' ball-pointpens

Man had not yet invented:
'pantyhose
' air conditioners
' dishwashers
' clothes dryers
' and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and
' man hadn't yet walked on the moon

Your Grandfather and I got married first, and then lived together.
Every family had a father and a mother.

Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, "Sir."

And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, "Sir."

We were before gay-rights, computer-dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy.

Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.

We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.

Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.

Draft dodgers were those who closed front doors as the evening breeze started.

Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends — not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CD's, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.

We listened to Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.

If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan' on it, it was junk.

The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.

Pizza Hut, McDonald's,and instant coffee were unheard of.
We had 5 & dime stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.

Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.

And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

You could buy a new Ford Coupe for $600,but who could afford one? Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.

In my day:
'"grass" was mowed,
' "coke" was a cold drink,
' "pot" was something your mother cooked in and
' "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.
' "Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,
' "chip" meant a piece of wood,
' "hardware" was found in a hardware store and
' "software" wasn't even a word.

We were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby.
We volunteered to protect our precious country.
No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap.
How old do you think I am?

Read on to see -- pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad at the same time.

Are youready?????

This woman would be only 68 years old.
She would have been born in late 1952.
GIVES YOU SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT.

PASS THIS ON TO THE OTHER “OLD ONES.”
BECAUSE THE YOUNG ONES WOULDN'T BELIEVE IT.

Okay, just for fun. My mom is 103. She rode the ice wagon down the dirt road near her house. Her mom used to shoot pheasant with a .22 from her back porch and cook 'em for dinner. One time we were talking about modern conveniences we wouldn't want to live without. My grandmother said, "Hot water coming out of the wall."

That's pretty cool, but lots of that stuff was available to consumers before 1952. They may not have been perfected or mainstream, but available.
Television
Penicillin
Xerox
Air conditioners
Dishwashers
Clothes dryers
All were available before 1952.

Okay, just for fun. My mom is 103. She rode the ice wagon down the dirt road near her house. Her mom used to shoot pheasant with a .22 from her back porch and cook 'em for dinner. One time we were talking about modern conveniences we wouldn't want to live without. My grandmother said, "Hot water coming out of the wall."
Wow...103 years old. Good for her. Hope she's in decent health. Cherish the time you have left with her, they're gone a long time.

Last edited:
Yeah, she's still sharp. Firing on 7 out of 8 cylinders. She expects a ride in my new found 64 Dart in the fall county parade. works for me!

I’m 62 I remember dad carrying in 5 gallon pails of diesel fuel for space heater the drinking water came from the well outside winter summer wash water came from cistern. There was a night pot In house out house outside. Mom would break ice off drinking water pail to make coffee and warm kitchen with electric oven. If you told my grandpa we use communicators like Star Trek he would have LOL. Oh ya it was 64 when we got the 1st tv 3 channels two government one North Dakota. So if u lived in city maybe u had these things not everyone had.

Man Ahoey, you're bringing back memories! My grandparents cabin had no running water and a wood burning cook stove. The "night pot", or chamber pot kept in the communal bedroom was nicknamed The Thunder Mug for the reverberation it would make with a good fart. We kept the outhouse toilet seat in the cabin during the winter time so we wouldn't freeze to the seat.

The home phone was a party line. If it rang one long and two short rings, it was for our house. Two long rings was the neighbors'. Want to make a call? Pick up the phone and listen for a dial tone. Gotta make a call, and no dial tone? Politely ask the people talking to hang up. Our black and white TV had one channel. Life was good, man. A bike, slingshot, and a fishing pole, and you were king of the world! Be home by dark...

That's pretty cool, but lots of that stuff was available to consumers before 1952. They may not have been perfected or mainstream, but available.
Television
Penicillin
Xerox
Air conditioners
Dishwashers
Clothes dryers

And the ball point pen was sold in the U.S. around 1945.

Television
Penicillin
Xerox
Air conditioners
Dishwashers
Clothes dryers

Available for "whom"? Most households couldn't afford most of that stuff.

The claim was that none of those things existed. That's factually wrong. It doesn't matter if very few could afford it. If only one could, the point holds true.

Doggie u made me smile. We had a party line if u picked up and heard talking u had to wait ur turn. Remember getting **** for leaving toilet seat in out house. It’s amazing the advancements in creature comforts. Think about ur grand parents what they saw happen. The things this person talked about happened in the last 100 years amazing

Television
Penicillin
Xerox
Air conditioners
Dishwashers
Clothes dryers

You forgot sandwich makers.

E8264E7A-7FB1-47F9-93DC-EED1B5A5EE7E.jpeg

Television
Penicillin
Xerox
Air conditioners
Dishwashers
Clothes dryers

YEA.........
Even the Flintstones had most of that stuff.

I’m 62 I remember dad carrying in 5 gallon pails of diesel fuel for space heater the drinking water came from the well outside winter summer wash water came from cistern. There was a night pot In house out house outside. Mom would break ice off drinking water pail to make coffee and warm kitchen with electric oven. If you told my grandpa we use communicators like Star Trek he would have LOL. Oh ya it was 64 when we got the 1st tv 3 channels two government one North Dakota. So if u lived in city maybe u had these things not everyone had.
The good old days they say lol

The claim was that none of those things existed. That's factually wrong. It doesn't matter if very few could afford it. If only one could, the point holds true.

Right, I understand. And you are correct, while it actually DID exist, it may as well not have for most people. Isn't it funny how times change? I think pretty much everybody in this country right down to below poverty level can have access to most all that now.....that is to say, "if they want to". Or better yet, "if they don't" spend any extra money on tattoos, booze and cigarettes.

Right, I understand. And you are correct, while it actually DID exist, it may as well not have for most people. Isn't it funny how times change? I think pretty much everybody in this country right down to below poverty level can have access to most all that now.....that is to say, "if they want to". Or better yet, "if they don't" spend any extra money on tattoos, booze and cigarettes.
Drugs and pets don't forget.

You're right. For the most part, they were luxury items when I was growing up. We just got our first dishwasher and central air three years ago because our new (to us) downsized home already had them. We got our first window A/C around 15 years ago when our in laws were visiting from the south. It was around 85 indoors. We had the fans going. They went to the home store and bought us a monster sized window unit! I had still considered it a luxury item, so not necessary.
My Dad got some penicillin around 1944 when he was 9 years old. It was still new and very scarce because most went to war use. It probably saved his life. It definitely saved some of his hearing.
Yep, we're on the same page.

You're right. For the most part, they were luxury items when I was growing up. We just got our first dishwasher and central air three years ago because our new (to us) downsized home already had them. We got our first window A/C around 15 years ago when our in laws were visiting from the south. It was around 85 indoors. We had the fans going. They went to the home store and bought us a monster sized window unit! I had still considered it a luxury item, so not necessary.
My Dad got some penicillin around 1944 when he was 9 years old. It was still new and very scarce because most went to war use. It probably saved his life. It definitely saved some of his hearing.
Yep, we're on the same page.
Did he have meningitis? That will not only take your hearing and it will also kill. Glad to hear he survived.

Television
Penicillin
Xerox
Air conditioners
Dishwashers
Clothes dryers
Yeah and in my lifetime a Bugatti Chiron Longtail that goes 304 MPH is available. Space Adventure are selling seat for a trip to the moon for 150 million. A 70 Cuda Hemi convertible can be had for 2.25 million. Doesn’t mean they are available to me.

I transferred to England in 1987 with the Air Force. Met a girl who had her own flat (apartment).

Remember, this is 1987 and the entire apartment building had no central heat or air. Didn't need air most of the time but if you wanted heat, you had to bring your own.
She had two "Calor" (propane) gas heaters we moved from room to room.

And, the apartment electric was on a meter that you had to put coins in to keep your electric on!!!!

I thought I was in a third world country!!!

We married, cause I couldn't resist the accent but divorced 7 years later when she got the 7 year itch.

I transferred to England in 1987 with the Air Force. Met a girl who had her own flat (apartment).

Remember, this is 1987 and the entire apartment building had no central heat or air. Didn't need air most of the time but if you wanted heat, you had to bring your own.
She had two "Calor" (propane) gas heaters we moved from room to room.

And, the apartment electric was on a meter that you had to put coins in to keep your electric on!!!!

I thought I was in a third world country!!!

We married, cause I couldn't resist the accent but divorced 7 years later when she got the 7 year itch.
I remember some of those things when I lived in England before moving to Canada.
They went through tough times during the war and I mean tough. Running top the air raid shelters hoping you made it safely and coming back and your house was totally gone from the blitz. Even after the war things were tough, that's why we moved to Canada for a better life. The bad part was leaving my grandparents and cousins etc.
Sorry your marriage didn't work out 66 but that has happened many times. I have a solid marraige and thankful for that.

My great grandparents put running water in the farm house in the forties, with no bathroom in the house the stool was at the top of the stairs and the tub in the kitchen just like the neighbor's house. It was quite the novelty as a kid in the sixties.

-
Back