How do slants fit in righthand drive cars?

-

Trevor B

Reaction score
As I was looking at the right side of the slant in my 1971 Duster today, I wondered how they got these into Australian cars. Obviously, it was a very popular engine down there but did they shift the entire engine leftward? How did this work?

The Australian ones I've seen have steering boxes that mount to the frame horn instead of the K frame.

That gives more clearance in that area.

Let me clarify: I understand that the engine goes in there, right side up and bolted in. But things like the steering column and, to a lesser degree the master cylinder (especially if there is a booster) would seem to be a tight fit. Mounting the steering box in a different place, as YY1 points out above, would make a difference. It's already tight on that right side...

Let me clarify: I understand that the engine goes in there, right side up and bolted in. But things like the steering column and, to a lesser degree the master cylinder (especially if there is a booster) would seem to be a tight fit. Mounting the steering box in a different place, as YY1 points out above, would make a difference. It's already tight on that right side...

I apologize....I just couldn't let that opportunity slip by. lol If you notice too, the master cylinder is not mounted on the "driver's side". It's operated on the left side of the vehicle with a remote rod from the right side, which gives more room as well.

It's all still bolted in, though. LOL

It was my understanding they have use a 6cyl in line hemi engine on right hand drive cars. The slant six is not used down under or across the pond.

so my question from the OP is on the cars we have seen on this web site from overseas with right hand drive v8 (recently the 318 barracudas a few weeks ago) do they use different exhaust manifolds?

I am not sure if it was a slant/Mopar, but i have seen right hand drive where the brake booster is still on the left, the pedal is hooked up through transverse linkages etc. they find ways.

I didn't think they had the slant, they had the hemi six straight up inline.

I'd love to see what the transverse linkage for an opposite-side mounted master cylinder looks like. However, check these out...

Here's a blown slant with the MC clearly in front of the brake pedal (from Aussie Speedshop):
blown-slant-six.png

And here's the "Hemi 245," a different kind of slant used in the Aussie cars. According to Wikipedia, it was introduced in 1970. You can see it is much more upright, like the Ford and GM 6, among other differences.
Aussie Pacer Hemi 245.jpg

By the way, since starting this thread this morning, I happened to talk to an older Australian neighbor and he clearly remembers when the slant hit the Aussie market in the 1960s - he says all the gearheads loved them because (unless you were rich and could afford a V8) they were an affordable powerplant that absolutely smoked the other straight sixes on the market: Holden (GM in Australia) and Ford. Unfortunately he didn't have any other information about the particulars of the slant in the righthand drive cars!

Slant-6s were used in Australian-market valiants from the R-model ('61 sold as a '62 model down there) up through the VF model ('69). A different oil pump was used, with female pipe threads for inlet and output. The oil filter was remote-mounted on the RH inner fender in the R-model, above the water pump on the '62 S-model, and on the LH side of the block near the oil pan rail on subsequent models. The steering box mounted to the frame rail, not the K-frame. The brake master cylinder was straight ahead of the brake pedal, on the RH side of the firewall. In the case of power brakes, a remote booster was generally used: hydraulic line from the master cylinder over to a booster mounted on the RH inner fender or the RH side of the firewall, which operated on a "sub master" cylinder, which sent fluid to the brakes. This also allowed for interesting setups like boosted front brakes and unboosted rear brakes, which was done on some of the South African Valiants and might also have been on some Australian models.

Starting on the '70 VG model, the Hemi-6 (a non-slanted, upright six which was not actually a hemi) supplanted the Slant-6 in Australian-market Valiants, but those same VG (…VH, VJ, VK, CL, CM…) Valiants were exported with 225 Slant-6s to South Africa and some other countries.

Do some Google image searching. AP5 Valiant engine bay. VF Valiant engine bay. RV1 Valiant engine bay. SV1 Valiant engine bay. AP6 Valiant engine bay.

Chrysler built right hand drive cars for domestic use (mail delivery). There are postings on this site of a RHD Barracuda convertible. I had found a RHD Barracuda Fastback in a Binghamton NY junkyard almost 30 years ago but the engine was gone and we didn’t take any pictures of it but I wish we did.

Slant-6s were used in Australian-market valiants from the R-model AP6 Valiant engine bay.

YEA! Slantsixdan. Glad to see your still here Dan. Appreciate your knowledge. Hope all is well and thank you for clearing that up for us.

Now how about my question about v8 exhaust manifolds in right hand drive A-body cars?
Syleng1

YEA! Slantsixdan. Glad to see your still here Dan. Appreciate your knowledge. Hope all is well and thank you for clearing that up for us.

Y'welcome. We're cloppin' along, waitin' for our shots; hope you and yours are all well, too.

Now how about my question about v8 exhaust manifolds in right hand drive A-body cars?

Here's a '66 Canadian FPC. Looks like with the steering box out of the way, they used the B-body left exhaust manifold on the RHD A-bodies. Also looks like just one kind of RH exhaust manifold for 273s in '66, for LHD and RHD cars alike.

66_exhaust_manifolds.jpg

I'd love to see what the transverse linkage for an opposite-side mounted master cylinder looks like. However, check these out...

Here's a blown slant with the MC clearly in front of the brake pedal (from Aussie Speedshop):
View attachment 1715717154

And here's the "Hemi 245," a different kind of slant used in the Aussie cars. According to Wikipedia, it was introduced in 1970. You can see it is much more upright, like the Ford and GM 6, among other differences.
View attachment 1715717155

By the way, since starting this thread this morning, I happened to talk to an older Australian neighbor and he clearly remembers when the slant hit the Aussie market in the 1960s - he says all the gearheads loved them because (unless you were rich and could afford a V8) they were an affordable powerplant that absolutely smoked the other straight sixes on the market: Holden (GM in Australia) and Ford. Unfortunately he didn't have any other information about the particulars of the slant in the righthand drive cars!

Well hell, maybe my stupid *** was imagining things then. lol

Slant-6s were used in Australian-market valiants from the R-model ('61 sold as a '62 model down there) up through the VF model ('69). A different oil pump was used, with female pipe threads for inlet and output. The oil filter was remote-mounted on the RH inner fender in the R-model, above the water pump on the '62 S-model, and on the LH side of the block near the oil pan rail on subsequent models. The steering box mounted to the frame rail, not the K-frame. The brake master cylinder was straight ahead of the brake pedal, on the RH side of the firewall. In the case of power brakes, a remote booster was generally used: hydraulic line from the master cylinder over to a booster mounted on the RH inner fender or the RH side of the firewall, which operated on a "sub master" cylinder, which sent fluid to the brakes. This also allowed for interesting setups like boosted front brakes and unboosted rear brakes, which was done on some of the South African Valiants and might also have been on some Australian models.

Starting on the '70 VG model, the Hemi-6 (a non-slanted, upright six which was not actually a hemi) supplanted the Slant-6 in Australian-market Valiants, but those same VG (…VH, VJ, VK, CL, CM…) Valiants were exported with 225 Slant-6s to South Africa and some other countries.

Do some Google image searching. AP5 Valiant engine bay. VF Valiant engine bay. RV1 Valiant engine bay. SV1 Valiant engine bay. AP6 Valiant engine bay.

Cool. Thanks Dan! Now I gotta figure out WHERE I saw the opposite side mounted master cylinder. I know I've seen it somewhere.

I made a offset brake pedal for a 56 ford put. Moved the master to the driver's side 6 to 8 inches (center on a firewall rib.) I had 2 steel support blocks made, used 2 brake pedals welded to a 1inch steel bar. Used a 3/8 plate of AL to back up the firewall and an aluminum plate nacho ed to straddle the rib and bolt the works together.

For a rh drive the same type of thing but a longer bar

Yes slant six Dan is mostly correct! We use a steering box on the right hand chassis rail with the pitman arm and idler arm pointing forward not backwards. As the chassis rail was never designed to take that loading CAL put braces inside the chassis rail but they collected dirt and caused rust issues that caused very erratic steering later in life. After the Hemi six came out in the VG model (1970) the booster was an inline on the Hemi six and a offset and raised bracket for the V8 and I have seen a slant six car with the V8 offset booster fitted and clears the slant six rocker cover. Our V8s all used center outlet ex manifolds as the US ones will not fit in our chassis. We have our own header makers that are all 4 into 2 into one headers but a guy here sent a front cut valiant to TTI in the US and they made a 4 into one set for us but by the time they were sold in Australia they were over $1600 Au dollars.

Here’s an engine shot of our 62 S Series RHD assembled at the Australian Chrysler plant in Keswick, South Australia
upload_2021-4-4_8-30-34.png

we also have offset booster brackets in some cars that pushes the booster closer to the inner guard

valiant offset booster.jpg

-
Back