How did you get into MoPars ?

-
My Dad and my oldest brother were Mopar nuts. I can still remember this as if it happened yesterday. When I was eleven years old Dad Mum and I had a little weekend holiday in Penticton, I took a walk towards downtown and saw this young guy doing "the loop" in a hemi orange 70 or 71 340 Duster...looked bran new and probably was. I was hooked.

I get into Mopars just like any other car, just open the door, sit down, close the door....lol
wrong, only one correct way to get into a mopar

1429218611-hoodslide.gif

How did you get into MoPars?

For me it was the fact that my dad always drove them, his fav was his 1973 dodge polara w a 318. my grandfather had a white 69 satellite with a black vinyl top, and one of those lit up oil filled compasses on the dash, my grandma had a 64 dodge dart GT. My uncle had a dark green 68 road runner 383. I loved the sape of grandpas sattie and the color combo black top and interior, white paint. The big dashboard with the overhang from the dash pad. That car started me on my love affair with 66-70 B bodies. He traded it in back in 1977 for a Volare. I just about died inside when he did that.

To me it was just natural to have a chrysler product of some sort. I was born in 1968, but identified with the pentastar logo pretty early on. That starter sound you vould always tell what it was without even looking. My thoughts back then were if you want a car, you buy a dodge, plymouth or chrysler. Anything else was just a knock off.

As i got older, my older brothers got their licences and eventually both bought toyota pickups. An unforgivable sin in my mind, but whatever. In the rust belt in the late 70s early 80s those trucks only lasted 4-5 years before the rust demons started eating em.

I stayed true to MoPar back then, owned my share. Bought a 68 charger from a cousin at 15 years old. Learned how to do body work, paint, mechanical work. Picked up a 66 coronet 440 model with slant 6 , owned a 77 charger SE, 75 charger SE, 69 charger R/T 4 speed, 68 barracuda fastback, 1988 dodge daytona shelby Z T top turbo ll , 69 dart western sport special, and eventually branched out to own GMs and Fords, but never japanese or korean cars. My first love has always been MoPars. I am fostering that with my son. He knows the pentastar as being MoPar, as well as the MoPar M. Currently have another 1988 daytona shelby Z T top turbo ll, 1967 barracuda notchback, 1969 barracuda notchback.

I also have had some brand X over the years. 1973 ford ranchero GT, 1971 chevy C/10 custom, and currently 2 brand X that i bought new, will never sell either 2007 Mustang GT 4.6 5 speed with 3.55 gears. I LOVE that car!!! 1994 chevy silverado C1500 350 5 speed 3.55 gears. She has been in my life from day 1 when i ordered her as a special order off the option sheets. Great truck, great styling. A family member. She is my parts chaser, junkyard runner, all around companion. I know its not a mopar but my son loves her too. He gets upset if i dont pick him up after school in dads "cool old truck" lol.

So how about you? How did you get into MoPars, the finest automobiles on the planet.

It was 1983 I was 18 and needed my first car. My search led me to a ‘74 Gold Duster. 318 auto. It had a snakeskin roof. I bought it for $450.00 and drove it home.
Fast forward to 2018 and it has been a blur of SIX PAC , Hemi, 440’s and 383’s. Currently have a ‘68 GTS car along with some other brands.

It was 1965. Mrs. Aiken was my second mother. She would loan her '64 383 Sport Sat. to me and a another "horsey" girl that car, along with her 2 horse trailer, and we would head off the a horse show somewhere!! Really
White car with red and white int. console auto. She owned part of the local small town Ga. Chrysler dealership. Was life different back then, or is it just my imagination?

It was 1965. Mrs. Aiken was my second mother. She would loan her '64 383 Sport Sat. to me and a another "horsey" girl that car, along with her 2 horse trailer, and we would head off the a horse show somewhere!! Really
White car with red and white int. console auto. She owned part of the local small town Ga. Chrysler dealership. Was life different back then, or is it just my imagination?
Life was different back then. Even in the 70s it was different. Much simpler. Guys lets not flip this one into a political rant.

Back in '64, buddies' cousin took us for a "ride" in his 64 409 4 speed Impala. Yep he pinned us to the seat, then he said, IF it was a big block Mopar, it wold be faster! I knew then, I wanted a MOPAR!!!
Then in '66 I saw it sitting on the Cehvy dealers used car lot! I wanted it BAD> A black dude bought it, and promptly blew the engine!!! Then he bought a new 66 Hemi Sat.. and ..promptly blew that engine!!!!

Growing up my parents had a mix of GM and Mopar. My dad was a big guy so we always had big cars, New Yorkers, Imperials, Electra 225, Olds 88s.

My aunt bought a 55 Chevy 2dr ht V8 auto new. I loved that car. My first memory of looking at a car engine was in 59 when I was 8 and seeing the 392 Hemi in my mother's 57 New Yorker wagon, thinking, "wow, is that big". For some reason I was surprised that you could also see the ground, that there was no floor. Around this same time a friend of my father had a 58 300, I remember seeing that the speedo went to 150 and was impressed.

I learned to drive in his 61 Electra in 64 when I was thirteen. When I was 15 I got a job at the local news agency. They had a small fleet of A100 vans. After I got my driver's license I started driving for them and fell in love with A100s. A year later my first vehicle was a used 66 A100.

I don't have any strict brand loyalty but do really like certain mopars and certain GM stuff. Since 68 I have owned a lot of different mopars and a lot of different Chevys and enjoyed them all. If I was to have a collection of favorite cars it would be mostly 60s cars, 65 Rivera GS, 65 GTO, 66 Nova SS, 68 Charger RT, 68 Barracuda 340, 69 Elcamino SS396.

In 1972 I was 14 and started buying car magazines and liking Drag Racing, this is where I discovered S/A and SS/A most of B was ruled by Dodge and Plymouth. When I researched more I couldn't understand why the other three especially the big two with all there resources couldn't touch Chrysler, I was in.

Dad had a 1966 Chrysler Windsor 383 4 door hard top, Grandma had a 1967 Belvedere 273 which I learned to drive and got my license in the Belvedere. That's where it stuck.

Well in my early teens I fell in love with 67 Mustang Fastback. (Still think they look great) so I spent several years daydreaming of the day I would own one of my own. THen one day my caousin bought a 69 RoadRunner 383 Magnum 4 speed and on ride in that and I couldn't even spell Mustang anymore and I never looked back. Funny thing though is although Ive owned at least 100 Mopars since then, I have never owned a 69 Road Runner.

Basically when my beefed up 318
auto 67 cuda, at the time,
blew away 66 chevelle BB.
0 - 90mph

Like any other car. Through the driver door.

Like any other car. Through the driver door.
mostly this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My dad bought a 1963 sport fury, new. First trip to the dragstrip, with a friend who`s older brother had a hot corvette, there was a
"max wedge car" just like dads same color and everything. Guess which one I rooted for ! It was kicking about everything out there`s ***.
Been sold ever since-------------and the beat goes on.

-
Back