How much power with a manual water pump?

-

dusterdoug

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone producing 625-650 hp and running a manual (crank driven) water pump on a street car?

Which pump?
Any issues?
Any failures?
Any success??

Thanks!

Anyone producing 625-650 hp and running a manual (crank driven) water pump on a street car?

Which pump?
Any issues?
Any failures?
Any success??

Thanks!

I am , should be more h.p. than that /milodon pump---------

Let me advise this...

Check to make sure the fins are tack welded to the rotor.

Don't ask how I became aware mine wasn't....

Let me advise this...

Check to make sure the fins are tack welded to the rotor.

Don't ask how I became aware mine wasn't....

I pulled the entire pump shaft out of the bearings and impeller twice before by shifting at 7k with a solid mechanical fan. (two weekends in a row):D

Both times it took the radiator, shroud and upper hose out.

I pulled the entire pump shaft out of the bearings and impeller twice before by shifting at 7k with a solid mechanical fan. (two weekends in a row):D

Both times it took the radiator, shroud and upper hose out.

I run twin electic pullers.

Which pump?
Any issues?
Any failures?
Any success??

Thanks!

The Milodon and Flowkooler pumps are very good. If you are shifting at 7k or above, you may have to slow the water pump down to keep the belts on.

Use a Stewart Components thermostat.

Interesting , two 426 hemi`s, 2 hot chevys, and a 505'' 440 , never had a pump come apart .

Yep, pulled the shaft right out of the bearings and impeller and destroyed the radiator, shroud and fan TWO Saturdays in a row.
Lucky I had a buddy that worked in a wrecking/scrap yard and during those same years there were a lot of Mopar big block cop cars in the yards.:D

My car is shifted at 7400. 260 runs on it. 440 source water pump and pump housing. 90 amp 1 wire alternator. Top cog belt. Not sure what size the pulleys are. Factory 2 core rad. No shroud. 470 stroker. 655hp and 620tq. Kim

Had a pump snout shear off of a 454 Monte I owned while my head was under the hood !

Bran new pump !

I ran my 440 with the stock Chrysler pump for years with no problems, it was on the housing when I got it so has to be good right? Now the last time I refreshed the motor I put a new Eldelbrock on it.
I ran the car with the Moroso pump drive one year but didn't care for it.
I like the reliability of the crank driven water pump.

I'll add that this 440 is 645 hp 620 tq.

I prefer a crank driven pump as well but will say the only pump that ever failed me were stock style.

I have run an electric CSR. Very nice, but I still prefer a stock style pump.

Which pump?
Any issues?
Any failures?
Any success??

Thanks!

Yeah sure, why not? I run manual water pumps on both of my cars and they both have stroker big blocks making more than 600 hp. The Duster has a Cordoba radiator with shroud and clutch fan. All set up like the factory would've done it.
DSC_4017 (Large).JPG

-
Back