How do you guys do it?

-

skybolt

Reaction score
I have never installed an auxiliary trans cooler as most of my hot rods have been manual. Radiator 1st then through the auxiliary cooler or vise versa or straight radiator and a larger independent cooler?

I have an independent cooler mounted in front of the radiator

I ran mine thru the radiator first and then the cooler. My logic was that the radiator would be hot. Cool down from there. Seems like once apon a time I read the the transmission fluid has to have some heat in it to work right. But don't quote me on that.
Junk yard 1988 Chrysler min-vans are a good place to get coolers. Don't want to put any non Mopar parts on my car.:nike:

make sure you don't mount it on the rad. make sure there is atleast an inch of space between the two. then it goes through the rad first then through the aux cooler.

In the past I mounted mine in front of the radiator and hooked the output from the radiator cooler to the input of the auxilary cooler. Cool the fluid in the radiator first then finish off the cooling process with the auxilary cooler. toolman

the cooler in the radiator should be used also as is stated by most,the auxillary cooler by itself is not going to be able to do the job

the cooler in the radiator should be used also as is stated by most,the auxillary cooler by itself is not going to be able to do the job

That is the exact opposite of what Mark Bowler (Bowler transmission) told me.......he said to use the biggest cooler you can and DO NOT run it through the radiator.

Not saying which is right as I dont have enough trans experience, :read2:

how much air can you move across that lil' auxillary cooler?it's called an auxillary cooler because it helps the main cooler.the fluid moves thru quickly and has little time for air alone to do the job of cooling...jmo

This is right from the TCI website:

"Should I use an external transmission cooler in conjunction with the oil cooler supplied in the radiator?

Answer: Unless operating in an environment where the outside temperature is below 0°F, you should cap off the radiator cooler line openings and run your cooler lines directly to a new cooler mounted in front of the radiator. This allows the transmission to have its own cooling system and doesn't allow the engine water temperature to heat the fluid."

That is the exact opposite of what Mark Bowler (Bowler transmission) told me.......he said to use the biggest cooler you can and DO NOT run it through the radiator.

Not saying which is right as I dont have enough trans experience, :read2:

can be used either way. personal preference i guess. i don't have a cooler in my rad so all i use is a large aux one mounted behind my grille. the 904 has been in my car for quite a few year and many miles and many runs at the track and its still shifts as good as day one. if i had a cooler in the rad i would run it through there first. i figure that cools it kinda like putting hot metal into a bucket of water. then the aux cooler cools it just that much more.

I am no expert....although a family member of mine is and alot of my other family has been doing it this way for years.....I do not use the cooling system in the radiator for cooling my tranny fluid...I always bypass it and go directly through an auxilery cooler, HOWEVER...not just any cooler would I do this with,no stock tiny little cooler will be able to keep your tranny cool on its own. But you can go down to your local parts store and pick and aftermarket tranny cooler up for fairly cheap I believe the last one I got was for a v8 jeep with a 46re tranny and I spent around $30.00 on a cooler and a cooler hose kit total. The cooler was about 10x12 if I remember correctly. and it worked like a charm (as always)....I currently have the same set up on my daily driver dodge 4x4 360v8 truck....and it shifts great and no over heating or anything either. As mentioned above,there has to be some heat for your tranny to perform properly....too cold mean the viscosity of the fluid will be much more dense and harder to pass through all the holes and valleys in your tranny and what not....same goes for if it is too hot,it will thing your tranny fluid out and then it wont stick to the internals and wont coat the gears and what not. everyone has there own opinion and I am not saying they are wrong. You can run them both...I am just saying that it works fine to run just a tranny cooler without going through the radiator. Also,as mentioned above.....mount it in front of your radiator and a good inch of space in between the too would work just fine. Good luck

thats cool but what do you do if your rad dosen't have the set up for the trans cool im building a mopar streetrod and want to use the stock Rad its cool and all cooper

-
Back