How does one soften up aged seat belts?

-

67CudaBob

Reaction score
My 67 Dart convertible has stiff front seat belts (from either age or UV?), and I am wondering what I can put on them that will soften them up but will not transfer onto our clothing when we use the belts.

Thank you-

My attitude on this is that if they are "that bad" they are probably WEAKENED. Ask yourself "Do I really" want to trust my life to that?

Plus any chemicals/ treatments/ whatever you use to "soften them up" may just damage them further

N' yeh. I DO have sympathy for your plight!!

Have heard some people say rub fabric softener drier sheets on them, also maybe try liquid fabric softener, just don't rinse. I've never done that, so don't know. Might be better to send yours off to get new belt material but keep your original hardware. Good luck.

A long shot but try taking them off and washing/soaking/scrubbing them in bucket with hot water and laundry soap. Rinse, and work the material every so often while there drying. You'll be amazed how much dirt comes off them. Stiff belts were not my problem, but mine got a bit softer after this. Best of luck to you.

Soak them in a bucket of Murphy's oil soap and warm water solution over night, scrub and rinse and they will look like new.

I agree with 67Dart273, you should just go ahead and get new seatbelts. I need to do the same, because yes they do get stiff and gross. Safety first!

The easiest way to soften them is to replace them.

You might look into Snake Oyl seatbelt restoration. They are in Tyler, TX.

Soak them in a bucket of Murphy's oil soap and warm water solution over night, scrub and rinse and they will look like new.

Do this, they will actually stiffen up from 50 years of dirt.

I just washed my crusty belts in the washtub with dawn soap and a scrub brush. They came out great and the was turned black.

Now there like new.

Riddler

Simple Green diluted with water will do wonders to soften & clean grungy seat belts. You can scrub them with a soft bristle brush, rinse them well & hang them to air dry....

Don't use the brush around the part tags though. They will disintegrate :)

-
Back