How easy to shift with engine off

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
70 Dart 340 4 speed.

This is an auto to 4 speed conversion. The trans was rebuilt by myself and a friend. The shifter and rods are new from Brewers. I have adjusted the rods per the specs of neutral with the pin in the shifter and adjusting rods.

I got the trans and engine installed last weekend and installed the shifter this weekend, but to me it doesn't shift without effort with the engine off. The engine isn't quite ready to fire yet, so not sure how it will feel when it's spinning.

Now, I don't really know how it's supposed to feel, because I've never had a 4 speed car.

The video I watched on how to adjust the rods showed his 4 speed in the bench shift with very little effort and thats what had me concerned.

I am going to double check rod adjustment. The method I'm using is:
Disconnect rods from trans.
Move shift levers to neutral so yoke turns freely
Pin in shifter to lock rods
Adjust linkage and reattach levers to trans.

A cold A833 can take a surprising amount of effort to shift until the gear lube warms up. Keep in mind that with everything turned off, the teeth may butt and it won't go into some gears at all. Especially with the clutch engaged.

A cold A833 can take a surprising amount of effort to shift until the gear lube warms up. Keep in mind that with everything turned off, the teeth may butt and it won't go into some gears at all. Especially with the clutch engaged.

Thank you for the response. Makes me feel better.

They normally take a little more effort without the engine running and the car moving. I wouldn't start losin sleep just yet. lol

-
Back