How to deal with stripped out holes on Firewall

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
Not sure which forum is best for this, so I figured gotta go where the brains are, which is of course the Early A forum:) on my 66 dart, I have been removing and reinstalling the Voltage regulator like 50 times over the past 2 weeks. And now one of the holes is completely stripped. Currently I insert a piece of paperclip and then screw the screw in, but that is only good for 1x, then when I remove it I have to start all over. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? Thought about retapping the hole to next size up, but it isnt very thick so not sure how many threads I could get. Thought about getting a self-tapping screw, but since I take this on/off often I would fear the threads wouldnt hold up. Is there any sort of metal anchor designed to go in the hole permanent, then I can screw into the anchor? Maybe drywall anchor (the metal type)? How idiotic would that be?? help. p.s. ground is not a huge issue (would be nice) as I am attaching a separate ground wire from the screw to the battery ground terminal.

images.jpeg

I replace the sheet metal screws with machine screws, washers and nylon lock nuts.
They always stay and I think it makes a more reliable ground for things that need or could use it.

For stuff that the grounding of it is critical gets a star type lock washer between it and the body.
I like the ones with the bite sections on the inside so they don't look to strange when used between things.

lockwashers.jpg

I would use the appropriate size nut cert to repair the stripped out hole. These are perfect for anything you need to fasten to sheet metal such as your little firewall components, external mirrors, etc.

Not sure which forum is best for this, so I figured gotta go where the brains are, which is of course the Early A forum:) on my 66 dart, I have been removing and reinstalling the Voltage regulator like 50 times over the past 2 weeks. And now one of the holes is completely stripped. Currently I insert a piece of paperclip and then screw the screw in, but that is only good for 1x, then when I remove it I have to start all over. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? Thought about retapping the hole to next size up, but it isnt very thick so not sure how many threads I could get. Thought about getting a self-tapping screw, but since I take this on/off often I would fear the threads wouldnt hold up. Is there any sort of metal anchor designed to go in the hole permanent, then I can screw into the anchor? Maybe drywall anchor (the metal type)? How idiotic would that be?? help. p.s. ground is not a huge issue (would be nice) as I am attaching a separate ground wire from the screw to the battery ground terminal.

I can't really understand just why you are removing the voltage regulator so many times unless you are painting the firewall or have a wiring issue. But you could run a 1/4-20 bolt from the back side and lock it down with a star washer and nut , install regulator and put a nylock nut on there for easy removal. the voltage regulator pretty much has to be grounded very well to be effective.

for a store bought remedy use a nut sert (Harbor Frieght has the tool cheap.) or a rivnut

Last edited:
Spot weld a nut on the opposite side.

-- Currently I insert a piece of paperclip and then screw the screw in, but that is only good for 1x, then when I remove it I have to start all over. --
-- I got away with that a couple times, and the VR is currently grounded OK.

Repeatedly R&R a voltage regulator to the point of wearing out the bolt holes. Beats all I ever heard.
A couple of steel wires brushes would work sort of like Velcro, making it easier for you. Or magnets.

Last edited:
I would use the appropriate size nut cert to repair the stripped out hole. These are perfect for anything you need to fasten to sheet metal such as your little firewall components, external mirrors, etc.

Or check out "nutsert" on the net. You know, your local tool rental place may have a kit to rent. They are a permanent fix.

So it's a nutsert! I was kind of close with "nut cert".

Or check out "nutsert" on the net. You know, your local tool rental place may have a kit to rent. They are a permanent fix.

A tool can be improvised rather than spending money or renting.
I modified some draw cleocs since I was in aircraft mtc.
But the principle would be the same.
Just get a long machine screw, nut and rig some spacers.

Thanks for the motivation.
When I went and looked for these, I found that lost piston stop I made years ago.
Could not find it recently and had to make another one.
Now I've got two.

20161118_075518 (Large).jpg

Most body shops have the tool also prob put it in for a few bucks.

-
Back