How much power from intake swap?

-

MRL Performance

Reaction score
So, how much power are we going to gain/lose with this intake swap??

Going from a 383 Victor to Indy Tunnel ram.

Heads are MAX Wedge size ports. Victor port is .125" shorter. Tunnel Ram is Max wedge size. Single Dominator, nice CNC spacer and has a Hump welded in under carb pad to help air flow to all the runners from the central mounted carb.

So what do you think???? It made 730HP last time with the Victor and the 1050.

Attachments

• Eric victor.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 915
  • Eric Tunnel ram.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 907
I'd say just by the way it looks alone, that you would loose power, the way the carb lines up with the intake ports you'd think that the front and rear cylinders would lean out. But if I was a betting man I would say loose torque below 4000 and gain above, maybe 20 hp for the TR.

Not leaving anyone hanging. I really don't know what this change will do. The intake has a real nice molded piece of aluminum right under the carb and a CNC ported spacer. The air flow should be pretty good.

I've seen single four tunnel rams on the dyno before. I really hope it doesn't, but I think you are going to lose power. You've put in a great effort in the design so I'd be glad to be wrong.

It was a toss up on this intake. My customer got a good deal on it so we are going to try it. I have talked to some other people who have tried single dom's on TR intakes, and its a mixed bag. I will post some pics of the mods inside later today, its off to the dyno for a 408 this morning for me.

God that looks horrible to me Mike! The hump/turtle may help a little, but I'd be thrilled to just break even with that setup. I hope you have some time allocated for tuning while on the pump?

My opinion, I honestly think you'll have to load that carb so heavy to make any power, the BSFC will end up way out of wack. Good thing it's a large carb, as anything smaller with a low end signal would probably bounce the mixture all over the place trying to get to the outer cylinders.

Watch you prove me completely wrong...:D

How bout a 2"/3" machined/fabbed "plenum" installed between the top and bottom? :)

This will be a interesting test Mike. I predict a slight gain at high rpm but not much. A dual quad top would make it happy! tmm

Victor intake can not be opened up to MW size. Its worth a shot right? I have never run a single carb try but I'm game to try it.

I have a thought on this. I was going to put a V shaped splitter at each end to help air flow into the most runners.

Attachments

• IMG_20141018_134104.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 717
  • IMG_20141018_134130.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 717
  • IMG_20141018_134145.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 713
  • IMG_20141018_134119.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 709
  • IMG_20141018_134206.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 722
How much time & $$$ is the customer willing to put into this? I have know doubt you'll get the best out of it that can be had, but at what cost...

What are your thoughts on monitoring the individual EGT's once you start pouring the coal's to it? A gun, or even probe's if available?

Some "blow thru" boost would sure make it interesting. :D

He can not run duals, rules wont allow it. And he has no plans to move into a bigger class with this engine. If he does move into another class, its going to be a 540ci MONSTER making 1200hp+ and at that point its not going to be a low deck like this engine.

I have a plan :) Hope it works

I think its going to need a "High hat top" For the rite gain......
I do like the divider idea.... Hummmm

Straightening the intake runner is never a bad idea. two carbs would be better, but i thing it will have an improvement through most of the rpm range.

aka faster at the track but my not have a higher max HP number.......................

MRL would you toss it on the dyno already!:poke::D

Its not going on the dyno until next year. I have a bit of work to do before this one will get done. He shipped it early because he is getting super busy at work and would not have time to get it to me later in the year. I have plenty of time to figure this out. He is checking to see if we can run a Split Dominator(still only 4bbls).

I tried that same Indy tunnel ram on my 500" RB against an Indy single plane. The single plane was dyno'd with a 950HP and made 750 hp. The tunnel ram had dual quads, two 750HP's and it made 773 with minimal tuning. They made the same tq but the tunnel ram made it 600 rpm higher in the power band. The tunnel ram also made better average numbers from 3,500 - 7,000. I know it's not apples to apples to what you're doing but it's just what we learned when we experimented. Either way you will have a lot of interesting and usefull information when it's all said and done.

-
Back