-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
so how would you do it?

two builds
first has to be a stock bottom end of a 5.9L,second is a 426" bottom end

So here is my goals and usage:
This is for the 97 ram we just picked up, already gonna be doing the kegger mods (remove wall,shorted ports,port match,plenum fill, and lastly turtle) CAI, new exhaust and SCT tunner which until i can afford heads is as much as i know on these.

This is my first and only Small block i have ever owned so this is all new to me. im only going for low end tq and good mpg (towing and not).

What do you guys think? also im not converting to a stick or a 24v so dont bother. but gear and converter/trans upgrades welcome!

Stay 408,805. Cheaper, in the long run. Scat rods clear, no grinding. Scat ,has a nice rotator to start. Summit,has a wholesale commercial line. You guys,buy enough at work. Go get it.

Stay 408,805. Cheaper, in the long run. Scat rods clear, no grinding. Scat ,has a nice rotator to start. Summit,has a wholesale commercial line. You guys,buy enough at work. Go get it.

well i will but heads are before the bottom end due to the issues they have. and im not in a place to build a proper motor yet. just getting the idea's on paper so to speak

ok let me re-phrase this. until i pull the 5.9L to go thru it and do a 426 i will have to play with the stock 5.9L bottom end. but thats the only thing thats set in stone. what im looking for are heads, cam etc... i know a cam for the 360 will be small for the 426 but thats a given

Put a chevy motor in it.

Put a chevy motor in it.

oh yea... 383 chevy big block!

hughes seems to have what i want.

426" kit but dont know over bore size.
iron ram heads with 1.92's for better low lift numbers
1.6 ratio rockers to keep the cam small and torquey!

what do you use it for and what motor? this is a truck motor i'll be building.

and then i guess my next thread is 46Rh/e build ups!

You've seen my build thread, I have the Magnum 5.9.

A truck with a stock computer would different, I have the big book on Magnum rebuilds from Larry Shepard. Tomorrow I'll flip through it and get some numbers for the biggest cam the stock stuff will work with. The R/T cam comes to mind.

For the 46RH mods head here: http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184663

A truck with a stock computer would different, I have the big book on Magnum rebuild from Larry Shepard. Tomorrow I'll flip through it and get some numbers for the biggest cam the stock stuff will work with. The R/T cam comes to mind.

the sct by hemifever gets rid or tq managment and can do custom tunes so its not really a stock comp. and no i havnt seen your build, looking it over now though...

Have a 224@ .050 Crower hyd roller., 491 lift ,114 lobe center. Had 21" of vacuum., 750 in drive. For sale.Interested,pm me (cheap).

A 351/M400 is another good truck motor.

A truck with a stock computer would different, I have the big book on Magnum rebuilds from Larry Shepard. Tomorrow I'll flip through it and get some numbers for the biggest cam the stock stuff will work with. The R/T cam comes to mind.

For the 46RH mods head here: http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184663

and i was looking for a little more than a shift kit. i heard there are drums for the OD to hold more clutches for towing in OD, upgraded planetary's, and yes a shift kit.

now you seem to be in the know so i'll ask.

how do i know if its a 42/46/48 RE or RH? its in a 97 ram 1500 5.9L 4x4.

I Think the break down is like this right? 4=speeds 2/6/8=OD clutches R=? E= electronic controlled H= hydralic controlled

Thanks!

A good valve job.Proper can timing wakes the 351/400m way up. Good call,Stroker..

The 46 already has the bigger OD clutch pack, from the word on the street, all of the old school upgrades are already a part of the newer transmissions. Like that billet overrunning clutch in the back of the case, from factory. As far as I know, slap the TFOD-JR in it and roll it untill you need to go through it, the 46RE run behind cummins all day.

It's 95+ so it's a RE, you can verify because of the plug on the drivers side

attachment.php

As far as the difference 42 vs 46, The ID numbers are stamped on the case's left side just above the oil pan, run them into google and see what comes up. If I was to bet, it's in a ram with a 5.9, so it's going to be the 46. 42's are in Dakotas.

It's 95+ so it's a RE, you can verify because of the plug on the drivers side

attachment.php

As far as 42 vs 46, The ID numbers are stamped on the case's left side just above the oil pan, run them into google and see what comes up.

awesome! was i correct in the second number is OD clutches? and the 48 was diesel only right? i have been doing research before asking :wink:

awesome! was i correct in the second number is OD clutches? and the 48 was diesel only right? i have been doing research before asking :wink:

I updated my post with a couple stream of conscious comments.

There isn't a direct correlation between clutch number, and second number, second number is duty level, I believe 42 has 6 and the 46 has 9. I could stand corrected though, PM Fishy68, he has them down pat.

There isn't a direct correlation between clutch number, and second number, second number is duty level, I believe 42 has 6 and the 46 has 9. I could stand corrected though, PM Fishy68, he has them down pat.

lol anything from the flexplate back and fishy is all over it!

lol anything from the flexplate back and fishy is all over it!

If it feels healthy, I'd have total faith in the trans under you, if your worried, drop the pan. It would give you a chance to check to look for shavings and such anyway, I've heard anything more than a tablespoon is a rebuild is a good rule of thumb.

so is the 42 a 500, 46 a 518 and the 48 the 618?

-
Back