How do you remove a slip in shifter handle.

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
How do you remove a slip in shifter handle. I tried using 2 butter knives at the same time and slip between the clip and handle with no luck.

You might need something thinner than a butter knife. Maybe a piece of those metal banding strips you get at the lumber yard.

Some WD40 and 2 feeler gauges.

The “butter knives” are likely too thick and are jamming the handle in the receiver.

30 thou feeler gauge or a piece of metal pallet strapping shoved down the drivers side of the socket and pull the stick out.

Dadsbee is on the right track. Butter knives are way too thick. I use a couple pieces of shim stock around .040". Metal pallet strapping should be a good thickness and it should be hard enough. Piss poor design, the bolt in handles are much better.

Dadsbee is on the right track. Butter knives are way too thick. I use a couple pieces of shim stock around .040". Metal pallet strapping should be a good thickness and it should be hard enough. Piss poor design, the bolt in handles are much better.

press in removal.jpg

How do you remove a slip in shifter handle. I tried using 2 butter knives at the same time and slip between the clip and handle with no luck.
I took my .011 feeler gage and clamped vise grips to the end and was able to wiggle and tap it in. Used a lot of wd40 also. It wasn't easy. Good luck.

-
Back