How Do You Define Your Privacy?

-
I know exactly how you feel . soon I will be putting a sign up. "Keep your phone in your pocket or get out". Privately owned property should be private. No exceptions.

Where I live there is about a 30% chance that if you look in your rear view mirror at a stop light the person behind you is looking down at their phone.

I hear lots of people on their bluetooth narrating every mundane thought or action to someone and it makes me wonder where that need for connection comes from.

Yeahhhhhh ... kinda like this??? What is so damn intriguing about me that my comments (routinely taken totally out of context) are now a regular part of your signature line Ray?

"Quote:
Originally Posted by CudaChick1968

I see the thread has a 1-star rating. Gotta love that.
Quote"

Privacy ... a lost art, or something people are no longer entitled to?

Seems like the standard question of "How are you doing?" has been replaced with "What/where/when are you doing?". I find it rude when someone calls during a meal and when told so they ask "What are you eating?" instead of apologizing and cutting the call short.

I had to have a talk with my neighbor about calling so much, especially letting it ring until voicemail, hanging up, then redialing several times in a row. Most of the times just to say "What's up?" or ask me what the UPS guy delivered (which I find a bit creepy and nosy).

Over the Summer I had a couple of my friends visit and everywhere we went they were posting it to Facebook and "tagging" me in their pictures and posts. Everything we did, drank, or ate was taken a picture of and posted directly online and then every few seconds they were checking to see what others said about it making any engaging conversation impossible. When I asked them to quit tagging me or to put away the phones they thought it was strange or that I was hiding something.

Truth is I just value what little privacy I have left in this world.

Anyone here notice how the social media culture of today is overriding what people considered being nosy, rude,or intrusive? I know FABO has a wide demographic of subscribers so would like to know what your thoughts are on your Privacy and what you expect from others regarding it..

Honestly, i don't consider it a privacy issue if it pertains to social actions. We're social animals with the technology to share/discuss our activities with everyone.

As for the neighbor calling/redialing...thats weird for other reasons. And i just don't let the meal thing get that far. If a friend calls during a meal, its "call you back, i'm eating, good bye. *click*"

100 years from now, historians will point to Myspace, Facebook & Twitter as the death knell of privacy. Once everyone is onboard with social media & all phases of one's life are exposed for all to see, then & only then will the true purpose be revealed. No one will mind or care that their every move & thought is monitored by the authorities.

George Orwell's “1984” will have come true.
“Big Brother is Watching”

im somewhat guilty of the facebook and twitter updating.. but only to a point.. I will occasionally do a check in on facebook if its something big (like the Van Halen concert I went to last year, or the mopar nationals) .. but for the most part, my updates on facebook usually involve my grandson.. pics of him playing or us being together.. its an easy way to show off how proud I am of him, and also for the rest of the family (spread out all over the place, including my brother who lives in Japan) to see him, and to see how things are going.. All that being said,(and despite the fact that I really lean on technology) I never give out my day to day itinorary.. thats just dumb.. I dont constantly post useless information that most people wouldnt care about.. i can sit in a room, carry on coversations all without having to drag the phone out of my pocket.. I still believe its rude if someones talking to me, to multi-task by texting someone else.. I can watch a whole movie without having to get on the computer, or text... i will text after the movie.. I can still actually pick up a phone, dial it, and talk to the person on the other end.. Something that is becoming a lost art... Truth of it is, my life is not all that fascinating, so i feel no need to post every minute of it.. as for personal privacy at home.. I may ask 'whats up' or 'whats new'.. but my theory is, if theres something you want me to know.. you'll tell me... and thats how I treat people.. if you want to see me, have me visit, or need help, i'll be there in a heartbeat.. otherwise, i wont bother you.. and I expect the same.. while im on that rant, can someone explain to me why todays kids all believe that your yard is their yard too??? When I was kid we stayed out of other peoples yards.. and we sure as hell didnt touch stuff in other peoples yards... these days, whats mine is apparently everyone elses... it pisses me off (sorry, i know that last bit was a bit off topic.... )

Have a facebook and am fairly active on it. (Tech Savvy young gun here) However, I don't post every random thing that comes into my head. Hell, my last post that I genuinely thought up was back on V day. However I usually post once every couple days if something interesting happens. Which usually isn't very interesting, but I feel like saying it. When I went over to my ex's house, her parents, sister, and older brother's gf were all on their phones all the time while watching TV. And all they were doing 90% was just browsing. I only have an iPod touch so without WiFi I really can't do anything except listen to music. And really, when people are on their phones all the time, half the time they are just going through their wall seeing what other people are saying or sharing pictures. I very rarely see my friends post many many times a day unless it's to share things. And I do not have any personal information on there other than my name and birthdate, and basic city area I'm in. On the fabo member map, I put my pin somewhere I'm not but roughly in the same area.

100 years from now, historians will point to Myspace, Facebook & Twitter as the death knell of privacy. Once everyone is onboard with social media & all phases of one's life are exposed for all to see, then & only then will the true purpose be revealed. No one will mind or care that their every move & thought is monitored by the authorities.

I was afraid the thread would turn this way. Irrational paranoia.

exactly, just because people are on all the time does not mean that they have everything out there. The ones you hear about are the ones that do. Most of my friends are not that dumb.

People can share as much/little as they want it's the expectations and behavioral changes they use towards others that concerns me.

Another concern is the profiling and data collection being created by the social media and marketing companies. If you want to know what Google and FB know about your personal identity just read the ads they are throwing at you. Some of my ads are things I have never mentioned on Social Media sites but only in personal emails.

Do I think I'm being spied on by the Government? No. I realize it's only currently for marketing profiting purposes. But the more you waiver your personal privacy for the sake of convenience the more, imo, you lose of your self identity.

"I myself a big fan of any social networking site, it allows me to interact with my fans with having to see, hear or smell them." I pissed myself laughing over that one :D

But seriously, facebook is kinda creepy, it tracks me through my phone and I don't like that. But I like it for the fact that I can on occasion share stuff with friends and family I don't get to see much.

Truth is I use FABO more than I do facebook.

I gotta admit, when I read that book my sophomore year in high school, I was the only one in class that finished super early and LOVED the book. When questioned why by my teacher, I told him that's the way America would end up. He called me crazy.

I called him an idiot. :D

He was one of the coolest teacher's I ever had and I realized that when I called him an idiot he told me I was entitled to my opinion (of him being an idiot).

Point of that story is, I agree that 1984 is coming true. I'm not paranoid because frankly there's no way to stop it. So I don't care.

The days of deregulation are dead, look around you.

I would only say that you define your own privacy. By that I mean if you share it, expect it to be shared.
I don't do the facebook thing or any of the other ones and I damn sure don't want my info on any of it. Unfortunately you can't stop somebody else from showing pictures that include you or talking about you. As for the nosey neighbors, we all have those and can't do much about it.

Yeahhhhhh ... kinda like this??? What is so damn intriguing about me that my comments (routinely taken totally out of context) are now a regular part of your signature line Ray?

"Quote:
Originally Posted by CudaChick1968

I see the thread has a 1-star rating. Gotta love that.
Quote"

Privacy ... a lost art, or something people are no longer entitled to?
never mind i got

-
Back