How many grew up watching Popeye cartoons?

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, today is Popeye's 90th birthday. Ever seen a candle on a can of spinach?

And did you know that Popeye likes older women? Olive Oyl turns 100 this year.

I've been calling my grand daughter "My goil, Olive Oil" since she was born.
Today she learned who Olive Oil is. She was pretty upset, she's always thought that was her special name.
But we watched Popeye cartoons on Amazon for about an hour or so today. She really wasn't to impressed.

I always got a kick out of "Wimpy" , "For a hamburger today, I will gladly pay you Tuesday".:lol:

Which Popeye? 1930s or 1960s? They are quite different. I grew up watching both on reruns.

E47FCD24-E1C8-4665-AD81-4C0A397EAA3B.jpeg

3C7F2609-196C-4454-9EA6-3BB8A3574F8B.jpeg

Which Popeye? 1930s or 1960s? They are quite different. I grew up watching both on reruns.

I grew up enjoying the classics...especially enjoyed the ones done during the WWII era.
Tom Hatten was the host of the local TV show here in SoCal.
Tom Hatten - Wikipedia
According to Wikipedia, he's now 92 years old. I guess canned spinach is good for you!

I grew up in the 50's/60's, so I got to watch both. One easy way to tell the difference is in the early ones, Popeye's rival was Bluto and later series was Brutus.

"I'm strong to the finish, cause I eats me spinach, I'm Popeye the sailor man"

I watched it, but.......

I have not grown up!

'Growing up' is getting closer to the grave, one day at a time.

Resist. ;-)

If you watched Road Runner or any Loony Tunes you were alright.
But if the boys in the neighborhood caught you watching Popeye Club, you were in trouble.
I don't know why exactly.
It was a rough crowd.

Always liked watching Popeye. Most ol school cartoons are good. It wasnt often we got good reception with only 2 or 3 channels and me having to go outside to turn the damned antennae. Woody Woodpecker was pretty cool too.
Happy Birthday Popeye!

Anyone remember the guy that hosted the show and did the drawings....who was he?!!!

Jeff

I'm the "Scooby Doo" generation (first generation reruns in the very early 1970's), and the whatever generation rerun Warner Bros (RR, T&J, Daffy/Porky, etc).

TV only had working UHF tuner so ONLY got ABC (hence Scooby Doo of which I know most episodes by heart) and never saw Flintstones until I was 12!

Anyone remember the guy that hosted the show and did the drawings....who was he?!!!

Jeff

Believe his name was Tom Hatten

I was lucky enough to watch the early & late ones as a kid. Still catch a few to watch every year.
Popeye was and still is awesome.

I never understood the fighting over Olive. Look at her. Her figure is 1.
I recall a story about a nutrition guide released by our government. It showed high iron content of spinach due to a misprint. A decimal point was left out. Let the conspiracy theories fly. LOL

I also got to watch "Space 1999" and "Monty Python's Flying Circus" on PBS

-
Back