How Hard Is It To Do?

-

olddman

Reaction score
Took my Dart out for a ride today and when I got out I noticed a tear (cut) in the front of the back seat cover of the bucket seat. Had new seat covers from Legendary installed on the bucket seats in my 1965 Dart GT about 15 years ago. Now will have to either have new set installed or do it myself. Can anyone tell me how hard it would be for me to replace them?

I did the seat covers in my 383-s and it was not difficult and the results were great. My Legendary covers were very nice. Go for it!

There are some really good videos on youtube from some of the leading vendors. You might try looking there and see if it's something you think you can do. Personally, I know if I ever tried it, I'd totally wreck it. lol

Legendary has self help video's

True about the wait. I have some back seat upholstery on order for my latest 71 Barracuda project. Legendary gave me a 252 day wait guess.

The biggest thing that I've seen in ALL the videos is to set the covers out in the sun so they get hot, soft and pliable. That seems to be the biggest trick. Most say you CAN use a heat gun, but I would not. Too big a risk melting it, IMO.

cover with thin plastic and they'll slip on and adjust easier...pull the plastic out after the covers are on.
I added new foam and it was very...very difficult ,but i got it done. Nice and tight when finished but quite hard...perfect after a year of use

cover with thin plastic and they'll slip on and adjust easier...pull the plastic out after the covers are on.
I added new foam and it was very...very difficult ,but i got it done. Nice and tight when finished but quite hard...perfect after a year of use
That sounds like it could be a pretty slick trick.

Took my Dart out for a ride today and when I got out I noticed a tear (cut) in the front of the back seat cover of the bucket seat. Had new seat covers from Legendary installed on the bucket seats in my 1965 Dart GT about 15 years ago. Now will have to either have new set installed or do it myself. Can anyone tell me how hard it would be for me to replace them?

Depending on how the tear happened, Legendary has a lifetime warranty on them and will replace the cover.

From their website.

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

Other manufacturers claim to have quality products, but only Legendary Auto Interiors, Ltd. backs it up with a LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY on the products it manufactures. Our loyal customers know that warranty concerns are always handled quickly and courteously. Buy with confidence and know you will be getting the best products available for your car. We guarantee it!!

You could work on getting them warrantied or visit a local upholstery shop to see if they could replace a single panel.

You could work on getting them warrantied or visit a local upholstery shop to see if they could replace a single panel.
Exactly, is it a year out for a replacement? With suppliers changing all the time, will it be a dead match? I wouldn't mind much, I guess, I'm not super anal picky (well, after spending that kinda cash, waiting a year, then fighting em on)
Maybe I would ***** some...

I have had seat repairs done by a local auto upholsterers, they can replace a section of seat material.
Matched mine really well, sewing the seams etc to match .

I've never found it to be a very difficult job and I'm not very good at most of this stuff. Just leave the cover in the heat for a a while to keep the material pliable. Turn it inside out, place it on top of the seat, fold it over and start hog ringing from the centers out to the edges. A second set of hands help so you can really lean on the seat and compress the springs to get the cover on tighter.

You can use a thin plastic bag. Place it completely over the foam of the bucket seat top. the 'softened by the sun cover will slide on easily. You need not remove the bag. Once you get the covers on tightly with hog rings, you will never know the plastic is still there.

I have applied seat covers on bucket seats several times. As mentioned above, lay them out in the sun. Also, do not be in a big hurry. Clean up and paint the frames while you are at it. Buy a GOOD pair of hog ring pliers. You can do it.

-
Back