How is this cam for 470

-

askgene

Reaction score
Hi guys,what do you guys think of this cam in a 470 stroker with fully ported and polished 906's milled 040. with either 9.8 compression or 10.7 compression depending on witch Pistons I go with.And is the 10.7 too much for a 93 octane pump gas,if I run 32-34 degrees instead of 35-38 CAM IS XE294 comp. like 251/256 duration @050 525/525 lift? would 285HL or 295HL be much better? plus looking for 575-625 HP No Higher... although might run a solid but am sure what solid I would use. Do you guys think an aluminum set of ProMaxx as cast would be better?Or even as cast Performer RPM found them for 740 each... I would love to get the TWISTED FLOW heads but can't go for 2k now. The 9.9 is with 440 source and the 10.7 is with Ross pistons only 50 bucks more and 35grms less.What you engine guys think?

I think, you have a lot of questions in that one post. I have a few now:
What is the total budget for this engine?
What parts do you already own?
Why the horsepower figures you are targeting?

Are the 906's currently stock?
I think 10.7 is a lot for the cams considered and a iron head. I myself would build it with a little less compression in mind.

Insider your piston choice for a future head. Porting stock iron heads can end up costing you a lot. You very well may want to save the money for the Trick Flows instead of porting the iron.

Who is doing your work?

Oh, also, you will loose a good bit of power when you start retarding the timing in order to accept the fuel available. Much more so than being a tad light on compression.

OR, build a lot of ratio into the engine and get E-85. There's a few stations on Middle Country Road that have E-85.
(Holbrook Rd. & 25)

Moper ,listen the only thing waiting to get done is my Guys ACE Crankshaft,DeerparkNY he want my piston,rings he has rods and crank,he going to balance cut the mains down to 400 size,check piston height with fods on crank so he will know how much to take off the weights rods already BBC he gave me 800 dollar manley rods for 400 cut and balance 400.00 have bolock ready deburred have intake carb distrib wires break in oil plugs wires,heads fuel pump rockers pushrods,jest need camDone whole thing for4200$ 400/470 stroker ross pistons after all,manley rods ,lite weight t chain,just need cam and lifters,and selling my intke for a street dominator should make 575-600

RUMBLE, FISH heads done and done well flow about 285 @ 550 lift new best of everything what a port job....

Rumble, I'm going to go from a .022 shim to 051 or even 056. MULTI-SHIM cometic gaskets so maybe 8.5 cc more that will lower the Ross piston compression to about 10.4 with octane boost or E-85 no problema, or get a barrel AVGASS 104 by me and add lead do that anyway 2 caps per 15 gal no sweat

HEY Rumble where u live? I'm on rego ave off rustic rd U know rustic across from CVS By johnnys hambergers(never went there)

Thanks Gene. I'm not trying to be critical but if you could lose the BOLD font and try and use some punctuation it would be much easier to tell where you are. If you only have 285 @ .550 you're going to need a LOT of camshaft to make the power you are talking about. The hydraulics IMO won't do it. In fact a flat tappet of any kind would not be my first choice. Maybe if the heads were better but you got what you got. I would be looking at a solid roller with 250-260* @ .050 and lift around .600, or a solid flat tappet with another 10-15* @ .050 and .020-.040 more lift. I don't feel a street hydraulic cam is gonna go high 500s with heads flowing 285 at .550. A custom solid flat tappet might be a good choice given the package you already have. Cam choice should really happen way earlier in the build process but you're using what's available so...
Just my opinion of course.

Porting stock iron heads can end up costing you a lot.

Unless you are racing in a class that requires stock heads they aren't work messing with. There is no logical reason to put money into porting a stock iron head.

In regards to cam choice I'm going to recommend you go solid lifter. I see you planned on a comp cam. Here is a comp cam in a solid very similar to what you were looking at.

Comp Cams 21-229-4
251/257@.050, .565 lift, 110LSA

No more heavy font,Mope. Anyway Rumblefish I bought the heads bare done, for the price of a solid roller camshaft,and the ferrea valves, springs,machine work, rest didn't kill me, but if I had as cast 906's it would have cost at least 1,500 or more. I did good,real good.So believe me, I'm a shoppin fool and I don't want to go 10.50s only 10.90s So I think in a A body I can do it with an hyd. and a bunch of torque. highest gears I have ever ran is 4.10s and my last 10 sec car had 3.55's I am a torque buildin fool! I like the idea of 550 hp 650 ft pounds if it can be done...Mope, anyone can go fast with a 270 dur@050 solid roller, duh. The object is to go fast and NOT spend a lot of cash!!! Am I right or wrong? But 285@550 isn't that small its not 220,my 406 chevy made 611hp with 285@600 lift AFR heads 2.05in. 1.60ex valves.......but double the 285 and u got 570 might be right might be,so now do I get rid of the heads or keep them?The guy I bought them from said at least 285@550 maybe I should get them flowed and know for sure. They could be 305 some guys have a cnc program for the 906 that gets 305+ think it was Hughes ?maybe I will let my wife proof read my writing as shes a proof writer,and knows where to start a new paragraph................I do build fast engines ask anyone with my stuff NO COMPLAINTS.........

Thanks for fixing the writing Gene (or Gene's wife).
Well, for me, the object is to spend what you have to in order to accomplish your goal. Preferably only spending once. Maybe you build a lot, maybe you don't. I know nothing about you. Based on the parts list and questions I can't tell where you're coming from. Not anybody can run fast. I know plenty that spend five times over buying and trying and even with the big rollers they can't run numbers. Regardless it comes down to simple physics. There are very few professionals that will get past 295 on factory heads and those that can flow that well usually crack fairly quickly. So I think the 285 is realistic at least.
Simply put, there's not enough duration at the lifts the hydraulics are made with to flow enough air to do what you want with those heads. At least not in my experience. Engines are air pumps. Torque or horsepower they have to have airflow. Make all the torque you want. It's horsepower that will win races at the track, at least in a properly executed effort.

no,I did it myself you made me feel dumb.But anyway the hads are what I got.Unless they sell do u think I should have stayed with the 400 instead the 470,not enough head flow? Any way I rechecked the clearance in the springs and I can get 565 lift and still have 055 thou left for clearance don't want to remove the 060 shims under the springs that will drom the installed pressure from 120 to 110 which is the least I want on my hyd cam but if I go with a solid I will have to get new springs so the lift can go up to 600 at least so let me see what this thing costs I will need about(hey thought I took the heavy font off twice) anyway I will need about 800 to finish the engine the way I want but a nice 580 lift solid with 253/258 seems what I would like for the engine and see or I'm going to call lunati for a custom cam like them best always made a little more HP than comp,and they are pushin for a Hyd roller,which is going to be 150-200 more than the solid and probably make less power and much less rpms..........

Gene, do what you can with what ya got. Like everyone else, the wallet is a limiting factor. I have time to wait out the expense. Parts are purchased and stored. No rush here though I would love to be up and running years ago. More important things go first. My (go fast/expensive) goals will have to wait.

(I could use some paragraphs from your posts.)

If I knew where and when to put them I would,My bosses used to hate my reports,for the same thing ,let my wife handle my responses for now on ...........G

Preferably only spending once.There are very few professionals that will get past 295 on factory heads and those that can flow that well usually crack fairly quickly. So I think the 285 is realistic at least.

Been there, done that. After investing more than the cost of a set of aluminum heads and filling 5 out of 8 cylinders with Dextron. I was fortunate enough to be able to donate the cracked heads to a DARE program and write them off on my taxes as well as my things I learned the hard way list.

Hey your no dummy that's smart stuff,I don't have many taxes as I'm on social security disability,and have a dis abil pension,not much taxes to pay there,I owed 100,000 to IRS and they felt sorry for me because wife is disabled NO benefits yet,and I got creamed by a truck in hosp 5 mths,while on duty, They let me slide,but take any refund I get but belive me they only take 100 a mth and at the end of the year I would get back 1-200 dollars,they can have that... Well that reminds me I have Lots and Lots of stuff to do today sold most of my stuff have to get boxes,go to fed-ex and get a money order from Post off. and oder my pistons and rings Busy,busy day oh and shovel the snow even though it will melt tues weds thurs going to be 50 degrees Yahoo...........

I don't really need it I'll try to sell it 4 you,if u want, I'm sellin a few things for my friend anyway so If I can help and make 20 bucks 4 the engine fund what the hey.....Since your so close We can save on the shippin or I can give u the info and u can do the deal,its not always about cash, U good guy from L.I. we will meet soon by springtime anyway,like talkin to ya...........G,hey we might already know each other,bad w names good with cars,used to havew a clean fast teal 66 nova runnin all over centereach and LI....

This thread gets really confusing. There is talk of 650 lb-ft of torque and 575 HP. Over on Road Runner forum you don't want to go with the RPM intake because it only makes 593 HP at 6,500 rpm. Well if the 470 makes 650 tq and 575 hp, it's doing all that before 6,000 rpm. What do you really want, eh? I think you need a 512 ci engine to cover all the bases.

-
Back