How many turns on the torsion bar adjusters? I'm doing something wrong (again)

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
Clearly, I'm doing something wrong here. I turned the adjuster bolts in to where they seemed to make contact, turned them in 4 turns, thinking that would be too low. Well, I'll be damned if it doesn't look like it's pulling a wheelie. I'm not sure if I should back it out much more than that though...so what am I doing wrong?

These are 1.08" Sway Away torsion bars...which probably makes a difference.

And yes, the tape on the headlights has done an awesome job of keeping them from shattering so far! :D

Dart-4-29-18-cropped.jpg

The bigger bars take less turns to achieve the same height. There's not as much twist in the bar when your setting it.

I had the same issue on my '67 Barracuda. When I got it, it still had the /6 bars in it that were cranked all the way up. I put new 1" bars in it with new adjuster bolts and plates. I have it set at the height I want it to be, but the adjusting bolts hang down a lot more than they previously did. To the point that I don't like them hanging out below the LCA.

I was trying to find out if anyone made a shorter adjusting bolt so they don't hang down as far, but haven't been able to find anything. One thing to check,... Are you sure the adjuster bolt is fully seated in the recess of the LCA arm it is supposed to sit in?

I had the same issue on my '67 Barracuda. When I got it, it still had the /6 bars in it that were cranked all the way up. I put new 1" bars in it with new adjuster bolts and plates. I have it set at the height I want it to be, but the adjusting bolts hang down a lot more than they previously did. To the point that I don't like them hanging out below the LCA.

I was trying to find out if anyone made a shorter adjusting bolt so they don't hang down as far, but haven't been able to find anything. One thing to check,... Are you sure the adjuster bolt is fully seated in the recess of the LCA arm it is supposed to sit in?
take the bolts out and shorten them in a lathe. Of course, you'll have to duplicate the "ball end" to engage the adjusting lever socket.

take the bolts out and shorten them in a lathe. Of course, you'll have to duplicate the "ball end" to engage the adjusting lever socket.

Yeah, it could easily be done. I've got a friend who has access to a CNC lathe that could easily recreate the ball end. I would just have to measure how far they protrude and cut them down by that amount. It would just be easier to buy them if someone offered them though! :).

Make sure your lower control arm pivot is loose. Set the height where you want it. Then tighten the control arm pivot with the car on the ground. The bushings could possibly be holding it up. Also roll the car a few feet forward to settle the suspension between adjustments.

The ride height range vs the adjuster setting is set by the offset on the torsion bar hexes and how the LCA is clocked on the bar. Stock bars use 20*, aftermarket bars typically use anything from 20* all the way to 0.

Because larger bars don’t twist as much with the weight of the car, the offset on the hexes can be pretty important to the adjuster setting. The other thing is how the LCA’s are clocked in the bars. Per the factory the stock LCA’s are supposed to hang all the way down as far as they’ll go (they hit the K frame at some point). But that’s to clock them properly for a 20* offset.

With larger bars, I usually try to install the LCA’s closer to the final ride height. There can sometimes be multiple locations for the LCA install, it depends on the offset on tha bars. One location will be 60* from the next (one hex flat to the next). So sometimes you can only line up the LCA on the hex in one spot, sometimes you can line them up in two, it depends on the hex offset.

Set the ride height you want, then roll the car to settle the suspension. I usually take mine around the block to make sure the car is really settled all the way, bouncing and even rolling s couple feet doesn’t usually settle them out fully. You’ll also want to make sure that the adjuster is still in contact with the lever when thr UCA is on the upper bump stop. If it’s not, you may need taller upper bump stops (I did).

The ride height spec in the FSM is as obselete as the alignment specs if you use radials. With radials the best suspension geometry actually occurs when the control arms are parallel to the ground. Which lowers the car almost 2” from the FSM recommendation. That’s th best camber gain curve, lowest bump steer numbers, etc. Obviously you don’t have to lower the car that much, all I’m saying is the reason the FSM set the height the way it was isn’t really relevant anymore if you run radials.

-
Back