How to determine small port vs larger port 273 heads.

-

1967Barracuda

Reaction score
So I ordered shorty headers from tti for my 1967 Barracuda with a 273 2 barrell engine and I have to share this disclaimer from tti:

273-318 BLOCKS: PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY IF YOUR 273-318 cylinder heads have the small port size of 1.550 x 1.090. Modification will be required to the ports for
the headers to seal properly. Modification will be done prior to coating, please allow additional time for this process. (An additional modification fee will apply)

Is there an easy way to find out the port size or do I need to take the exhaust manifolds off and measure the port size. What instrument is best for this or will a standard ruler be fine.

Screenshot_20220902-113858_Chrome.jpg

So I ordered shorty headers from tti for my 1967 Barracuda with a 273 2 barrell engine and I have to share this disclaimer from tti:

273-318 BLOCKS: PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY IF YOUR 273-318 cylinder heads have the small port size of 1.550 x 1.090. Modification will be required to the ports for
the headers to seal properly. Modification will be done prior to coating, please allow additional time for this process. (An additional modification fee will apply)

Is there an easy way to find out the port size or do I need to take the exhaust manifolds off and measure the port size. What instrument is best for this or will a standard ruler be fine.

View attachment 1715981914
:rofl::rofl: there are no large port 273 heads. What heads are you running?

Take valve cover off and look for casting numbers. That "MAY" give you an idea on ports. Factory 273 heads port sizes I believe were all the same.

The early ones are critical below the port, theres less flange/sealing surface.
Smog head for instance have the air injection which adds sealing surface.

View attachment 1715981914
Here's what you should find.
upload_2022-9-6_22-43-50.png

-
Back