How long to machine engine?

-

72dustyer

All go, no show
Reaction score
I dropped my engine off a while ago at a local speed shop. How long is a reasonable time to wait before the work gets completed? I stopped by the other day and after quite a few months the block is line honed , rotating ***'y balanced, etc... but the heads haven't been machined nor has anything been assembled. Am I being unreasonable to be frustrated, or pissed? :violent2:

My machine work was going slow when I had my short block built. I really was not in a hurry for it (it's just sitting on an engine stand right now), but I felt the machine shop should process things in a first-in-first-out order. What was happening is they were working on their regular.. a.k.a. 'preferred' customers stuff first and then in their spare time working on the other stuff. Once I figured this out, I started calling the shop every 1-2 days asking how things were going. I made it a point to make small talk and take up some of the owners time. After that, things sped up considerably. Don't be a pest, but let them know you are getting a bit anxious. If they don't pick up the pace, tell them you need to come pick up your stuff and take it somewhere else.

You are definitely within your rights to be frustrated and pissed.

My motor took about 8 months. After 5 months I started calling at
least once a week. Didn't make much difference until I started stopping by
and after my 5 minute talk to the owner I would start talking to his main mechanic for about 1/2 an hour. Then we started to see some progress.
Again not much.

Yeah, it's been 8 months. I get the picture he has his faves (dirt track racing is big around here) and I just got put on the back burner. Had I known it would take this long I would have taken it up to Ray Barton. I'm just tired of the smoke being blown up my tailpipe.

My cousin owns a machine shop. So of course he does all of mine , and my brothers. So I know first hand that they have to look after their bread and butter guys first, which in his case is all of the car dealerships he does work for. Which of course makes sense. But he must also keep the rest of us happy too. It can be a bit of a juggling act, but 8 months ? That is insane. If I waited longer than a month or 2 , I would be picking up my stuff and going elsewhere. Your money is as good as the next guys. .Even with my cousin doing it ( and lots of times it is N/C ) I never have to wait that long. You are being taken advantage of, go elsewhere!

Just another thought or two... the machine shop I used was highly recommended. They build racing engines for several local teams. Needless to say, they were very busy. But the way I see it, the squeeky wheel gets the grease. If you drop your stuff off and dissappear, it gets shoved to the back of the line. If you get in their face occasionally, your stuff bubbles back up to the top. The good thing is that the shop you are using must be busy, which means they are probably good at what they do and are in high demand. You just need to show them you are getting impatient without being too pushy. You can't force them to do the work, but you can take the work away from them. Just drop a few hints like, 'my racing buddies said you get stuff done quick, why are you taking so long with my engine?'

It took about 2 months start to finish in the machine shop for my engine. Most of that time was delays on my part, ordering parts and finding time to get them to the shop.

Worest thing you can do is not put any kind of time goal on the shop. If you say take your time, then they will always (and rightfully so) move you to the back of the line for some one that wants it quicker because you have given them permission.

Yeah, I went down today and made sure that I was on the front burner. Luckily I have everything documented *(like the date I dropped the block off, the day we went over the head work)* and at first he thought I was overexaggerating...until he pulled my clipboard.
Then it was all apologies.

WOW!! 8 months is unbelievable. I've dealt with many shops and never had one take that long. The most I ever had to wait was about 2 months. I'm way to impatient to wait 8 months for a couple days work.

Generally, a time of 4-8 weeks I would consider "normal". Some shops send out things like align boring/honing, crank work, etc, and each "sub" there will always be some wait. Then the inevitable "need to check for pushrod length and order them, etc. If you were thinking dropping it off, and saying "I'm in no rush" was OK, think again. You should be going in, giving them 1/2 of the estimate up front, and getting a delivery date. Things happen, so that may not be the bible truth, but it's the best you can get. Dont call..Stop down..I like once a week..And be ready to pay in full when its done. If you dont have the $$ for the estimate, you wont have it for the "might as wells" that will come up. I've found it's a 2 way street. If they do get things done, you need to be ready to pay. I've seen at least 5-6 engines a year go thru the shop..I gottta have it ASAP..then it gets done, and the guy says.."I'll gave the rest in 2 weeks." The shop I use now will not begin any machine work beyond /disassembly inspection, until a 50% deposit is given. Not that money is an issue in your case, just pointing out that it sometimes can be. I would start dropping in, randomly, and often.

-
Back