How far over on a 440?

-

frederick_76

Reaction score
Merry Christmas everyone!
I have a 67 cast date / 68 assembly date 440, Non HP. its currently .030 over. I've never ran this motor nor do I know who did the rebuild, when, and what components were used. I'm going to start tearing it down this week to see how In depth of a rebuild it needs. If it comes down to it is it safe to go .060 on the cylinders? Thanks, Dennis.

when i doubt....I believe the block can be sonic tested to determine if the cylinder bores possibly shifted during casting causing thin spots and can help determine the thickness of the cylinder walls

Last edited:
I would look for .040" over pistons. Even if you can safely go .060", the thicker the wall, the stiffer it will be. That's figuring it will clean up at .040". Or leave it .030 if you can.

I would look for .040" over pistons. Even if you can safely go .060", the thicker the wall, the stiffer it will be. That's figuring it will clean up at .040". Or leave it .030 if you can.
I'm hoping I can leave it at .030 but won't know till I get into it....

You won't know anything until you take it apart. Once you have it apart then it can be measured for taper. If it has very few miles on the last rebuild then perhaps you can keep it at 0.030 but I wouldn't bet on that. The next logical overbore is actually 0.055 not 0.060. There are a lot more piston and ring choices at 4.375 than there are at 4.380.

I bought a 540 short block that was 4.375, cylinders were scuffed up. It cleaned up at 4.38 and bought a set of Icon pistons for it.

Last edited:
Well, a friend and I tore the 440 down yesterday. Looks really good! Ill get the block cleand up first of the year and taken to a shop to check the cylinders for taper. Head gaskets looked great, didn't find anything really wrong.

20181228_121455.jpg

20181228_145707.jpg

-
Back