How do I change the disk on this thing?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I "inherited" some kind of Bosch electric tool (don't even know what you call these things). The cheap *** wrench/key tool keeps bending and I can't therefore take off the disc (I want to purchase some kind of sanding disc). I know enough to push the black button on the tool, to keep the disc stable while unscrewing the nut the holds the disk on. But the lock nut will not budge. So far I have used penetrating oil, a hammer, and even tried once to unscrew it in the opposite direction (counterclockwise in case it has reverse threads). Please inform an old novice how to overcome this little glitch in my work day. Thank you.

DSC05435.JPG

DSC05436.JPG

there should be a push in locking pin to hold it in place while you spin it off with the 2 hole wrench. No hammer required.

Last edited:
amoladora angular = angle grinder

Might be left handed threads, to be sure place a known right hand thread bolt next to it and see if the threads rotate in the same direction. same is right hand, opposite is left hand. you could also use a pipe wrench or slip joint wrench on the lock collar just be sure you are turning the correct direction.

by the way the blade on it is a diamond wheel for cutting concrete and can be pricey. it looks to have plenty of life left.

Some other ideas:

Last edited:
Push the lock get a friend to use a punch in the hole and knock it loose (with a ball pean hammer) claw hammers are for wood work.:)

Can be done with a large vice-grip or channel-lock also!

Bosch is pretty good brand...
I have a Makita at work.
Anyways.....
Left thumb on button and right hand channel locks.
Turn round retainer nut.
Makita round retainer nut has a key way that can strip and make it hard to get the round nut off.
The nut acts like a clutch.
30 years ago when I was welding, I loosened grinding wheels with a chipping hammer.

Last edited:
Grab the nut in a vice, but not so hard as to crimp the nut in place.
Lock the shaft, twist the tool to loosen nut. Work back n forth until loose.

Any fastener that sees cement dust is a *****.

I "inherited" some kind of Bosch electric tool (don't even know what you call these things). The cheap *** wrench/key tool keeps bending and I can't therefore take off the disc (I want to purchase some kind of sanding disc). I know enough to push the black button on the tool, to keep the disc stable while unscrewing the nut the holds the disk on. But the lock nut will not budge. So far I have used penetrating oil, a hammer, and even tried once to unscrew it in the opposite direction (counterclockwise in case it has reverse threads). Please inform an old novice how to overcome this little glitch in my work day. Thank you.

View attachment 1715244081

View attachment 1715244085

It's not a left hand thread (I just zoomed it)
If I can't get those loose by holding the pin and turning the wheel backwards by hand I put the nut part in my vise and then hold the pin and turn the motor counter clockwise.
Works every time.

Thanks for the tips, my sandblaster guy took it off for me (don't know what he used exactly). He said he broke it in the process, then he said just kidding.

How to identify right/left hand threads:

Go on the Bosch sight site and see if you can get a wrench for it, that one doesn't look original, it should be beefier. Buy the way that is a good angle grinder.

Jeff

-
Back