How important is the oil slinger??..

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
We put the timing cover on, water pump, oil pan and find the oil slinger on the work bench...:BangHead:... CRAP!!!...
We are planning to do a break in and run the car for the summer and dig back in this winter and do a cam change ECT...
Big trouble-- no big deal in the short run..
??? Thoughts...

I've pulled apart virgin small blocks (mostly later models and magnums) that didn't have oil slingers in them at all.
I like to use them, but my guess is that even the factory didn't deem them necessary in the later years. You can rest easy.

I like them because under stopping force the oil gets slung up to the timing chain

Better to leave it out than install it backwards!

I’d run it as it is. Many folks omit them.

How long do you want your timing chain to last? If it's a little used or drag car, no problem for awhile, but I wouldn't put 10,000 miles on it that way...

How long do you want your timing chain to last? If it's a little used or drag car, no problem for awhile, but I wouldn't put 10,000 miles on it that way...

All that needs to be done is let pressurized oil from either lifter gallery blow onto the timing set. The timing gear will last much longer and the slinger doesn’t do much anyway.

slinger keeps oil away from the seal too, all that oil down there just gets flung away from the seal that is past that slinger. Doesn't hurt anything being in there.

pretty much both it's going to be used probably very little and mostly drag car. And again I don't see it getting 500 Miles this winter before we get back in there and put a much hotter cam in and roller rockers and all that stuff. he had the rings gap for nitrous and has big plans for all that as well..all the stuff has been sitting in his garage for over 4 years so just getting it on the road is the main plan right now.. getting the enthusiasm built back up and then going for the gusto this next winter..

Many other brands of engines didn't use oil slingers & seemed to last just fine...& not leak.

Not overly important. Could do without it. But better to use if available. I guess you can put back in when the time comes for some repair.

Not overly important. Could do without it. But better to use if available. I guess you can put back in when the time comes for some repair.
I totally agree with you.
It's intended purpose is to keep oil away from the front seal and is not a big deal if omitted.
The seal technology probably got better in the later years, that's why the factory omitted them.
They probably saved a buck an engine by deleting them, and that adds up!

-
Back