How to identify a 67 specific k-member

-

MOPARMAGA

" The other hard member"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I recently bought some parts from a guy for a good price. This slant 6 k frame is notched & boxed in for the Schumacher mounts. I have a 70 dart that I'm getting close to starting on. 70% street 30% track for a while. It will be 471 stroker, trick flow 240s & track heat intake.
2 inch coated fenderwell headers
727 4000 stall, no brake yet or 2 step
Tied frames
Minitubs, spring relocation.
3 inch total narrowing of 8.75, 3.91-4.30?
Unsure yet
325 50 15 m&h tires.
Anyways just wanted to know if there are any obvious tells to know it's a 67 k-frame

67 big block k-frame only has one location to bolt idler arm to it. 68 & 69 big block k frames have a bolt through design that bolts up at two locations. I don’t know if this carries over to small block and slant six k frame?

The 67 K has a one year idler. The K end and the center link end both use a "stud" mount instead of "through bolt" as mentioned above.

67 big block k-frame only has one location to bolt idler arm to it. 68 & 69 big block k frames have a bolt through design that bolts up at two locations. I don’t know if this carries over to small block and slant six k frame?
Thank all you guys

Thanks everyone I believe I have the answers needed

Looks to have 1 mount on the passenger side. So it's a 67 dang
Only thing thats different is the idler arm. 67 1 year only k frame because of idler arm and mount. Here is pix of 67 K frame i am modding to the 68-76 style idler arm mount. You can see the old mount attached in first pic.

View attachment 1715325050

View attachment 1715325053

There’s several bastard parts on 67 A bodies. The idler arm is different and maybe the pitman.

Some say that it is an Achilles heal but I have two 67 factory big block a bodies never had an issue with the idler arm. I know some people have stated that the k-frame can be reinforced at that point. Honestly I think it is an over exaggerated issue.
Carl

Some say that it is an Achilles heal but I have two 67 factory big block a bodies never had an issue with the idler arm. I know some people have stated that the k-frame can be reinforced at that point. Honestly I think it is an over exaggerated issue.
Carl
The availability of replacement is one of the issues. I cant really testify otherwise.

You could modify it to be "like" the 68/ later, but you'd about need a sample K for a pattern. Idlers are no joke ==they must be proper geometry or it won't handle "right". (Well it might go left LOL)

You could modify it to be "like" the 68/ later, but you'd about need a sample K for a pattern. Idlers are no joke ==they must be proper geometry or it won't handle "right". (Well it might go left LOL)
Ha. Ya forgot about that. Everything is so rack and pinion any more. Plus I'm out of the loop. Hit the brakes and it veers left? Needs an idler arm.

Idler arm is the Achilles heal in every parallelogram steering linkage as far as I can see.

Worst I remember was in the 80's we had about a 68? E200 Ford van. Linkage ?idler? had a weird bell crank setup. it was worn out and YOU COULD NOT BUY one.

Manuel "herding" had about 1/4 turn slop in the wheel

Well I still have the k in my 70 so I'll just modify it & sell the 67.

-
Back