How much lift can be run with stock magnum lifters??

-

dadodgekid

When in doubt... floor it
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has measured how much lift it takes before the lifter hits the the wish bone in the lift valley. i can cut the guides down on the head, just interested in the valley area. Thanks guys!

Just curious if anyone has measured how much lift it takes before the lifter hits the the wish bone in the lift valley. i can cut the guides down on the head, just interested in the valley area. Thanks guys!
I know a .500ish lift works with a valve spring swap. Id call Hughes. They know the answer to all your questions

How much was the Magnum 360/380 cam lift? That's a starting point at least.
I'm running a .530 lift cam.

I think you would uncover the oiling hole in the oil galley to the lifters before you would do any damage elsewhere. You probably can go with a good bit of lift.

My Magnum has a Hughs with .544 lift. The crate motors were under .500.

Crate motor 360/380 hp cam has .501/.513 lift.

Last 360 I built has a .585 hyd roller in it with factory replacement hyd magnum roller lifters and dog bone. I think .600 would be the limit for me ,if that.

Typically valve lift over 25 % of intake valve size does not provide much additional flow.

It means there is no additional airflow over 0.5 inch lift with a 2.0 inch intake valve.
This is just a pretty good general guideline- your results may vary.

Typically valve lift over 25 % of intake valve size does not provide much additional flow.
This is why porting is so popular. LOL!
Most factory heads stall somewhere around .500 at the valve.
This is why most street work done on heads consists of valve work and minor bowl porting.
For the most part, valve work handles lifts to approx. lifts of 400. After that, more gains can be found with porting the bowl.
This is the most popular type of work for true street driven cars. Porting beyond that point turns to a street strip effort type of work and results.
My particular heads are elbrocks that can use the "More lift the Merry" thinking as it also works with the build at hand and in the future.

Last edited:
-
Back