How do I maintain Single Stage Acrylic enamel?

-

66DartSedan

Reaction score
SO I just had my Dart painted SSAA with hardener, I've read I should wait 30-60 days before I wax it. But Can I wash it in the meantime?

It's metallic so i know you cant compound without messing up the metallic chips and create weird swirls.

Unfortunately i have to keep it outside so I'd like to know what I can do to keep it looking its best under the circumstances.

1966DodgeDarside.jpg

1966dodgedartfront.jpg

1966DodgeDartPass copy.jpg

1966DodgeDartRear.jpg

20180514_142643.jpg

man, thats nice. What about a car cover or park it under an eve? Cant imagine what some acidic bird **** would do to soft paint. I think One-Day painted mine SSA with no clearcoat (I did NOT want clear coat checking in 5 years) and its held up beautifully...in my garage.

man, thats nice. What about a car cover or park it under an eve? Cant imagine what some acidic bird **** would do to soft paint. I think One-Day painted mine SSA with no clearcoat (I did NOT want clear coat checking in 5 years) and its held up beautifully...in my garage.
Thanks man, yeah im very happy with how it turned out. I wish I had a garage, but I dont. I am gonna get a car cover that shows my plates so i dont get ticketed, but I wanna know about the washing, waxing, polishing, compounding of SSAE metallic paint.

not a paint expert, but I've been told you shouldn't get too aggressive with cleaner waxes and rubbing compounds with acrylic enamel paint. I've heard that the surface is relatively hard, but that surface is thin and if you wear through it, and expose the soft underneath it will deteriorate rather quickly. I tend to believe that is the case, because I was using Vista cleaner/ wax on my '76 Dodge pickup, and that's exactly what happened.

Single stage with hardener......old school, boy does that bring back the memories.

It will be awhile before the paint is fully cured (you can smell the solvents for many weeks, usually) so no waxing. Keep it clean as possible , but wash with cold water and mild soap when needed.

The last car that I painted acrylic enamel was 20 years ago with a Binks #7. It's a good system I think, your's looks real nice too.

I remember the body shop teacher telling us cold water rinse off only, and that the cold water helps cure the paint.That is during the 30-60 day wait. The use of hardener as you said should cut your wait time down.

Why, especially in your case did you go with SSAA, much less a metallic?

If you had cleared it you'd always be able to buff and it will hold up without a car cover in the elements like all the other cars on your street that sit out year round and still look decent.

Screw a car cover. Get you one of these from Harbor Freight. Anchor it to the ground and you're done. You can even get sides for them.

10 ft. x 20 ft. Portable Car Canopy
Yep, I bought one, took an afternoon to assemble. You will need a helping hand though. If you do, read the instructions! the bottom horizonal poles go in at the end of the assembly.

I'm asking for tips on maintenance and care for this type of paint, single stage acrylic enamel with hardener newly sprayed. I have to park it on the street unfortunately but what I'd like to know is when I take it to get detailed how should i polish it? How do you polish a SSAE metallic paint job? I plan on only spraying it with cold water for the new few months while it cures, thanks for that tip. But lets say 6 months goes by and it start to fade and oxidize how do I polish it?

I'm asking for tips on maintenance and care for this type of paint, single stage acrylic enamel with hardener newly sprayed. I have to park it on the street unfortunately but what I'd like to know is when I take it to get detailed how should i polish it? How do you polish a SSAE metallic paint job? I plan on only spraying it with cold water for the new few months while it cures, thanks for that tip. But lets say 6 months goes by and it start to fade and oxidize how do I polish it?
Water rinse wipe down for a few weeks. Wait a t least 30 days try to keep out of full sun. Light buffing and/ or good quality wax. Shouldnt need soap after that. Soap removes wax

Been there, do not worry so much. My car was painted like yours in 1982. Gently rinse with cold water and a deep cotton towel. no soap. no buffing. no rush to wax. try and park in shade.

-
Back