How should my duster handle

-

Cam1399

Reaction score
I have a 1974 plymouth duster im trying to get back in the road. It’s factory power steering. All new shocks and front end parts. How should I expect it to handle going down the road? It feels real light in the front end. Is this normal? I’m not very used to driving something this old. Thanks guys

Yup. It's the Chrysler power steering. It'll dang near turn by itself.

Rusty is right. My dusters literally can be turned by looking at the steering wheel. It almost feels loose when you drive it because its so easy.

Okay thanks guys. I need to just put some miles on it and get the feel for it then. Mine has a factory sway bar up front. I thought about adding one to the rear.

Today. I just replaced everything and today I got it aligned

What were your alignment specs?

Upgrade the front bar to 1 1/8 before the rear

For the power steering feel you can try:

• Shimming a Saginaw pump
  • Increased caster (usually need offset upper bushings)
  • Smaller diameter steering wheel
  • Rebuilding the power steering gear to firmer feel
  • Borganson steering box

Last edited:
When I took it to sent him some specs I found on here. +2.5-5 is what I sent and he said it got inside that

When I took it to sent him some specs I found on here. +2.5-5 is what I sent and he said it got inside that

That's your caster number? (post full printout). If so check that off the list. try others.

Old steering boxes tend to wear in the center. There is a lash adjustment that might help some. But since the wear typically is not even, when you get the center tight the off-center range is too tight.

It's not going to "feel" just like a new car though.

Sounds like you may not have got a full alignment.
Open your shop manual, or a '73 downloaded from Mymopar.
The alignment procedure is very clear and must be followed.

1. Ride Height - as defined by Chrysler
2. Camber
3. Caster
4. Toe

Recheck the camber after adjusting the caster.
If the camber needs readjustment, move both cams the same amount.
Recheck camber and caster.

Change the ride height, camber, caster and to some degree toe will change.
This is on purpose to work with the tires to maximize traction as the front end compresses or extends.

Original factory specs were based on the assumption that most roads were crowned, and cars were equped with bias or cross ply tires.
Since most roads now are barely crowned, setting both sides equal or nearly so is fine.
Using today's radial tires, they prefer more negative camber than tires did in the 60s and 70s.
Slight toe in is still needed to prevent 'wander'.

Regardless, all four adjustments need to be used for alignment.

I went by the skosh chart I found on here. -.5 camber as much positive caster and slight toe in

My son and I got out and drove it for a good while this morning. It’s riding so much better. I did the mod to the pump. Made is so much better. Thanks guys

Alignment spec's are for straight ahead at factory ride height.
The assumption is that, by the factory design, the alignment will then also be correct for all other turning angles and suspension heights.
But if your guy did not set the ride height to factory, then ONLY your straight-ahead alignment will be correct.
Furthermore, if the back end has been altered, this will affect the front end.
The lesson here is that the factory-type alignments only work on factory original cars, at the factory specified ride-heights..

therefore; if your car; wanders, pulls, seems nervous, self-steers on bumps, or heaven forbid squeals the tires in normal turns, the alignment will need to be re-spec'd.

It’s taking turns great now. Before the front end replacement and alignment it hated turns. Feels like a different car now

Sounds like you're getting the car to drive the way you like so maybe it's a moot point but the alignment specs are not optimized to radial tires, IIRC. If you're running E70-14s, the factory specs would apply but more than likely you have something more modern and it would therefore benefit from alignment specs more in line with the properties of those tires.

So...I probably could have saved a whole bunch of keystrokes and just asked: what are you running for tires?

I guess I'm weird...well I know I'm weird, but I always liked the cushy feel of Chrysler power steering. True one finger steering.

I guess I'm weird...well I know I'm weird, but I always liked the cushy feel of Chrysler power steering. True one finger steering.

If the steering box is still "tight" it's kinda neat on something mostly stock that isn't for going fast. One of the first upgrades I did on my Duster was a Firm Feel Stage 2 PS box back in 2008 because I knew I intended to build the car for handling and being stable at high speeds. But something like a cruiser C-body, stock steering is nice.

Most modern cars are too stiff IMO.

-
Back