How many of you Like to go on cruises?

-

Joeychgo

FABO Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Im curious - how many of you enjoy cruise ships and cruising?

What do you like about Cruising?

Which lines do you like and why? Royal Caribbean? Carnival?

What itineraries do you enjoy?

i went with my adoptive family when i was much younger and it really seems to me like the whole point of it is to eat ......thats all people did was eat ......from morning first light to bedtime ....EAT EAT EAT EAT.

it seemed expensive too .....but i dont ask about that kind of stuff to adoptive parents .....they told me to get on the boat and thats what i did.

The only cruises I have ever been on were compliments of the US Navy. I enjoyed being out at sea. On the occasions that I had a little free time, I would go to the smoking sponson and just watch the ocean roll by. As they said in "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure": It was most tranquil! I loved being out at sea. Of course, it helped that I did not get seasick. I know this isn't what you were wanting, but I had to share.

One of the things I like about cruises is, once you disembark, everything is provided. No worries about where to stay, where to eat, etc. On the ship there is plenty to keep you occupied, and yes, food, food, and more food.

My wife normally does all the planning for us when we go on vacation. Everything from the motels, places to visit, where to eat, airfare, taxis / shuttles, etc. But on a cruise, just get on the boat and have fun. Our kids enjoy it just as much as we do.

it seemed expensive too

I used to think that too... But here is the math...

I just booked myself on a 7 Day cruise in December for my wife and I.

From San Juan, Puerto Rico visiting Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, U.S.V.I. >> Bridgetown, Barbados >> Castries, St. Lucia >> Basseterre, St. Kitts >> Philipsburg, St. Maarten

We have a room with a balcony. Cost is right about $200 a day for the two of us. Any decent hotel will cost you about $150 a day minimum. But the ship includes food and entertainment for that price. So it really is cheaper to cruise. You can get cheaper rooms on the ship too. (ie no balcony)

Oh, and about the recent issues with ships. You have to remember, there are literally thousands of cruises every year. A small handful have had significant issues the last several years.

I used to think that too... But here is the math...

I just booked myself on a 7 Day cruise in December for my wife and I.

From San Juan, Puerto Rico visiting Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, U.S.V.I. >> Bridgetown, Barbados >> Castries, St. Lucia >> Basseterre, St. Kitts >> Philipsburg, St. Maarten

We have a room with a balcony. Cost is right about $200 a day for the two of us. Any decent hotel will cost you about $150 a day minimum. But the ship includes food and entertainment for that price. So it really is cheaper to cruise. You can get cheaper rooms on the ship too. (ie no balcony)

Oh, and about the recent issues with ships. You have to remember, there are literally thousands of cruises every year. A small handful have had significant issues the last several years.

Bring along your Tums or Pepto lol :D

I'm sure they are fun, just not my thing I guess

I might would go on one, but it wouldn't be with Carnival.

Went on one back in 07' to some islands Grand Turk, and a couple others on carnival. Had a blast. Would love to do it again. My sister has done quite a few, she likes Royal Caribbean best I think. Have a buddy who just left on one yesterday to PR and a couple other stops. Carnival always sends me deep discount offers to sail again.

Love them! We've been on 8 so far the last five years. 7 on Carnival and once on Norwegian. Didn't like any of the food on Norwegian. Practically everything you could eat on Carnival was fabulous. Plus Carnival's cost was great too. We usually book 7-8 day cruises out of NYC or Baltimore for $400-$500 each. We don't need a balcony or window.

We love to take the cruise to the Caribean and go scuba diving. Some site seeing tours are OK too. The best part is after you get on board, the world stops spinning and you aren't rushing anywhere any more.

Right now we are looking at another Carnival cruise for only $279 for 8 days again. NYC to Cape Canaveral FL, then Freeport and Nassau Bahamas. Pick the right week and you can get unbelievable deals!

Been on 4 cruises. Had the best times on Carnival. They haf a much livlier at mosphere, younger crowd which I don't mind, makes me feel a little younger too. It I'd a lot cheaper than a resort. I played in apoker tournament on one ctuise which I liked.The variety of ports you stop at mskes it that much more interesting. We like to go snorkling , white water rafting or maybe horse back. Off roading one trip was a blast! I think yuo'll enjoy it, we are definitely going again. Realluy want to make the Alaska cruise. Bon voyage! :glasses7:

I went on a 3-day Bahamas Cruise in 1972, at that time they would serve kids alcohol once you got into 'international waters,' I'm sure the bartender got tired of my friend and I ordering Grasshoppers (crème de menthe, crème de cocoa, and cream) but that was the only drink I knew and it tasted like a York peppermint patty.

Ok here's an idea, a FABO cruise. Joey you're in charge of the arrangements. Don't you want to be on a ship with some of the 'special' members you've dealt with over the years? Let's do this! Haha!

Been on one.Went to Jamaca/Cozumel etc.Had a really good time except for the dress up night where you HAD to wear a suit and tie(last time I wore one) Plan on one soon for our 30th Anniversary but it will be one that has casual dress.I like to eat so that is a good thing for me.

Cruised on Carnival to Cancun, Had fun,stayed half lit and was a contestant on their Gong show.Didnt have enough time to truly check out the destination though. Will funjet next time and rent scooters and hotel so I can do things on my own itinerary.

1st cruise I went on was my honeymoon in 1980. Someone suggested it to me, and I was 23yrs old and didn't know squat about them. So Im just a workin stiff at the time and pay $3500 for a two week cruise to the Caribbean on Royal Caribbean and book the Christopher Columbus suite in the Promenade deck. Like I said , I was young and dumb. We had a great time though , and even HAD to sit at the Captains table for dinner about four times. I still remember sitting next to the Captains wife and she ordered escargot for everyone. I ate it , but thought I was going to puke all over the place. Overall , there was a lot of very good food and entertainment and cool excursions. Obviously I way over did it on the first one. LOL. Since then we've been on probably twelve cruises or so. Just get the middle of the road cabin!!!.Been on Carnival, Norwegian, Celebrity and others. All pretty good and a great value for the money. Oh yea, Did cruise Alaska a few years ago. It was awesome, and Im from there. Had'nt been to my birth place since first born at Elmendorf in Anchorage. Like to try one out of Baltimore since Im close.

I've been on almost 40 of cruises now, loved every one of them !
I have a travel business that specializes in cruising so that was the attraction at first but the more you go the more you realize what a great value they are. Luckily I've been able to travel the world (everything from African safaris to mountain climbing) for a fraction of the retail price but, my first pick, is always a cruise.
You'll love it Joey and if you want any info on your stops and what to do there, just let me know.

Nope. I think it would be extremely boring. I don't want somebody else calling the shots when I go on vacation. I want to do what I want to do.

Rani said: "the whole point of it is to eat ......thats all people did was eat ......from morning first light to bedtime ....EAT EAT EAT EAT."

That's right! My cousin went on a cruise with his wife, ate 'way too much, and keeled over from a fatal heart attack soon after he got home. His widow was always very frank in acknowledging that it happened because he ate too much on the cruise.

Nope. I think it would be extremely boring. I don't want somebody else calling the shots when I go on vacation. I want to do what I want to do.

Rani said: "the whole point of it is to eat ......thats all people did was eat ......from morning first light to bedtime ....EAT EAT EAT EAT."

That's right! My cousin went on a cruise with his wife, ate 'way too much, and keeled over from a fatal heart attack soon after he got home. His widow was always very frank in acknowledging that it happened because he ate too much on the cruise.

Damn thats tough.I could skip a few meals myself.

I personally would never go on one but then again I don't like to fly either, they are too expensive and everything is planned. I'm from this country and have never seen all the great places in these United States my plans for vacations will be taking in our scenery instead of somebody else's I spent 10 years in the U.S.A.F. got to see [and live in] Asia, England, Holland, Alaska, Greenland the eastern and southern sides of our great nation but never been to the Grand Canyon or Washington State or the mid west, hell I live in Florida and have never been to Daytona Beach!!

Love them!

Seeing all the different countries/areas of the world. Although sometimes you wish you had more time in some of the locations and other times you want to get the hell out. Gives you a good idea of places you may want to visit for a extended time period.

I would never do Royal or Carnival. Im kinda a cruise snob and like paying more for the cruise to get better service. Celebrity is my #1 choice always, although I have been on Princess also and they were pretty decent. The 2 you listed are geared towards the younger crowds IMO and I cant stand being around them sometimes.

As for itineraries, it all depends. Im pretty open for anyplace. Although I love the southern Caribbean.

-
Back