How to get overspray off tires

-

Serj22

Reaction score
So, when I bought my Dart I kicked $300 off the dude's asking price simply because he made an attempt at painting the wheels on only one side of the car white. It's not even white though, it's grey. Anyway, one side of the car has really nice fire-engine red wheels, and the other side has grey wheels with overspray all over the tires. I can deal with the grey wheels, but how do I get rid of the grey tires? I have tried wiping it off to no avail, and do not really want to scrub at it for fear of scratching up the tires, so... help?

Take the 300 bucks and buy tires! Really, you could use 5 bucks worth of lacquer thinner on a rag like the 1968FormulaS340 said.

Take the 300 bucks and buy tires! Really, you could use 5 bucks worth of lacquer thinner on a rag like the 1968FormulaS340 said.

Problem with buying new tires is the ones on it are brand new, within this year (or so he said) but the tread is still damn near perfect. I'm going to try the thinner on a rag. Thanks guys.

...I do want some white lettered wheels though... later.

Purple Power, (available at Napa, Advanced, Acme, Autozone, etc,)...gloves and a scrubber,....I use it straight on my raised whites,...does an awesome job....

Problem with buying new tires is the ones on it are brand new, within this year (or so he said) but the tread is still damn near perfect. I'm going to try the thinner on a rag. Thanks guys.

...I do want some white lettered wheels though... later.

thinner will work just fine, may take a few minutes but it will come off

Simple green should work good too. Might have to let it soak over night.

I scrubbed at it for quite some time with the thinner, and none of it came off. The degreaser is my next option. I'm mad now, because on closer inspection of one of the gray wheels, the crappy spray paint is chipping off and beneath it is a perfectly sprayed copper wheel, that matches the car body. WTH? Why did he do this: Pay to get the car and wheels sprayed then crappy spray over them. So the other side that is red is covering nice copper wheels as well... and I don't think there's any way to fix it. Maybe a good power-washing will kick off the cheap paint?

wow, amazing that it is resistant to lacquer thinner. Maybe Acetone(not likely to work?) or mineral spirits? Must have a chemical formula that has good bonding strength.

I scrubbed at it for quite some time with the thinner, and none of it came off. The degreaser is my next option. I'm mad now, because on closer inspection of one of the gray wheels, the crappy spray paint is chipping off and beneath it is a perfectly sprayed copper wheel, that matches the car body. WTH? Why did he do this: Pay to get the car and wheels sprayed then crappy spray over them. So the other side that is red is covering nice copper wheels as well... and I don't think there's any way to fix it. Maybe a good power-washing will kick off the cheap paint?

When we were de-lettering the painted logos and related information off company trucks that were really huge rolling billboards, we were getting rid of we used oven cleaner and the car wash. Spray it on and wait for about five minutes and then hit it was the high pressuse soap spray. Some times it took a couple of times to get it all off. It never did hurt any of the plastic or rubber parts.

By the way the Dollar General oven cleaner worked just as good as the Easy Off.

Easy off added to list. Waiting on simple green to sit for a bit then try that... btw, it's a lot of overspray on one wheel.

Front right:
CAM00342_zps7170383c.jpg

Rear right, worse:
CAM00343_zps7ec596f7.jpg

And here's the nice copper (brand new like the rest of the car) paint that should have been left alone...
CAM00344_zps18d09225.jpg

It'd be fine if he could paint... but... I've painted wheels in the past, and it usually took a lot of time, and prep work - I do not think he believed in either.

OOPS paint cleaner is the best way so it still will take hi shine or whatever tire dress you use other wise you can paint them simi gloss black but OOps works the best on the whole car and around the house or garage

Easy off added to list. Waiting on simple green to sit for a bit then try that... btw, it's a lot of overspray on one wheel.

Front right:
CAM00342_zps7170383c.jpg

Rear right, worse:
CAM00343_zps7ec596f7.jpg

And here's the nice copper (brand new like the rest of the car) paint that should have been left alone...
CAM00344_zps18d09225.jpg

It'd be fine if he could paint... but... I've painted wheels in the past, and it usually took a lot of time, and prep work - I do not think he believed in either.

Simple green will not do anything to overspray.
Take the tire off and lay it on its side, soak it with laquar thinner.
Wipe it off repeat until the cheap paint is gone.
I would be more worried about the bent rim, than the overspray.
Laquar thinner might just remove the paint off the rim and take it to the factory color.

The best way is to mask them off in the first place. The next is to use the wax and grease remover that you used to clean the surface before the paint.

Take rim off car, sand blast the rim to bare metal front and back and during that process, lightly do the tire at the same time. Then mask off the tire to rim nicely so paint does not get on the tire, wipe a judicious amount of lacquer thinner on the rim to degrease it and paint the rims up right.

If you dont have sand blaster then take them to someone who will do it for you. Bead blasting will work and soda might as well but soda probably wont get the rim metal properly profiled for paint to stick nicely.

Nice tape job on the inner though.
Lacquer thinner and a rag, soak it and wait awhile then use some elbow grease.
They have elbow grease at Home Depot.

Darryl

Super clean at Walmart or almost any auto store I use it for everything I spray my motors with it wait a few then hit it with water makes an oil soaked motor look brand new

-
Back