How far should the yoke stick out?

-

ESP47

Reaction score
I removed the driveline and transmission a few months ago from my 71 Duster, 904, 7 1/4", slant six, and recently put the transmission back in. I installed new u joints over the weekend and threw the driveline in as well.

Everything went in just fine and nothing was altered in any way other than having the transmission rebuilt and the u joints changed.

When I look at the shaft or the "clean" part of the yoke, I can see about 2" of it coming out of the transmission. I don't remember being able to see that much of the yoke when I removed it but I also didn't really pay much attention to it. (tried to take a picture but my phone's camera isn't working). It just catches my eye because it's shiny as hell while everything else is dirty.

Now it has me second guessing myself because after removing, I didn't have to clean the yoke at all because it was in great shape but I figured the 2" protruding from the transmission would have gotten rusty if I had been driving it like that for the last 70k miles. Am I just overthinking things or is the yoke not supposed to stick out that far from the transmission?

Sometimes the new rear seal doesn't have the boot on it like the original and it looks like the yoke sticks out further, but with the boot on it it looks normal.

:rofl:She probably told you this is 9"
0"l________________________________________________l 9"

Is the rear end hanging or supported, because two inches with the rear end hanging could be about right.
Brian6pk is correct about the boot/non boot seals.

Thanks guys, I bet it's the boot since it got rebuilt and was changed out. It could be a little less than 2" but I'm just going off of memory. I have a spare yoke here and the rusty part is much shorter so I wasn't sure if it was right or not.

If it's not the boot thing, then it must have something to do with Treblig's tallywhacker.

-
Back