How big of a jerk am I? Or are you?

-

hosehead

Reaction score
dont answer just yet but if you have time for a long winded question, read on.
At the moment, there is a small film crew in my backyard filming a backyard remodel internet show. My sister in law is head of this company that makes these little promotional videos for this home remodel website.
I work in this industry doing lighting on commercials, tv shows etc so I know the havoc a film crew can wreak on someone's house. But since it's for family and they are only in the backyard, I agreed as it would really help out my sister in law. It's a crew of only about eight people and we supposedly get about $1k in patio furniture for our trouble. The wife wanted to do it sooooooo........here we are.
The only worry here is that my 65 belvedere lives in the driveway in front of the garage, behind the house. My only stipulation in allowing these guys in our yard was that my car not be touched. At all.
So Friday they came and dropped off tools, cleared off our patio etc and were set to start filming today. I got off work early today and peered out the back window to check out the operation and was a little unnerved. A couple of hipster dudes leaning on the car. Lots of people's personal belongings on my car. And some heavy duty extension cords(stingers) across the hood. That's when one of the hipster dudes dragged the cord across the hood of my car. I am now over it, officially. Lol.
Now bear in mind that my car doesn't have fancy paint or anything but I have worked hard on it and I really like the car. It's heavily patina'd but has a near perfect grille, rechromed bumpers, really nice original tinted glass, nice brightwork, etc.
Right about then my wife came home and I told her we(she had dealt with them exclusively up to now) needed to talk to these folks about the car. We politely told them that we didn't want the car touched and reminded them that we had stated that initially, as well. Not to mention, they could run their wires UNDER the car quite easily.
The producer people were super nice but the kids on the crew looked at me like I was from mars. I understand that my car looks like junk to a non car person but I do have quite a bit of money in this thing. I felt stupid for a minute but then I thought to myself, "hey screw that! It's my damn car and I don't want anyone messing with it!"
So my question to you guys is, what is your policy about people touching your car? And, obviously, I know you guys don't want anyone touching a car with nice paint, etc. I have included a picture of the whole operation so you can see the condition of the car and the remodel operation. Do you get pissed if someone leans on your driver/beater?
I was just thinking about this after these guys left and wondered what you guys thoughts were.

Damn kids!! Get off my lawn!!!:lol:
Here is a reference photo. And yes, there is a porta-John next to my car.

IMG_1419.JPG

I believe I would be telling this crew the rules one more time...only this time while open carrying

I would also make it crystal clear to the sister in law, that if it were to happen again the show is over and the whole crew is now trespassing, her included

It is about respect for other peoples property.

Sadly, not many young people have it.

Doesn't matter what car looks like. They were disrespectful of your property and didn't follow your instructions. I probably would have said screw the patio furniture and kicked their *** of my property. Producers should have been overseeing what was going on.

Agreed. I'm sure it looks like something to lean on to these kids. And to diymirage, I can only imagine what these guys would do if I came out packing! :rofl: They'd piss themselves, for sure!

"Yo, Spielberg: get that **** OFF my car!"
My friend got a free ceiling fan after the crew scratched his hardwood floor filming an Ellen Degernate pilot. I had a green softball bat he borrowed that made the pilot in the background parked behind the front door.

Make a cardboard sign:

This car is not a shelf for your belongings nor to be leaned on. HANDS OFF

Yeah, you're a jerk.

That Belvedere is built like a WW2 battleship. The odd power cord or iPhone sitting on the trunk ain't gonna do diddly. You know it, and we know it.

Let it go and enjoy your new furniture :)

It is about respect for other peoples property.

Doesn't matter what car looks like. They were disrespectful of your property and didn't follow your instructions.

Screw those numbskulls. You were too kind.

I don't like people (especially strangers) getting too close to my car, let alone leaning on it. Or piling their crap on it.

Making movies is my bread and butter, but other than that the movie industry can kiss my Azz.
You would never see a film crew at my house, around my cars, just for that reason. Most crews I work with have consideration for people's property, but then you have those kids that just dont get it.
Im constantly telling people to have consideration for the home owners stuff. Plants is one thing off the top of my head, that pisses me off when people arent careful. Anyways....Hope you enjoy your patio furniture. :)

Making movies is my bread and butter, but other than that the movie industry can kiss my Azz.
You would never see a film crew at my house, around my cars, just for that reason. Most crews I work with have consideration for people's property, but then you have those kids that just dont get it.
Im constantly telling people to have consideration for the home owners stuff. Plants is one thing off the top of my head, that pisses me off when people arent careful. Anyways....Hope you enjoy your patio furniture. :)

John for the win......:lol:

I was taught at a VERY early age that regardless of the condition of the vehicle, you don't lean, crawl, sit, stand, lay, or otherwise place yourself on or against "the car." ANY car, ours, theirs, cousins, whoever.

I was taught at a VERY early age that regardless of the condition of the vehicle, you don't lean, crawl, sit, stand, lay, or otherwise place yourself on or against "the car." ANY car, ours, theirs, cousins, whoever.

Yeah yeah yeah....we were all taught that because our old man was a car guy too.

This car isn't a thin skinned shiny A body. It's an old skool tank B body with 2% paint.

The hipsters could see that they were doing no harm, and so can everyone in this thread. At some point we all have to decide what matters and let go of our rage at the world.

I like the sign idea.
I would ask where there cars are and go sit on them and throw cords over them .
One sign might simply read
RESPECT !!
THIS IS NOT YOUR CAR !!
SHOW SOME !
P.S.
I believe in the 2nd amendment !
Thank You !

Yeah yeah yeah....we were all taught that because our old man was a car guy too.

This car isn't a thin skinned shiny A body. It's an old skool tank B body with 2% paint.

The hipsters could see that they were doing no harm, and so can everyone in this thread. At some point we all have to decide what matters and let go of our rage at the world.

So you think it's ok to pile stuff all over someone else's car ?

Yeah, you're a jerk.

That Belvedere is built like a WW2 battleship. The odd power cord or iPhone sitting on the trunk ain't gonna do diddly. You know it, and we know it.

Let it go and enjoy your new furniture :)
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..........mr gorsky....I gonna tapdance on the hood of your demon....

-
Back