How do my bearings look ?

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
Blew a freeze plug and decided to tear down the engine to check head geskets , bore and bearings .
Engine had very few hours and I think the freeze plug blew due to me using rtv on install vs adhesive like Indian head .
Bearings look to have more wear than they should for maybe 3 hrs of run time.

Cam bearings

BAB649F3-B390-43F3-9AEE-3985BCB0FCAA.jpeg
58F52FDA-2DF4-4387-B016-37CA27CBBC70.jpeg
A991CA47-E9AA-46C1-B966-D756D3424707.jpeg
33A81602-8A9D-451F-995C-51810F415BD9.jpeg
C9C6A553-A99C-406F-861D-852E029A39CB.jpeg

With a motor torn down that far, I would replace those. This is not a place to go cheap, your oil pressure will thank you.

First and last pic of the cam bearings looks ugly. Did you scuff it up with scotchbrite across the bearing or is that an illusion? There is more "polishing" and a little scoring, than I would expect after three hours

I did not touch them .
I figured I would replace them but from a diagnostic standpoint I would like to know if there is an issue.

While we are on the subject ... here is the deck finish . I am running cometic head gaskets and they require a surface finish of 50RA or finer. I dont know what that looks like. Can you tell by this pic?

EE983055-06A9-49D3-8981-2C5AB5952D00.jpeg

looks like a little grit made it's way on the bearings during assembly.
other than that looks normal.

I did not touch them .
I figured I would replace them but from a diagnostic standpoint I would like to know if there is an issue.

While we are on the subject ... here is the deck finish . I am running cometic head gaskets and they require a surface finish of 50RA or finer. I dont know what that looks like. Can you tell by this pic?

View attachment 1715771770
I would ditch the Cometic and get the Felpro alternative. Save your money

I did not touch them .

View attachment 1715771770

To know the surface finish you really need a profilometer. And I think Cometic has revised the surface finish number. To use the eye test method the surface should look like a mirror, and not be burnished.
Some of those bearings look like dirt went through them. The cam bearings look like you had low idle oil pressure. That will buff the Babbitt to a shine like that.

Oil pressure was good . I suspect debris. Time to clean , rinse , clean ,brush , rinse etc

Oil pressure was good . I suspect debris. Time to clean , rinse , clean ,brush , rinse etc
It looks like the cam bearings were nicked slightly on the edge during install.
a little scrubbing and polishing the journals should do it. I'd check them cam bearings closely.
New bearings are cheap insurance.

They are a bit tore up from trash, not re useable in my book.
Did you cut open the oil filter to see what caused it?

I am sure it was insufficient cleaning by the assembler . Me ....
This time it will be very clean !

Those cams bearings look like they where scraped for sizing after they where installed. The thrust bearing looks like its had some heat on it.

I am sure it was insufficient cleaning by the assembler . Me ....
This time it will be very clean !
you been around the block a time or two.
I'm sure if there was anything out of wack or questionable you would see it.
The lighting in the pics is showing stuff that isn't there.

you been around the block a time or two.
I'm sure if there was anything out of wack or questionable you would see it.
The lighting in the pics is showing stuff that isn't there.

I wish that were the case... I will get new bearings all around. Too much work pulling it again .

Last time I walked around the block I came home to the wrong house ...lol

I wish that were the case... I will get new bearings all around. Too much work pulling it again .
is the thrust bearing blue from heat or is it an illusion from the pic.
The bearings should be replaced for sure.

-
Back