How do I remove defrost vent on dash?

-

73dart360

Reaction score
I am trying to replace plastic defrost vent and tubes ,there are 3 flat nuts on the under side I cannot get a ratchet on them any ideas would be appreciated 65 dart w/air

IMG_20200421_085209_01.jpg

IMG_20200421_084718.jpg

I used a 18" 1/4 drive extension, socket and universal.
Can't get to all of them with a deep nut driver , if I remember correctly.

I am trying to replace plastic defrost vent and tubes ,there are 3 flat nuts on the under side I cannot get a ratchet on them any ideas would be appreciated 65 dart w/air

View attachment 1715513113

View attachment 1715513114

When all else seems to fail I have a 4 inch crescent wrench I use for things like that.
Yea, it's a pain and takes patience but it works.
On that broken vent I would start snapping it off in small pieces from the top side.

When all else seems to fail I have a 4 inch crescent wrench I use for things like that.
Yea, it's a pain and takes patience but it works.
On that broken vent I would start snapping it off in small pieces from the top side.
A 4-in crescent will not fit in there it's tight I think maybe starting to snap off the top might be an idea

A 4-in crescent will not fit in there it's tight I think maybe starting to snap off the top might be an idea

Sure it will, I did it that way with my own car.:D
point the wrench straight at the nut and turn it one flat at a time instead of trying to get it on the nut like normal and turn it all the way around.

Also, on a part you will never use again you can snap off the stud with the nut still on it.
Sometimes they snap right where the nut cut into the plastic stud.

I got it ,i took a gasket scraper and broke it up ,the screwed thread for the thin nut is plastic that is molded into the vent so when you brake the plastic you can brake off the threaded stud you push on the broken with a screw driver stud it falls inside on the floor.

Sure it will, I did it that way with my own car.:D
point the wrench straight at the nut and turn it one flat at a time instead of trying to get it on the nut like normal and turn it all the way around.

Also, on a part you will never use again you can snap off the stud with the nut still on it.
Sometimes they snap right where the nut cut into the plastic stud.
thats what i did it worked great and saved a bunch of time greatly appreciated

Got em.
A drywall screw lightly screwed into the top of them and needle nose pulled em out.

Also, if you haven't taken out the good vent yet, make sure to give it a shot of PB Blaster or something similar. Those plastic studs break off real easy, and the nuts tend to stick making them snap off instead of unscrew.

Also, if you haven't taken out the good vent yet, make sure to give it a shot of PB Blaster or something similar. Those plastic studs break off real easy, and the nuts tend to stick making them snap off instead of unscrew.
there was no way to access the nuts because of the air conditioning unit ,I broke off the studs very easy saved a ton of time

-
Back