How many "H" code 71 or 72 Demon 340's remain?

-

72_340_Demon

Reaction score
Anyone have a guess at how many "H" code Demon 340's are actually left? My Demon is a "whole" 340 car (VIN LM29H2B182***) with the exception of the motor which is a 1972 340. Transmission and interior is original. Was restored in Ohio sometime in the late 1990's. If anyone recognizes it let me know.

Since there is no registry and I have no idea myself even if it's 10% there can't be many. It's pretty fascinating to research these cars.

My guess is:

1971 – 10,098 were built maybe 500 (5%) remain?

1972 – About 8,700 were built maybe 250 remain? (I've seen only 4 in Minnesota)

Let me know if you think I'm high or low on my guesses and give me yours.

I found a 1972 sitting next to a garage back in 1999 or 2000. Guy said he was about to start restoring it. Drove by there a couple years ago, and a few times last year. Still sitting, although now it's across the road now. Talking to a guy I work with about it, it happens to belong to a good friend of my co-worker. He has no idea what the dude will ever do with it. It's all there and not in the worse shape, as far as I can tell anyways. Might be worse if I actually examined it.

i d bet there more. it would be interesting to see how many though.

way low, but still i bet a little over 50% are gone of the 71's, 72's seem to be more well preserved maybe a little more than half of 72 around ..... Just a guess

we have 1 1971 h code demon, been in the garage for a looong time...waiting restoration..someday :p

Met a guy tonight at a local car show that has a 71 Hemi Orange Demon 340. Been in his garage for three years, bought it in 1992. Probably ARE a lot hiding out there.

I would guess @ 30 percent or so of them left.....I have no idea, but I like 'em :smile:

my brother was just telling me one of those gut-wrenchers we always hear about: a few years ago he noticed a '71 H-code Demon sitting only a few miles from his acreage, rotting away in a field (with no passenger door glass. interior filling with crap).
He found out who owned it, and it turned out that it was a guy whose dog came around his place every now and then- he took the opportunity to call the guy up once when the dog came around, and brought up the Demon.
"uhhh nah I'm gonna keep it...me and my kid are gonna restore it someday..."
My brother told the guy "well, come over, I'll GIVE you a door glass".

I guess it still sits there (at least the guy has stuffed a tarp in the window)
:cwm10:

I have 4 but one I was going to part out. Maybe I need to post a picture and get some feed back before I do. I bought it for parts because it has a front sway bar. The others need alot of money.

I went with my friend to look at a demon 340 a couple years ago. It was a 1972 340 auto . Gy9 dark gold metallic. Numbers matching. Guy drove it through high school in the 70's. Parked it in the early 80's. Sat in his garage since then. Pulled the motor. Left it in the corner of the garage. Guy had no idea if the motor was original or not. I checked the numbers on the block. They matched the fender tag and vin. Guy could have cared less, even if i would have told him. Parked beside it was a 71 demon drag car with a 528 hemi in it. He was a drag racer. Not a resto guy. Paid 4000 for it. Sold it to a guy in prince edward island. Still good cars out there to be found. How many are left? Your guess is as good as mine. I have a 1970 dart swinger 340.

I sold a '71 Demon 340 about 15 years back to a friend of mine. It is now restored and looks good. It's a plum crazy console auto car with a lot of options.
I had a '72 Demon 340 that i sold a couple of years after that one, same basic car as the purple one, except it was dark green. I heard it's now restored too. Both cars are in south east B.C.
A friend of mine had a '72 Demon 340 4 speed project car he sold a couple of years back, it was red and pretty rough. It's now being restored.
The same friend has a '71 Demon plum crazy 340 3 speed standard on the floor car he is restoring.
They are around if you look hard enough.
I would guess 15% to 25% actually still exist today.
Maybe 5% are on the road still.
Just my 2 cents.
Tom.

Just picked one up, probably my last build

Resized_20221120_132336_5385.jpeg

Im doing a restoration on a 71 340 4spd demon for a guy right now. A few years ago i did paint work on a 72 demon 340 auto on the floor for a friend who turned it into a 9 second drag car

Anyone have a guess at how many "H" code Demon 340's are actually left? My Demon is a "whole" 340 car (VIN LM29H2B182***) with the exception of the motor which is a 1972 340. Transmission and interior is original. Was restored in Ohio sometime in the late 1990's. If anyone recognizes it let me know.

Since there is no registry and I have no idea myself even if it's 10% there can't be many. It's pretty fascinating to research these cars.

My guess is:

1971 10,098 were built maybe 500 (5%) remain?

1972 About 8,700 were built maybe 250 remain? (I've seen only 4 in Minnesota)

Let me know if you think I'm high or low on my guesses and give me yours.
THat's a low guess I would say. THey were used and abused but they were very ought after to be restored.

Im doing a restoration on a 71 340 4spd demon for a guy right now. A few years ago i did paint work on a 72 demon 340 auto on the floor for a friend who turned it into a 9 second drag car
I might need some pointers from you

No way to have any idea how many "are left" unless you know what happened to every single one of them, which is a very daunting task.

If you're asking about 2, 3, or low 4 digit production number cars, the task is much easier, but still not guaranteed.

I picked up a 71 this summer not far from me. The guy had owned it since the late 80's, street raced it for a bit, then decided to cut the whole *** end out of it for tubbing. Well, that didn't happen and it sat all these years and parts disappeared, and the rest of the car rotted so bad it was not worth restoring. It was too bad because it was a factory B5 blue,4 speed car. I ended up selling off some stuff that came with the deal, and the rest went to National Moparts.

I've been doing one for about 5 years now. 1971 GA4 auto with floor console. Original suspension, interior and drive train but not much original metal. This one should have been parted and scrapped. Body out for paint, hopefully I'll get the engine and transmission done this winter.

IMG_1683.JPG

Keep in mind that they all aren't registered. I've been approached over the years to register my 70 H code swinger. I haven't done it because I don't want people coming looking for the car...

-
Back