How important is numbers matching?

-

daddio4048

Daddios72
Reaction score
Bought a 1972 340 H code from a restoration shop where the owner said the spare motor & trans was numbers matching in the AD. After purchasing car & getting it home;I find out nothing matches by the numbers! To me it doesn't matter since I'm going Viper red on the car & changing the interior color to black.I guess if I was going concourse restoration I would be screwed . Still sucks that I overlooked that important part of it & trusted what was said.:banghead:

Depends on whether you paid "extra money" for the "numbers matching."

Paid 7k. Got complete rebuilt 340 & spare 340 block.A833 trans,sharks tooth grill,body with not much bodywork needed. Seemed like a good deal either way.

If I looked at a car advertised as numbers matching and they wanted 7 grand for it they would get offered 4 if it ended up not being.

Sounds like you feel pretty good about it, so that's what matters if you are not in it for the money.

Just the fact that they described it as such would piss a lot of numbers people off to no end though.

Where all did you look & what were all the numbers you found?

Or to expand on what TB was suggesting, if a car was advertised "matching" I would damn sure make certain it seemed to be so, before paying much money for it.

I might be "not that hard" to fake a matching car. "Rebodies" are another sore spot

How important is numbers matching?

In my mind very important if it's a rare care.

What numbers did you check?

Check the other block Vin against the car Vin

Numbers matching would be VERY important to me, if I bought the car on that premise and it turned out to be false. End of story.

And it "might" be, on the spare engine. Sounds like a different engine went in and the spare is the numbers match engine.

As far as #'s matching in general for instance slant 6, 4 door, 1975 who cares!
On the other hand 4 speed, 340, mod top bla bla bla
but really what triple-R said x2

to sell it. YES. to drive it, who care.
Number matching only worth if someone willing to paid for it "That's how much the car worth"

Very loaded question. Myself, couldn't care less. One of the things that really makes me chuckle is when somebody is selling a rolling pile of rust, no motor-trans and tries to get premium bucks because it "was a 340-stick car"....

Depends on if you paid extra for it!

Otherwise, if you don't plan to have strangers or show judges crawling under your car, who cares!

I wouldn't care if I "paid extra" or not. If it was misrepresented, that sucks rotten camel ballsacks.

Very loaded question. Myself, couldn't care less. One of the things that really makes me chuckle is when somebody is selling a rolling pile of rust, no motor-trans and tries to get premium bucks because it "was a 340-stick car"....

Agreed with Doug,here. I would modify it anyway, myself. To my perception, a loaded question...

If it was advertised as numbers matching, and that's the reason you bought it at that price, I would be pissed if it wasnt!! But, I would be more pissed at myself for not giving it due diligence and actually checking right in front of the seller and verifying the claim before I bought it!! That is major leverage on the price if it's not as advertised and turns out not to match!! Yea, it makes a difference, like $3k up fromt on this deal, and at least that if you go to sell!!!

I let the guy know later I didn't appreciate him giving out misleading info even though I should have checked it out to be sure.Just totally overlooked it!Sometimes I find myself a little to trustworthy of people.I think overall the car was a decent deal even with no matching numbers. Car is going to be totally different than when it came from the factory so the the numbers matching thing doesn't matter. Time to move on past it & get dirty building the car.

Have you checked the numbers on the extra engine?

You do realize that if said party offered that vehicle as numbers matching and it is not then it is false advertisement. You can sue and usually win not only your money back but also keep the vehicle.

Sounds tempting.Only thing is that it was a Craigslist Ad & now the ad is gone & I didnt print it out.

I figure the more rare and desirable a car is, the more "numbers matching" bs can ad to its value. when you deal with a pro resto shop, you figure they know their stuff and are honest. so much for figuring. they might be chebby guys that think it vin saying it came with a 340 from the factory makes it "number matching" ??? ha
to me the hole numbers thing has long ago run it course except with the big $$$ guys.
I would certainly check the engine to see if it really has been rebuilt. if not, I would call them on the hole deal. just me.

-
Back