How much horsepower

-

MObarracuda

Reaction score
OK....I know the answer to this question is there is never enough. I want a sporty engine that will still hook up on the street without constantly breaking the tires loose. I have a 2016 ford GT Soto with over 400 ft lbs if tourqe and under modest acceleration it will break the tires loose.

I am rebuilding a 340 that will fit in my 1967 Barracuda fastback and have Eddy rpm alum heads, Air gap, e-street EFI, 340 cast headers running through dual 2 1/4" exhaust with a904 trans. Will shoot for 9.5-10.5:1 compression. I have upgraded the radiator and the car had original power disk brakes.

I have to select a cam and crank for the block that is at the machine house. Do I put the forged 318 crank and light connecting rods in the block or go with SCAT's 3.5" stroker. I'm afraid the stroker makes more tourqe and will overcome the smaller stock tires.

I am at +40 on the block with one cylinder sleeve due to a deep pit I did not find when I purchased the block. My question to the forum if I do nothing more than adding a traction control devise to my 8-3/4 what HP will fall under 205R14 bf Goodrich TA ability to hook up?

This is my street cruiser and I don't want to put any wider radials on the 14" stock rims or have to run or go to slicks.

OK....I know the answer to this question is there is never enough. I want a sporty engine that will still hook up on the street without constantly breaking the tires loose. I have a 2016 ford GT Soto with over 400 ft lbs if tourqe and under modest acceleration it will break the tires loose.

I am rebuilding a 340 that will fit in my 1967 Barracuda fastback and have Eddy rpm alum heads, Air gap, e-street EFI, 340 cast headers running through dual 2 1/4" exhaust with a904 trans. Will shoot for 9.5-10.5:1 compression. I have upgraded the radiator and the car had original power disk brakes.

I have to select a cam and crank for the block that is at the machine house. Do I put the forged 318 crank and light connecting rods in the block or go with SCAT's 3.5" stroker. I'm afraid the stroker makes more tourqe and will overcome the smaller stock tires.

I am at +40 on the block with one cylinder sleeve due to a deep pit I did not find when I purchased the block. My question to the forum if I do nothing more than adding a traction control devise to my 8-3/4 what HP will fall under 205R14 bf Goodrich TA ability to hook up?

This is my street cruiser and I don't want to put any wider radials on the 14" stock rims or have to run or go to slicks.
Honestly, your question is gonna have an open ended answer. I've seen stock engines break tires. It's depends on road temp, the surface material type, street or track, is the track prepped. Obviously going with the striker is gonna exaggerate the traction issues but you can always throw a set of pure slicks on it if you do hit the track and help that. A suregip honestly is gonna be needed regardless. That said, unless you're gonna drag race it every weekend, I wouldn't stroke it.

That build will overpower your 205/14's running on cat piss.

BF Goodrich TA's are raised white letter tires

And thats the end of their list of desirable qualities

BF Goodrich TA's are raised white letter tires

And thats the end of their list of desirable qualities

Not so fast there brother!
the 295s are great sliding tires; very predictable,easy to control, they never surprise me and after the first summer they go hard and last a really long time. At that time they also stop screaming, allowing me to get away with more spinning without attracting the cops. And no more smoke either, so going hammer down at 35mph, again, does not give me away.
So, by my count that is 7 more good reasons to buy them. BTW I install the blackwalls out.
lol

But I agree; OP, give your head a shake. 205s are for grandmas slanty car
You need 275s minimum with that build,on the street. More is better.The taller the better, lose the 14s
And lose the manifolds or stick to the 340 cam or less.
Why would you spend a wheelbarrow-full of money, and then saddle it with 205s? I don't understand that.

But since you ask, put a 340 cam into it at an Scr of 8.0,a 2200TC,a really small 4bbl with late opening secondaries,Or better yet, put a TQ on it and block the secondaries closed, and a rev limiter set to 5000 ; that oughtta do it! maybe. Bring lotsa gas money.

205s are an 8 inch section, probably about 6 or 6.5 tread width
The E70-14s that 340 Darts came out with in 1970 were about 7.35 inches of tread. And we all know what 340 Darts did to those Es back in the day. And you want to put less rubber on than those? And how will you stop? 205s will be like driving on ice; cannot not spin and cannot stop.

Last edited:

Look, April 1st is still 8 days away.....................................................

Honestly, your question is gonna have an open ended answer. I've seen stock engines break tires. It's depends on road temp, the surface material type, street or track, is the track prepped. Obviously going with the striker is gonna exaggerate the traction issues but you can always throw a set of pure slicks on it if you do hit the track and help that. A suregip honestly is gonna be needed regardless. That said, unless you're gonna drag race it every weekend, I wouldn't stroke it.
The was leaning that way. The old 273 was tired and the rebuilt 340 will be a vast improvement. Thanks for being the voice of reson.

The throttle has many positions between idle and too much. Tires aside if you don't floor it you won't spins them. Build what you want and learn to drive it where it's comfortable for you.

Maybe we're looking at this all wrong
Maybe we should ask why do you want to run those little tires with so much engine?
Or;if 200hp annihilates those skinny rollers, why are you building potentially a 400 hp engine?
You said;
I want a sporty engine that will still hook up on the street without constantly breaking the tires loose.
have Eddy rpm alum heads, Air gap, e-street EFI, 340 cast headers running through dual 2 1/4" exhaust with a904 trans. Will shoot for 9.5-10.5:1 compression.
I have to select a cam
My question to the forum if I do nothing more than adding a traction control devise to my 8-3/4 what HP will fall under 205R14 bf Goodrich TA ability to hook up?

So let me get this right;
Street cruiser, skinny tires, traction device,sporty engine that won't constantly break the tires loose,hi-compression,no headers,hi-rpm heads,full range intake, No cam yet, no rearend specified, no stall specified.
IMHO
This is all messed up.
But maybe I/we can help you.
I once slapped an entire teener top end onto a 340 with the teener cam,and the teener 2bbl,
and headers. Stock 1700TC and probably 2.76s. I called it my big-bore teener experience. All this in a 65 V100 wagon.
This turned out to be one of the funnest combos I ever had.
You have the potential there to have the same. But, but, there is no way to harness the torque of something like that, but by pure willpower. I had none and it never crossed my mind to not spin the tires every chance I got.
So you have the wrong size engine for your application. But you have already spent money on it, and it's too late to bail. So we are gonna have to make the best of it.
What we are gonna need to do is to reduce the torque at the starting line.
To do this, you will need a tiny rear gear, a tiny stall TC, a tiny cam, and low compression.
Typically we go the other way. I for instance have a clutch, so any stall I want. and I have a 3.09 low gear, and not so long ago, I had 4.30s. Doing the math,for first gear, I mighta been able to put something like 425ftlbs x 3.09 x 4.30=5600 plus ftlbs into the rear axles. And this will spin 325/50-15DRs like nothing.
Currently I have 3.09 x 3.55s and the same engine. The math says this can now put down 4600 plus ftlbs. It still spins those DRs like nothing. On the street I run 295/50-15s and they spin at 2000rpm or less. Lets say at 2000rpm my engine can put down 125 ftlbs on the 2 bbl not even fully open.That would math out to 1371 ftlbs into the rear axles, and it still spins those 295s,allbeit very slowly. Now if I had 205s, what do you suppose it would take to not break those loose. I'm gonna guess a 2.66 low gear and a 2.76 rear gear and less rpm. This might math out to 800ftlbs into the axles.
So that will be your target at the starting line.
How to get it.
Well number one, we need to limit the engines torque by manipulating the cam, the compression and the carb size. So we are gonna soften the hit with compression. No 10.5Scr here. No 9.5 either. We are gonna shoot for a Dcr of 7.5.
Since this is a streeter,and you want sporty, you really want a two gear charge to 65 mph. This is very sporty. So lets pick a cam and gear to work together to do this, while using the smallest TC you can find. We can't pick too small a cam, cuz it will pump up the Dcr, and that will get us tirespin right away. We don't want tirespin. On the otherhand, you are gonna probably run Caltracs, so we don't have to sacrifice everything. The Comp268 is known to be soft with low compression, but with a 904, it wants to be shifted at 6500 to 6800. So that is too much for sporty and street. We need to go down 2 or 3 sizes, but not too much more cuz then the Dcr starts to rocket up.So lets start with a 360 2bbl cam which is 252*. This cam will power peak at maybe 4800 to 5000, and will want to be shifted around 6000. Ok that's better. This cam will make a Dcr of 7.3 @ 8.5Scr,perfect; a little soft off the line.
>Now to be a two gear car and hit 65 @ 6000 will require 4.56s, OOps, maybe a bit too sporty. How about if we hit 32 mph at peak torque say 3700. This will require 3.55s in first gear; pure magic. So now we are getting somewhere. Oh but peak torque at 3700, is gonna be around 360ftlbs and with the 8.70 starter gear, this makes 3130 ftlbs into the rear axles, and that is almost guaranteed to blow the tires away. Those Caltracks are gonna be busy. So lets play it safe and go with 3.23s.This will drop the Rs at 32mph, to 3500.
Lets recap; we have a 8.5 engine with a 252/112 cam that gets us 7.3Dcr@142# cranking psi. This is a soft start,it has 3.23s to blast off at 32 mph with.
Now we have a few problems to solve. First is the 2.45x3.23starter gear of 7.91. Remember our 800ftlb target. Well it turns out that this combo will not peg there unless we severely limit the TC...800/7.91=101 ftlbs. This engine will make that right around a typical 2bbl stall of 1600. So,Yeah I think that's gonna work.
Next is the AG. I'm afraid that is too much manifold. To be sporty with that 7.3 Dcr, we are gonna need to keep the airspeed up at low rpms. To that end we are gonna pick a carb first. And I choose a small spreadbore. And then slide a proper spreadbore dual plane manifold under it. Pick one anyone.The spreadbore has smaller primaries to soften the bottom a little more , yet the big back dumps will let her breath at 6000. I know; how about the stock 1970 340 AVS and its manifold. Or the 71 TQ, and its manifold.If we do that, then we can put a bit more TC into her. Now maybe an 1800 TC will work.
Another recap; Now we have the TC of 1800, the 3.23s,SG of course, and the induction figured out.
Now what about those heads? Well first,they are way more head than you need. But you already got them so lets use them. They will allow us to put a half a point more compression into the program, giving us a 7.7 Dcr@ 9.0Scr and 152 psi cranking pressure. This will make it easier to achieve the proper Scr. They are a really good head, even for this combo. These heads and this combo will now want a custom cam. The heads will accept I think 550lift and we want an advertised of 252/112. You ill need 1.6 arm to get there, but you and the grinder can work that out. This will put the Sport back into the midrange, and extend the operating range at the top. To get the most of the custom cam, you should consider some specialty port work.
Another recap; now we have the heads and custom cam figured out.
>Now what about this 9.0 engine, how to do that? Well assuming a 4.08 bore and a 3.31 stroke, this requires a total chamber volume of 88.78cc. I think the heads are 65cc, the gasket is 8.9, the eyebrows are 5, and that leaves the deck clearance to be 9.88. This would require the flat-top pistons to be .046 down in the hole. That would get you a Q of .085. That's a lot. So perhaps some stepD-cup pistons. I don't see them in the KB catalog for 340s so you will have to shop around. This type of piston has to be custom fit.So this is gonna be the tricky part. They do have a #243 piston which appears to have a step on top. if you machine that off just right, You might be able to achieve a tight Q AND drop the cr to where it needs to be.
Final recap;
What I have outlined here is basically as powerful as a warmed up teener, and it's gonna cost you a lot of money. It's a low compression 340 with a highlift 360 2bblcam, a good breathing top end,saddled with log manifolds. It has a 340TC and 3.23 gears
I wouldn't spend my money like this.
You can get almost the same thing by going to the junkyard and grabbing a 5.2 Magnum. For like,under $1000.And converting it to your EFi.
And if you blow it up, you can get another for less than $1000.lol
You can do that 3 or perhaps 4 more times and still not have spent as much as on this 340.
And that Magnum will still smoke those 205s
Well maybe not with caltracs. I heard those work pretty good.

It would be far more reasonable to get 275s under there, and build an easy 325 to 350hp 340

Last edited:
Maybe we're looking at this all wrong
Maybe we should ask why do you want to run those little tires with so much engine?
Or;if 200hp annihilates those skinny rollers, why are you building potentially a 400 hp engine?
You said;

So let me get this right;
Street cruiser, skinny tires, traction device,sporty engine that won't constantly break the tires loose,hi-compression,no headers,hi-rpm heads,full range intake, No cam yet, no rearend specified, no stall specified.
IMHO
This is all messed up.
But maybe I/we can help you.
I once slapped an entire teener top end onto a 340 with the teener cam,and the teener 2bbl,
and headers. Stock 1700TC and probably 2.76s. I called it my big-bore teener experience. All this in a 65 V100 wagon.
This turned out to be one of the funnest combos I ever had.
You have the potential there to have the same. But, but, there is no way to harness the torque of something like that, but by pure willpower. I had none and it never crossed my mind to not spin the tires every chance I got.
So you have the wrong size engine for your application. But you have already spent money on it, and it's too late to bail. So we are gonna have to make the best of it.
What we are gonna need to do is to reduce the torque at the starting line.
To do this, you will need a tiny rear gear, a tiny stall TC, a tiny cam, and low compression.
Typically we go the other way. I for instance have a clutch, so any stall I want. and I have a 3.09 low gear, and not so long ago, I had 4.30s. Doing the math,for first gear, I mighta been able to put something like 425ftlbs x 3.09 x 4.30=5600 plus ftlbs into the rear axles. And this will spin 325/50-15DRs like nothing.
Currently I have 3.09 x 3.55s and the same engine. The math says this can now put down 4600 plus ftlbs. It still spins those DRs like nothing. On the street I run 295/50-15s and they spin at 2000rpm or less. Lets say at 2000rpm my engine can put down 125 ftlbs on the 2 bbl not even fully open.That would math out to 1371 ftlbs into the rear axles, and it still spins those 295s,allbeit very slowly. Now if I had 205s, what do you suppose it would take to not break those loose. I'm gonna guess a 2.66 low gear and a 2.76 rear gear and less rpm. This might math out to 800ftlbs into the axles.
So that will be your target at the starting line.
How to get it.
Well number one, we need to limit the engines torque by manipulating the cam, the compression and the carb size. So we are gonna soften the hit with compression. No 10.5Scr here. No 9.5 either. We are gonna shoot for a Dcr of 7.5.
Since this is a streeter,and you want sporty, you really want a two gear charge to 65 mph. This is very sporty. So lets pick a cam and gear to work together to do this, while using the smallest TC you can find. We can't pick too small a cam, cuz it will pump up the Dcr, and that will get us tirespin right away. We don't want tirespin. On the otherhand, you are gonna probably run Caltracs, so we don't have to sacrifice everything. The Comp268 is known to be soft with low compression, but with a 904, it wants to be shifted at 6500 to 6800. So that is too much for sporty and street. We need to go down 2 or 3 sizes, but not too much more cuz then the Dcr starts to rocket up.So lets start with a 360 2bbl cam which is 252*. This cam will power peak at maybe 4800 to 5000, and will want to be shifted around 6000. Ok that's better. This cam will make a Dcr of 7.3 @ 8.5Scr,perfect; a little soft off the line.
>Now to be a two gear car and hit 65 @ 6000 will require 4.56s, OOps, maybe a bit too sporty. How about if we hit 32 mph at peak torque say 3700. This will require 3.55s in first gear; pure magic. So now we are getting somewhere. Oh but peak torque at 3700, is gonna be around 360ftlbs and with the 8.70 starter gear, this makes 3130 ftlbs into the rear axles, and that is almost guaranteed to blow the tires away. Those Caltracks are gonna be busy. So lets play it safe and go with 3.23s.This will drop the Rs at 32mph, to 3500.
Lets recap; we have a 8.5 engine with a 252/112 cam that gets us 7.3Dcr@142# cranking psi. This is a soft start,it has 3.23s to blast off at 32 mph with.
Now we have a few problems to solve. First is the 2.45x3.23starter gear of 7.91. Remember our 800ftlb target. Well it turns out that this combo will not peg there unless we severely limit the TC...800/7.91=101 ftlbs. This engine will make that right around a typical 2bbl stall of 1600. So,Yeah I think that's gonna work.
Next is the AG. I'm afraid that is too much manifold. To be sporty with that 7.3 Dcr, we are gonna need to keep the airspeed up at low rpms. To that end we are gonna pick a carb first. And I choose a small spreadbore. And then slide a proper spreadbore dual plane manifold under it. Pick one anyone.The spreadbore has smaller primaries to soften the bottom a little more , yet the big back dumps will let her breath at 6000. I know; how about the stock 1970 340 AVS and its manifold. Or the 71 TQ, and its manifold.If we do that, then we can put a bit more TC into her. Now maybe an 1800 TC will work.
Another recap; Now we have the TC of 1800, the 3.23s,SG of course, and the induction figured out.
Now what about those heads? Well first,they are way more head than you need. But you already got them so lets use them. They will allow us to put a half a point more compression into the program, giving us a 7.7 Dcr@ 9.0Scr and 152 psi cranking pressure. This will make it easier to achieve the proper Scr. They are a really good head, even for this combo. These heads and this combo will now want a custom cam. The heads will accept I think 550lift and we want an advertised of 252/112. You ill need 1.6 arm to get there, but you and the grinder can work that out. This will put the Sport back into the midrange, and extend the operating range at the top. To get the most of the custom cam, you should consider some specialty port work.
Another recap; now we have the heads and custom cam figured out.
>Now what about this 9.0 engine, how to do that? Well assuming a 4.08 bore and a 3.31 stroke, this requires a total chamber volume of 88.78cc. I think the heads are 65cc, the gasket is 8.9, the eyebrows are 5, and that leaves the deck clearance to be 9.88. This would require the flat-top pistons to be .046 down in the hole. That would get you a Q of .085. That's a lot. So perhaps some stepD-cup pistons. I don't see them in the KB catalog for 340s so you will have to shop around. This type of piston has to be custom fit.So this is gonna be the tricky part. They do have a #243 piston which appears to have a step on top. if you machine that off just right, You might be able to achieve a tight Q AND drop the cr to where it needs to be.
Final recap;
What I have outlined here is basically as powerful as a warmed up teener, and it's gonna cost you a lot of money. It's a low compression 340 with a highlift 360 2bblcam, a good breathing top end,saddled with log manifolds. It has a 340TC and 3.23 gears
I wouldn't spend my money like this.
You can get almost the same thing by going to the junkyard and grabbing a 5.2 Magnum. For like,under $1000.And converting it to your EFi.
And if you blow it up, you can get another for less than $1000.lol
You can do that 3 or perhaps 4 more times and still not have spent as much as on this 340.
And that Magnum will still smoke those 205s
Well maybe not with caltracs. I heard those work pretty good.

It would be far more reasonable to get 275s under there, and build an easy 325 to 350hp 340
I have read your post three time and it is starting to make sense. I have friend in the industry who works for edelbrock so I for most of the items at cost so the investment is lower than normal. This is my first vintage car and I am doing this on my own (as you can tell). Looks like I will need to research wider tires and traction aids.

I will continue to read and research your post. Would it be OK to PM you a question or two after I do my homework?

If you are willing to; A) leave those 205s behind, and B) fit the biggest tire in there you can,or C) at least the second biggest, then your 340 is currently moving in the right direction.
Once the compression ratio is finalized, it will be easy to select a suitable cam for you. For just a Sporty Streeter, the 3.31 stroke crank will be fine.
But if you are getting your parts at bargain prices.....
A stroker would be nice, allowing a much smaller cam to be Sporty. Unfortunately, Strokers have a propensity to build big compression numbers, which are not good with small cams.
I'm assuming the pistons have already been selected.
Your current combo is all set to make about 10.7 with 340 pop-up pistons.This is a great place to be with those aluminum heads. It's probably a little on the high side, cuz for you,I'm leaning towards a 220ish cam. But I think we can accommodate things.There are many 220ish cams to select from.
Furthermore, as someone mentioned, the tires only spin,IF you cannot control your right foot. Just cuz you have enough power to spin them, doesn't mean they always have to. With typical street gears like 3.23s,once you hit second gear, things settle down a bit, and by third gear things are downright mellow.
The thing that would make me nervous is when your 17 year old son wants to take it to grad. Then it's open-season on the bodywork, cuz for a teenager,those 205s will be like driving on ball-bearings.
I'm assuming this is going into an A-body; oh yeah 67 Barracuda. I have a 68. These are short wb cars, and carry about 54% of their weight over the front. That means they are light in the rear. And that means, when they get sideways just a little too far,then they like to keep on going sideways until acted on by another force. But Darts are worse. They have a tad more weight back there, but some of it is waaaay back there. The Barracuda at least, has short over-hangs. Plus it has about the biggest A-body wheel wells.
I cannot tell you the hundreds of times my Barracuda spun around, just driving a little aggressively, with 245s. I went straight to 275/50s next, with similar results. 275/60s were next on the hit list. They were better,but still it would spin around. I finally got tired of that, and stuffed 295s in there. I have yet to spin out with these, and it's been many years that they have been in there.Now I can lay as much throttle in as I want, and if it steps out a bit too far for this old guy, I just roll out a little throttle or lay a bit of clutch on it, and she quits that nonsense instantly; so you better be ready with some opposite steer. It's actually pretty funny to watch the passengers head when it does this. I don't get many passengers anymore, only my son rides along these days. He's tough.
I did not need the 295s for forward traction, the 275s were pretty good. No, I needed the width for sideways traction.To keep me off the boulevards and out of the ditches. With 245s it would flat out spin in microseconds. The taller 275s gave me more time to react, but being in my 50s at the time, my son said I was just old. Well he was no better at it, and he is 31 years my junior! 295s solved our problems.
If you do not have a teenager in your house, perhaps you don't need 295s, but I strongly recommend 275s at least.

Last edited:
the 295s are great sliding tires; very predictable,easy to control, they never surprise me and after the first summer they go hard and last a really long time. At that time they also stop screaming, allowing me to get away with more spinning without attracting the cops. And no more smoke either, so going hammer down at 35mph, again, does not give me away.
So, by my count that is 7 more good reasons to buy them. BTW I install the blackwalls out.
lol

But I agree; OP, give your head a shake. 205s are for grandmas slanty car
You need 275s minimum with that build,on the street. More is better.The taller the better, lose the 14s
And lose the manifolds or stick to the 340 cam or less.
Why would you spend a wheelbarrow-full of money, and then saddle it with 205s? I don't understand that.

But since you ask, put a 340 cam into it at an Scr of 8.0,a 2200TC,a really small 4bbl with late opening secondaries,Or better yet, put a TQ on it and block the secondaries closed, and a rev limiter set to 5000 ; that oughtta do it! maybe. Bring lotsa gas money.

205s are an 8 inch section, probably about 6 or 6.5 tread width
The E70-14s that 340 Darts came out with in 1970 were about 7.35 inches of tread. And we all know what 340 Darts did to those Es back in the day. And you want to put less rubber on than those? And how will you stop? 205s will be like driving on ice; cannot not spin and cannot stop.

I can back that up too AJ. 275 bfg ta on my demon, 400 hp 340. 4k launch they spin maybe 15-20 feet then hook. They shift the car maybe 6" to the right but it is always predictable. Dont get that loud tire screech either, unless i grab 2nd or 3rd lol

If you are willing to; A) leave those 205s behind, and B) fit the biggest tire in there you can,or C) at least the second biggest, then your 340 is currently moving in the right direction.
Once the compression ratio is finalized, it will be easy to select a suitable cam for you. For just a Sporty Streeter, the 3.31 stroke crank will be fine.
But if you are getting your parts at bargain prices.....
A stroker would be nice, allowing a much smaller cam to be Sporty. Unfortunately, Strokers have a propensity to build big compression numbers, which are not good with small cams.
I'm assuming the pistons have already been selected.
Your current combo is all set to make about 10.7 with 340 pop-up pistons.This is a great place to be with those aluminum heads. It's probably a little on the high side, cuz for you,I'm leaning towards a 220ish cam. But I think we can accommodate things.There are many 220ish cams to select from.
Furthermore, as someone mentioned, the tires only spin,IF you cannot control your right foot. Just cuz you have enough power to spin them, doesn't mean they always have to. With typical street gears like 3.23s,once you hit second gear, things settle down a bit, and by third gear things are downright mellow.
The thing that would make me nervous is when your 17 year old son wants to take it to grad. Then it's open-season on the bodywork, cuz for a teenager,those 205s will be like driving on ball-bearings.
I'm assuming this is going into an A-body; oh yeah 67 Barracuda. I have a 68. These are short wb cars, and carry about 54% of their weight over the front. That means they are light in the rear. And that means, when they get sideways just a little too far,then they like to keep on going sideways until acted on by another force. But Darts are worse. They have a tad more weight back there, but some of it is waaaay back there. The Barracuda at least, has short over-hangs. Plus it has about the biggest A-body wheel wells.
I cannot tell you the hundreds of times my Barracuda spun around, just driving a little aggressively, with 245s. I went straight to 275/50s next, with similar results. 275/60s were next on the hit list. They were better,but still it would spin around. I finally got tired of that, and stuffed 295s in there. I have yet to spin out with these, and it's been many years that they have been in there.Now I can lay as much throttle in as I want, and if it steps out a bit too far for this old guy, I just roll out a little throttle or lay a bit of clutch on it, and she quits that nonsense instantly; so you better be ready with some opposite steer. It's actually pretty funny to watch the passengers head when it does this. I don't get many passengers anymore, only my son rides along these days. He's tough.
I did not need the 295s for forward traction, the 275s were pretty good. No, I needed the width for sideways traction.To keep me off the boulevards and out of the ditches. With 245s it would flat out spin in microseconds. The taller 275s gave me more time to react, but being in my 50s at the time, my son said I was just old. Well he was no better at it, and he is 31 years my junior! 295s solved our problems.
If you do not have a teenager in your house, perhaps you don't need 295s, but I strongly recommend 275s at least.
I scored a used set of Chrysler Rallye wheels with 275 R14 60 on 8
I can back that up too AJ. 275 bfg ta on my demon, 400 hp 340. 4k launch they spin maybe 15-20 feet then hook. They shift the car maybe 6" to the right but it is always predictable. Dont get that loud tire screech either, unless i grab 2nd or 3rd lol
i appreciate the testimonial. AJ has got me going in the right direction. 275's are the way to go.

the 295s are great sliding tires;
I never said they were any good for traction,
Cuz I don't think they are,especially after a few thousand miles go by. Then I can spin 'em forever.
When brand spanking new, they are better, but only a little better,lol. They still often spin to the top of second gear which in my combo is 85 mph.You might ask, how can he possibly know that, since they are no longer smoking or screaming? Well the answer is easy. I have a GVOD that I use as a splitter. When I leave the line, I put the tack on 7200, and keep it there all the way thru first, first-over and then to the top of second. So either they are spinning, or my clutch is slipping. Since there is no clutch smoke or stink, I'm going with tirespin. When I split into second od at over 80mph, my rpm will be 5600, right about where my 230@050 cam powerpeaks. So, I think I could spin 'em some more.I just don't care too.
I was only extolling their other characteristics,lol, None of which make them particularly desirable,for most guys; I was more or less yanking diymirages chain,kindof like I am now yanking yours, please forgive me,lol.

But since you seem to be able to make them stick, what's your secret?Wait let me guess, do you have a vacuum secondary carb!

Not sure lol cant remember, its a eddy thunder series. I guess my car just has a sweet spot launch at 4k. This is on the street though on fairly new asphalt with a 4 speed. Running about 28-30 psi. Running a pinion snubber with factory springs out of a duster and sub frame connectors. I guess if i launch at 6k i wouldnt get any traction lol

Really wasnt much choice on tires, lets see cooper cobras or bfg ta, i went with the bfg.

Now i come to think of it if i put drag radials on it i may start breaking stuff. Already had to put a torque strap on the engine and have bent a pinion subber bracket from it peing out too far over the pinion yoke

Comments in the quote
Not sure lol cant remember, its a eddy thunder series.That's an AVS, Air Valve Secondary. Are you having any fuel percolation troubles with it?What intake under it?
I guess my car just has a sweet spot launch at 4k. This is on the street though on fairly new asphalt with a 4 speed. Running about 28-30 psi. Running a pinion snubber with factory springs out of a duster and sub frame connectors. I guess if i launch at 6k i wouldnt get any traction lol
Really wasnt much choice on tires, lets see cooper cobras or bfg ta, i went with the bfg.Don't worry the Coopers are no better
Now i come to think of it if i put drag radials on it i may start breaking stuff. Already had to put a torque strap on the engine Yeah my car on day 1, hit the road with a Schumacher strap.
and have bent a pinion subber bracket from it peing out too far over the pinion yoke I have a beat up floor from that snubber

I love 71 Demons, I think they are the most muscular looking A-bodies of all time.
I have never been able to figure out what I was thinking,when back in the early 80s, I parted my beater out. I shoulda hot-rodded it, it wasn't that bad yet, and would still go for mucho dinero today. It was just a little too beat up for me at the time. Boy if I only had it today, with what I know now.But at the time, the babies were arriving, and that took precedence.
I still have the powertrain from it. The teener was my winter engine 5 winters in a row, then got installed into my sons 84D100, where it hauled *** for about 8 more years. Now it sits, waiting for it's new home.The tranny in it was the best-shifting factory 904 I ever came across, so I cloned it two more times. One of those clones made it into the S with the winter engine, and eventually into the D100 also. The original is still on the shelf.
Hyup, I love those 71s. Congratulations on owning a fine piece of history.

Last edited:
-
Back