How often do you guys start your car over winter storage?

-

Kllrbee

Reaction score
Specifically those of you in the sub freezing zones. Im in midwest, IL/WI border, so you know it gets pretty cold here.
Im really not concerned with batteries, as I put the car and bike on trickle chargers. More curious about getting some fuel going thru the carb. If I wait 2 weeks, its a monster to get going. Probly choke is not optimally set, but it is working. 6 pack carbs.
Just curious. Thanks!

I’m in Massachusetts it’s been 5-7 degrees, I just pump the shi$ out of the gas pedal hold it too the floor and turn the key, starts up every time

LOL...Yeah, Ive done that too. But Ive also flooded more than a few cars in the past doing it that way.
How long between starts? It doesnt matter how cold it is if I start it every 3 days, it fires right up.

My cars are stored inside, but I have choices on which one to drive and when.

If one has sat more than a month, I top up the fuel bowl in the carb through the vent. I use a rinsed out Frenches Mustard bottle.

I also use non-methanol gas in all my cars.

I have battery kill switches, so no need for 'battery maintainers' or the extra cost to run them on my electric bill.

(Two of my cars have OE clocks, so they can drain a battery over time)

I don't start mine until it's 65 degrees, about the time I can drive it.
I figure the less wear and tear the better.

I parked mine in October, started them in mid November, and again this past Saturday. Just pump the pedal while cranking and they fire up pretty quick. It does of course depend on how well the choke is adjusted and the state of tune. I also use only non ethanol fuel in them.

I park mine in late October and start it in Late May. Fresh oil, fill her up with premium non-methanol fuel, fog the Cylinders (put old plugs in for next season start-up), and take the battery out.

EDIT: And of course fuel stabilizer in the system.

Last edited:
I live in east central Indiana, and my cars are stored inside my insulated, but non-heated pole barn. I put Stabil in my gas tanks in November, and then start the cars maybe one or two times in the December - February timeframe. I let them run long enough to open the thermostats. In March, I start to do seasonal maintenance and maybe a cruise or two by April if the weather is good.

you have to be careful how much you start it up without getting up to operating temp, can cause condensation in the oil and in the exhaust system.

Specifically those of you in the sub freezing zones. Im in midwest, IL/WI border, so you know it gets pretty cold here.
Im really not concerned with batteries, as I put the car and bike on trickle chargers. More curious about getting some fuel going thru the carb. If I wait 2 weeks, its a monster to get going. Probly choke is not optimally set, but it is working. 6 pack carbs.
Just curious. Thanks!
I park my dart in October. Pull battery and put fuel stabilizer in a full tank.Start it back up in April. FYI, not a good idea starting an engine up unless you plan on bringing it up to full operating temperature. Otherwise condensation will build up in engine dilute the oil and cause more harm them good.RJ

I use fuel stabilizer, and when I start them, they run for a good 20 minutes, make sure they get up to operating temperature.

I always let it get up to op temp...or theres really no point. Hence, why Im asking. Having to start it up once or twice a week and letting it run for 20 minutes each time can start to be a drain on the ol pocketbook. I guess I never really thought about it, cuz every carbureted car Ive ever had was a daily driver, so there was no "storage" period. I think Ill take some advice here and just go ahead and let her sit until warmer weather. Stabil is good stuff, use it in my tractor, generator, etc.

Sea foam is also a fuel stabilizer. I add it to last tank of fuel. Start them when weather permits. So near freezing and on a sunny day. Shed is bone dry,and sun warms it up nice.

Only start mine if it can run long enough to come fully up to temperature and enough RPM to blow the exhaust out and do donuts....

I’m in CT where temps range sometimes one day it’s 7degrees and the next 47degrees F

I stay in the theory that I do not start them just to start them. I used to but between battery minders and why wake a sleeping dog knowing starting a cold engine is worse than leaving it alone. Also, I change my oil at the end over each season so fresh oil with little acid build up is in the pan.
Just my 2 cents.

Fuel stabilizer in tank with premium gas and run it long enough to get the stabilizer mixed gas into the carburetor, then kill the engine using engine fogger. Park it in mid November and disconnect the battery. In mid April spray bottle with gasoline into carb throat and it fires up. Drive/run it long enough to spit the fogger out and ready for another season.
I used to do the mid season start ups but that just puts condensation into your exhaust system.

For the guys that interrupt their car's seasonal storage to start the engine, and knowing that it is your car and you should do with it as you wish. I ask, please list out the benefits to the car's: engine, drive train, fuel system, exhaust system or any other vehicle component of that practice.

Asking, knowing that unless the car has an auxiliary oil pressure system, or you remove the distributor to spin the oil pump independently, it is during start up that
there is the potential for bearing to metal and metal to metal contact. Within moments of shutting down an engine the hydrodynamic wave of oil in the cam and crank journals is gone, probably with in hours the film of oil necessary to fully protect the cylinder walls, ring lands, push rod ends, lifter faces has drained away. Those protective oil films return during engine start, but not in the initial 90 degrees of crankshaft rotation. Probably not in the initial 360 degrees of crankshaft rotation.
This is without mentioning adding condensation related deposits and issues to the crankcase, exhaust valves, exhaust system. And don't think that you have protected the engine and systems from condensation because you warm the engine to 'operating temperature'. Because as heated surfaces cool in cold weather condensation will form on the surface.

I start mine once or twice a winter, fire them up and let them warm up good. If the parking lot is clear drive them around the lot to get all the juices flowing.

Last edited:
-
Back