How many of you without a dash pad? Now With Pics

-
Just welded up the holes. I think it looks cleaner without the pad, plus I think it costs more than it's worth to restore a trashed pad. It only costs a few cents in weld wire to clean it up.

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 399
Just welded up the holes. I think it looks cleaner without the pad, plus I think it costs more than it's worth to restore a trashed pad. It only costs a few cents in weld wire to clean it up.

For your style dash it is easy, but some of the others have huge square holes in them under the pad.
Post 15 shows one of the ones I am referring to.

My 73 Dart for example has five 3x6 cutouts where the dash pad covered.

I find on later dashes with the 5 cut outs that it's easier to weld in 2 bigger pieces of metal rather 5 smaller ones, it makes it easier to control the body line along the top of the dash. The first dash that I welded I patched each of the 5 holes individually and got some warpage, the body line along the top was all over the place.

I dont think my first 65 Barracuda even had one either. 2nd one did, one small crack in the middle: fill it and cover it, only option for me. Looks like pleather glued over it would work.

I didn't realize they were that cheap.

Those are dash pad CAPS not pads. Not that there is anything wrong with caps. I've been running one on my Dart for years and no one has ever said a word. I picked up a new repop pad from a member a couple of years back for $200, just haven't gotten around to installing it yet. Not ready to open that can of worms yet...

Those are dash pad CAPS not pads. Not that there is anything wrong with caps. I've been running one on my Dart for years and no one has ever said a word. I picked up a new repop pad from a member a couple of years back for $200, just haven't gotten around to installing it yet. Not ready to open that can of worms yet...

Still letting the backs of your hands heal up from last time? :-D

For some reason I can't manage ANYTHING hardly under the dash without ending up leaking.
I call it "Leaking coolant" but whenever I use that phrase someone suggests that I somehow made my heater core start leaking.

man you guys are wussies , 7 cap nuts , the glove box liner , and cluster , big woop LOL

Dashpad 37-1.jpg

man you guys are wussies , 7 cap nuts , the glove box liner , and cluster , big woop LOL

Yea?
Show me the backs of your hands. :-D

It looks like I'm about ready to load some pics of the progress on my dash pad area in a min or two here.
Athough I don't usually show things I do until they are done, but I'll make an exception this time.

Give a few and I'll load em up.

Yea?
Show me the backs of your hands. :-D

It looks like I'm about ready to load some pics of the progress on my dash pad area in a min or two here.
Athough I don't usually show things I do until they are done, but I'll make an exception this time.

Give a few and I'll load em up.

not a single scratch . IIRC, a short extension and deep 7/16 , and you are all set. there really isn't much to it

cant wait to see :glasses7:

Damn my winshield is dirty. :)
I gotta clean that if the rain doesn't.

Ok, so here we are.
I picked up a tach, A/F meter and awhile back I added a new fuel guage that is currently temp attached above the wiper switch till I decided what I was doing.
In the straight on shot of the guages I added the image of the fuel guage into the guage cluster with a photo program just to see it with all three guages mounted.

That last pic, I drew and pasted so you can get what the finished dash will look like and be able to post the intended outcome with the carbon fiber sheeting and trim that will be stepped on the underside so it will make a nice frame attaching it to the dash.
I will use finer grain, but this is the idea.
I will probably end up fabbing an end cap for the two ends where the aluminum trim comes together at the outside ends.

The gauge cluster is hand made from a light steel computer side cover.

Dashpad 40-1.jpg

Dashpad 40-2.jpg

Dashpad 40-3.jpg

Dashpad 40-4.jpg

Dashpad 40-5.jpg

Dashpad 40-6.jpg

They are so easy to install (even come with the adhesive) .

Do you remember what type of adhesive is used. The PO. of my Duster put a dash cap on and it seems to be lifting. So I guess he did a poor installation. I want to try and take it off and reinstall it properly.

Do you remember what type of adhesive is used. The PO. of my Duster put a dash cap on and it seems to be lifting. So I guess he did a poor installation. I want to try and take it off and reinstall it properly.

All the ones I have seen come with a tube of plain clear silicone, so if you have to pull the old one off it leaves huge patches of dried silicone to deal with before you should put on another one.

According to Accu-Form (a company that manufactures dash caps) the best adhesive to use is clear RTV Silicone.

I know it's not apparent in the picture but someone sewed a dash pad cover and stretched it over the original cracked padding. It was already on the car when I bought it and I didn't notice it for a long time.

My friend did that to his '71 Demon with the extra material he got from his interior being redone.

-
Back