How To For Those Looking for Tips on Carpet Install

-

Dusterdude72

IN MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE
Reaction score
Dusterdude72 submitted a new Article:

How To For Those Looking for Tips on Carpet Install

Well.... Before I started installing my carpet , I had looked around and there really isnt any carpet install guides here on fabo for our cars. I also had another member show interest in tips on installing carpet in our cars.

SO, I figured I would document my install a bit and share some of the techniques I used and share with you all the process I went through.

so here goes.

about a year ago I stripped the floors down in my 72 duster with a wire wheel,grinder and sand paper until it was all bare metal. I then went through and primed the floor and then pained it black.

View attachment 1714971932

View attachment 1714971933

View attachment 1714971934

View attachment 1714971935

View attachment 1714971936

a couple months back I picked up a set of power leather bucket seats and I had to make custom seat brackets to get those seats to work with my floor pan, I utilized my stock bench seat mounting holes and I made riser brackets for the other side of the seat to meet the flat part of the floor pan. in doing so, I wanted to "beef up" the mounting area on the 4 inner mounting bolts for each bucket seat so that " IF " ever there were some sort of collision there would be added support and bolts would not rip out...also I didnt want years of driving to beat the brackets into the floor pan and rip the steel or anything. So I welded in some 16th" thick 3"x3" square plates for the 4 inner mounting bolts.

seat risers i made

View attachment 1714971937

View attachment 1714971938

mounting plates i welded in
View attachment 1714971939

after seam sealing them just for the heck of it

View attachment 1714971940

and then last week I went ahead and insulated my interior so I could keep the noise/heat down a bit more.......now, I did not want to spend the kind of money involved with going with dynomat and so on....and being the budget minded person that I am, I went to my local menards ( lowes, home depot....same stuff basically) and I picked up a 25 ft x 2 ft roll of insulation used for attics and under siding and many other uses ....it cost $15.00 for the roll, then I bought a can of contact cement ($5.00) and a roll of aluminum tape ($5.00) ($25.00 for all of it about).

View attachment 1714971941

View attachment 1714971942

View attachment 1714971943

I then made some rough measurements and cut pieces to general size and layed it out in the car....I then trimmed it all up to fit to my liking ( I did the ceiling as well) .

then I brushed my floors with the contact cement and I brushed the back side of the insulation also. I then let it "tack up" for about 5 minutes and then laid out each piece where I originally had it almost like a puzzle.

some spots such as in rounded corners of the floor pan required a bit of persuasion ( punching at the material to get it to conform to the shape lol).

after that I took the aluminum tape and I tape all my edges and all my seams. I then taped my power seat wiring down to the floor ( for those of you running power seats).

for the seat mounting holes and seat belt holes and so on....I got underneath the car with a seal pick tool ( View attachment 1714971944 ) and I poked through all the holes so I could visibly see where the holes were from inside the car, I then took a razor blade and cut the holes out large enough for bolts to go back in them.

ceiling
View attachment 1714971945

floor
View attachment 1714971946

View attachment 1714971947

View attachment 1714971948

now onto the carpet.

as for tools, I used some basic tools like screw drivers and what not for taking off sill plates and kick panels and what not. And I also used carpet hook razor blades that work great for cutting the carpet, I used the seal pick again to help in locating holes, I used a hair dryer ( ill explain later lol) and i used a soldering iron ( I will also explain later lol)

View attachment 1714971949

View attachment 1714971950

View attachment 1714971951

View attachment 1714971952

now ....as for measurements.... I didn't really take any that would be of use to anyone doing this job as all these carpet kits vary and not all of them are formed exactly the same and I don't have factory seats or a factory shift and there was just to many variables that I would probably throw people off by giving them my measurements more so than helping them with them.

what I basically did was let the carpet sit out in the sun for awhile and then I moved it into the car and let it sit over night ( not necessary ) ...I then punched the carpet a bunch to try to get it to get into the contours a bit more and what not .

I made sure to get both the front and rear sections of the carpet roughly where i thought they fit somewhat comfortably ( being aftermarket it was far from a perfect fit.....but not too shabby).

after I was sure i was CLOSE to where I wanted to be, I started on the FRONT section of the carpet first ( some guys like to start from the back but i guess i think out of the box? lol ) I first pushed the carpet forward as far as it could go....and until the foot rest padding was almost under my pedals. the carpet was hitting the bottom of the column, the bottom of the gas pedal bracket and it was hitting in the corner of the passenger side firewall.

So I busted out my carpet hook razor blade and I by eye just kind of freehand cut little half circles into the carpet directly below the column and gas pedal...and in the corner of the passenger side firewall I just cut off the very corner of the carpet. I then slid the carpet forward and it made for a good fit!. (also , I have a trunk mounted battery so I zip tied my battery cables together and comfortably routed them along the firewall and behind the kick panel and down along the rocker panel into the trunk...I then used a rubber lined clamp and put it around the two cables and I drilled a hole in the firewall which exited into the wheel well on the drivers side and I nut and bolted the cables up out of the way so they would not drop down under my carpet.)

View attachment 1714971953

View attachment 1714971954

View attachment 1714971955

View attachment 1714971956

I then located where my shifter mounting plate is that I welded to the trans tunnel and I put a slice in the carpet about 4" long, I then pulled my carpet up high enough to slip the shifter in and bolt it down. then dropped the slice in the carpet over the top of the shifter.
I then removed little by little pieces of carpet around the shifter until it fit comfortably ( cut it piece by piece in small portions until you get to where you want to be! you can always cut off more but if you cut off to much......you are SOL )....I cut mine so that the hole in my carpet overlapped over the top of my shifter mounting bolts...I just folded the carpet back to tighten the bolts and then folded the carpet back over the bolts after they were tight. which made for a very clean look with no visible cut carpet showing from under the shifter cover.

as for the shifter cable, about an inch in front of my shifter I put a half in long horizontal slice in the carpet and slid my cable into the shifter housing....almost impossible to see it when everything is installed because the shifter housing overhangs over the front of the shifter and cable.

View attachment 1714971957

View attachment 1714971958

ok, now the reason i said to start at the center was to keep the carpet on the transmission tunnel tight and work your way to the sides of the carpet.

now at this point I put bricks and any other semi heavy objects on the carpet in any contoured areas or places that felt loose. Then I flattened the carpet out and kind of pushed it into all the contours with my fingers.

by the time I got to the door sills on both sides i had quite a bit of excess carpet, so I took out my carpet hook knife again and I cut the carpet about a half of an inch above where the metal of the sill stops......that way you have enough carpet under the sill plates to hold the carpet firmly in place. ( again, cut little by little and keep test fitting the sill plates.....you can always cut more off but you can't put more back on!).

View attachment 1714971959

View attachment 1714971960

View attachment 1714971961

when it all felt comfortable where I had it...I screwed the sill plates down in place to keep the carpet in place while I moved onto the next step.....the kick panels......there was only minor trimming I had to do to get the carpet to work under the kick panels but it is pretty easy to see what needs done while your actually looking at it.

then came the high beam dimmer switch.
for this, I pulled the carpet up to locate the switch, I then put the carpet back down and felt where the dimmer was at the carpet.....I then pulled out my soldering iron and got it heated up and i burned a hole into the carpet just large enough for the inside diameter of the dimmer grommet to pass through ( burning the carpet versus cutting with scissors or something in an area like this will prevent from getting frays in the carpet or pulling a runner of the carpet if you were to use a drill). I then popped the flexible grommet through the hole and layed it over the dimmer switch.

I then installed my kick panels.

View attachment 1714971962

View attachment 1714971963

View attachment 1714971964

started working on the rear carpet which was pretty easy other than the mold the factory used was not the greatest and the carpet was not a perfect fit.....so this is where the blow dryer came to a bit of use.

I heated the carpet up with the hair dryer until it was a bit more flexible and I continued to punch the contours and push them until they formed a bit better.

I then layed the excess carpet over the rear seat hump (hidden under the rear seat when in place) and i cut out little square notches in the carpet where the bottom seat attaching points are....also, as much as I tried with this less than perfect fit...I had to put slight folds in the corners of the rear floor pans up by the seat and I then heated them with the hair dryer and pressed them down so they would hold the folded form, I then put on the rear carpet retaining trim and held the folded section permanently in place. its not bad looking at all and is barely noticeable that its folded over....I just wanted to mention it in case anyone else runs into such a problem and needs to know an alternative solution.

View attachment 1714971965

View attachment 1714971966

View attachment 1714971967

View attachment 1714971968

View attachment 1714971969

I then got under the car with my soldering iron and I poked it through all the holes that could be access such as inner seat belt mounting hole and all seat mounting point holes and i burned the holed into the carpet.

for the outer (rocker side) seat belt mounting holes I had to pull the sill plates off and pull the carpet forward far enough to locate the holes and I then burned the holes into the carpet after locating them.

I also peeled my carpet up far enough to locate my power seat wire I ran and I poked the soldering iron through in that location and I then fed my wire through the carpet.

View attachment 1714971970

View attachment 1714971971

View attachment 1714971972

after doing all that....the seats and trim were pretty much ready to go back in the car!....I am still in the middle of restoring my car so I have yet to polish and reinstall all my trim and I have not got my back seat in yet and I am getting ready to put door panels, sail panels, speaker shelf and headliners and everything in the car. if your interested in any of that stuff be sure to keep tabs on my 72 duster build progress thread ( link in my signature below).

I hope I was able to help someone out even just a little bit and sorry for SUCH A LONG POST...I just wanted to try and cover as much as I could......here are some pictures of the " finished " product.

View attachment 1714971973

View attachment 1714971974

View attachment 1714971975

View attachment 1714971976

View attachment 1714971977

View attachment 1714971978

View attachment 1714971979

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, a lot of good information! What did you get the seats out of? They look great in your car. Congratulations on getting the interior together.

Wow, a lot of good information! What did you get the seats out of? They look great in your car. Congratulations on getting the interior together.

They were out of a 2009 Accura TL type S , I found a guy about 80 miles from me this summer who had them on craigslist....he said his friend worked at the plant and any seats that had ANY flaws were considered junk and had to go to the recyclers so he somehow ubtained a few sets.....and gave a few sets to the guy I got them from.

any how, long story short....I got them both for $100.00 !!!! i couldnt pass it up.

they are power, plus they had side air bags,heated seats,and memory ....but i chopped all the wires to everything but the power seats because I don't need the other stuff.

Great job Jerrod!
That's the way to document stuff.

Thanks Tony, I was hoping it wasn't to long and that i covered everything good enough that everyone could follow along and at least use my post as reference for when they go to tackle the job themselves

Great info.............But I've have to wonder........ what is the little one eating this week?

Great info.............But I've have to wonder........ what is the little one eating this week?

I bought this carpet kit and everything to do the job last spring and it has been sitting in my basement since.....check my resto thread and see for yourself.

no money paid into the project recently, all labor.

and to answer your question.....things are slowly picking up financially and we are doing "alright".

but "thanks" for bringing it up the way you did.

Thanks for the tips on the inexpensive insulation. I was going to buy the Dynamat, but think I will do as you did and spend my dough elsewhere. Appreciate the pics. I'll do the same when I get to my interior. Thanks again. Scott

Excellent Post as I am in the same boat that you were, I have new carpet and seat covers, (original covers) but have been afraid to tackle the project, now it is getting cold up here WI and I think I will wait till spring to do, I do have 1 question tho, it looks as you didn't put any insulation under your seats, do you recommend this?? or I guess I am wondering why?? no heat would/could come up through the floor then have to go though your seat maybe?? just wondering. thanks for the post well done.

Excellent Post as I am in the same boat that you were, I have new carpet and seat covers, (original covers) but have been afraid to tackle the project, now it is getting cold up here WI and I think I will wait till spring to do, I do have 1 question tho, it looks as you didn't put any insulation under your seats, do you recommend this?? or I guess I am wondering why?? no heat would/could come up through the floor then have to go though your seat maybe?? just wondering. thanks for the post well done.

pretty much right on the money with that one!

I figured with the seats being right in that area....plus the carpet has 1/2" padding on the back of it also....I figured there wasnt much need to mess around with putting the insulation in those areas...not much mechanical or anything in those areas the put off enough heat that would heat things up in that area......BUT ,it wouldnt hurt to put it there either!. Just a matter of preferance I suppose.

its getting cold here in MI also,I just wanted to get my interior close to being done before snow starts flying.

Last year went through the same process.
Before POR-15, and after POR-15ing the interior.

Carpet Install 11-1.jpg

Carpet Install 17-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
how the hell did you get the grommet on for the dimer switch? I gave up on mine, I can't get it in to save my a$$, and I think I got you beat, my carpet set in the bedroom for 6 years, before I installed it, good info tho.

Mark

how the hell did you get the grommet on for the dimer switch? I gave up on mine, I can't get it in to save my a$$, and I think I got you beat, my carpet set in the bedroom for 6 years, before I installed it, good info tho.

Mark

not sure i follow?.....the grommets inside diameter should be slightly larger than the diameter of the dimmer switch.

all I did was burn a hole in the carpet large enough for the outside diameter of the center section of the grommet to fit in.....then I took the top flexible portion of the grommet and kind of folded it with my fingers so it was egg shaped and I slid it into the hole in my carpet ( took a slight bit of persuasion) then I spun the grommet in circles to make sure the bottom and top plastics were seated comfortably on the bottom and top sides of the carpet and then I just laid it back over the top of the dimmer switch and it fit nicely.

hope maybe that helps answer your question.

yep that helps, I think I need to make the hole a skosh bigger, thanks,I couldn't get the grommet in the carpet.

Mark

Great job Jerrod, you show that there is ways to get things accomplished even on a limited budget. I like your idea on the sound deadener / heat shield material.

Great job Jerrod, you show that there is ways to get things accomplished even on a limited budget. I like your idea on the sound deadener / heat shield material.

Thanks!,

I have done alot of budget minded stuff with my duster.....and I don't really see it as cutting corners or anything....it all still comes out looknig good and serving its purpose.

sure,alot of folks could spend a ton more on an alternative to some of the things i have done with my car and get a slightly better end result.

but i think of it as......its better than factory.....so that works for me HAHA.

check out my build thread if you have not yet and you will see alot of budget minded alternatives I did.

for example....rather than buying new valve covers....picking a set up for $12.50 delivered that were used and making them look new with some elbow grease.

thanks again, Im glad some people find the thread interesting and useful and i hope some folks can use it to help during there install

Thanks for the tips on the inexpensive insulation. I was going to buy the Dynamat, but think I will do as you did and spend my dough elsewhere. Appreciate the pics. I'll do the same when I get to my interior. Thanks again. Scott

No problem, glad you may be able to save a bit of change in the process!

Beautiful job on the carpet and I'm really liking your seat choice as well.

Thanks....I just lucked out and happened to of found them cheap a few months back.....only problem is, they are both passenger side seats ...so I have to eventually see if i can find on ebay the drivers side plastic peice so I can move the power seat controls on the drivers side seat over to the other side.

but heck, for the price i got them at....I think I can deal with reaching down on the right side to move the seat for awhile LOL

-
Back