration and braking... The spring shackles hit the frame boxes on the rear of the car...I used the stock front spring mounts, I do have aftermarket adjustable shackles but the number 1 adjustment should be the stock shackle position, which is where I would like to keep it. Any one have this problem with these springs?

You see in these pics my shackles angle towards the rear of the car at ride height, they should be straight up and down at ride heaight...

Steve, Autoxcuda, where you at??

IMG_3346.jpg

IMG_3348.jpg

IMG_3349.jpg

IMG_3351.jpg

IMG_3350.jpg

Hmm....Here is the HD shackles that Firm Feel makes for our cars, even theirs is not narrow between the bushings...The gentleman at firm feel says their bolt center to center measurement is 3.5"

HDshacklekit.jpg

....The measurement I have in the lowest setting on mine is 2.5 inches, so I'd be an inch from stock, so that could be a problem as well. If I put it on the next hole down, I'll be at about 4 inches or so....

Can someone measure the center to center for me on stock shackles? Wish I had a set...

Couldn't find any past pictures so I just went in the garage and took these pics and measurements. Car is at ride height. I have stock front leaf spring hangers though. The Hotchkis dropped hangers were too low for my very small diameter tires (24.5" dia) and TTI headers. And the Hotchkis hangers don't move the spring eye rear or forward.

Looks like 3.5" center to center on the stock shackles. I'm measuring from the center of the top bolt, but the camera angle makes it look like I'm measuring from the top edge of the bolt.

Attachments

• IMG_6063.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_6065.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_6066.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_6067.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_6070.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 311
....The measurement I have in the lowest setting on mine is 2.5 inches, so I'd be an inch from stock, so that could be a problem as well. If I put it on the next hole down, I'll be at about 4 inches or so....

Is there more clearance at 4" ? If so, run it at 4". IMHO, you'll need the extra ground clearance anyway. Then, grind some clearance into the back edge of the shackle bars.

...Next check pinion angle when the car is together with the weight (engine) in it.

Is there more clearance at 4" ? If so, run it at 4". IMHO, you'll need the extra ground clearance anyway. Then, grind some clearance into the back edge of the shackle bars.

...Next check pinion angle when the car is together with the weight (engine) in it.

Yes today I got it in the middle hole. The center to center measurement is 3 3/4", so almost close to the stock shackle length. After doing this, I do have a touch more clearance, and I suppose I could grind some clearance in the back edge of the shackles for more wiggle room.

I think I will run into the same problems as you if I use the supplied Hotchkis front spring mounts. I also have TTI headers and 24.5" diameter tires all the way around. I kept the stock front hangers in there.

-
Back