How Hard Is It...........

-

67valiant 100

go fast or go home
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to swap a 10 1/2 inch clutch setup in place of a stock 9 1/2 inch set in a '65 Barracuda? We have a lakewood small block scatter shield that we plan on using. How hard will it be to use that? Also we have the 130 tooth 10 1/2 inch flywheel. Would all that I need is to shorten the Z-bar to make it fit?

The reason I want to do this is cause the car needs a complete new clutch kit so the trans is going to be dropped and I already have these parts so why not?

Thanks

What's your mechanical ability? Sorta hard to answer how hard it is if we don't know that. On a lift, it would take me about 25 minutes to swap out a clutch. That Lakewood deal will probably require centering up with the crank centerline. That requires some specialty tools, offset dowels and some patience.

The Lakewood scattersheild is heavy and big. This makes it harder to do. On your back doing this? Add some cuss words.
Do you have a torque wrench? If not, get one to torque down the attaching bolts. The hard ones are to the crank. The easier ones, but hard to get to are the pressure plate.

IDK if you'll need to shorten the "Z" bar, I didn't on my 73 Cuda.

Were good with the mechanical abilities. Just last week I had the car on all 4 jack stands so that's no problem. The original bell housing is cast iron/ steel so I don't think there's that much weight deference. We can get a torque wrench but the thing with the crank alinement has me worried. How hard is that to do. What kind of tools are required for that? I know you need a ring spacer around the front bearing retainer to make it fit the hole in the bell housing. If I get that spacer do I need to do that alinement thing?

Maybe so. The ring spacer, for starters is to take up space in the difference between bearing retainer sizes.

The checking of alignmnet is out lined in the instructions when you get the Lakewood bell.

A dial indicator and magnetic stand will be used. It's placed on the flywheel and turned to check the alingment of the circle it makes vs. the one on the bell's retainer opening.

This step, takes a bit of time.

I did this a looooooooong time ago (over 30 years). I remember we had to rework the Z bar pivot bracket that mounts to the bell housing. I also bought a new Z bar, cut it in the middle & either made it wider or narrower. At the time we just went to the Mopar parts department & had the guy bring out what he had & then I bought the one that looked like it would work best. I think I also changed the fork & fork pivot. I used a factory aluminum bell housing & think I used the fork & pivot that came with it.

You might want to call Brewer's Performance. They're very helpful on the phone & would probably be happy to tell you exactly what you'll need to make it work.

Check to see if the Lakewood will even fit in a "65". Brewers has the parts to swap. I've only done this with a factory Aluminum bellhousing myself. Seems this has come up here before and there were problems with the lakewood in an early A body.

-
Back