How to identify a non lockup A999 transmission with pics!

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
There always seem to be a lot of questions and general mystery surrounding the A999 variants of the 904 auto transmission. Most of the things people are concerned with are how do to identify one from a garden-variety 904, what vehicles did they come in, do they all have low gear sets, how do I know if I have a 5-clutch drum etc.

I have a genuine, factory A999, non-lockup unit that has all the parts that make it an A999 and differentiate it from a standard 904. I'm not an expert by any stretch but, I have at least confirmed the little amount of info that's out there in regards to these particular units. Just thought I'd share this info with some pics to help those trying to identify one out in the field.

If you're wondering what is unique or special about the A999, I can try to explain it a little here. They were/are considered (by the factory) as a 'heavy duty' 904. I don't know about them being heavier duty than anything else out there, but there is some truth to the legend. They have wider front drums to accommodate more clutch discs (5 as opposed to the standard 3) which equates to more holding power under load and hard shifting. Any 904 can be built to withstand power but it is difficult to piece them together specifically as an A999 based on finding and retrofitting factory parts into a regular 904. Not all parts interchange and there are a lot of variations over the years that make it really tough to cobble together. Of course there are many people out there that successfully run extra clutch discs in standard drums without issue but if you want to eliminate any questions or parts searching, the best place to start is with the '74-'78 non lockup units I am describing below.

One of the the main areas of mystery with these is that other than the "PK" # on the driver's side pan rail, there is no way to tell the difference between a standard unit and a 999 since all 904 cases are essentially the same. The only other external ID would be the input shaft but this would only determine whether the unit is lock up or not. Non lockup units are splined all the way to the end of the shaft while lockup units are not and have a machined step at the tip to fit a lockup converter.

There also tends to be some confusion in regards to low gear sets. Some builders favor a low gear set because it offers better torque multiplication off the line. Standard 904 low gear ratios are 2.45:1 while the '80-up low gear set is 2.74:1, an 11% increase. Stock stroke small blocks can benefit from a low gear set because of the tendency to have less torque in the lower RPM range. However, stroker small blocks provide greater torque so if you're putting a 904 behind a 408/416 etc., you probably don't need the low gear set. In any case, benefits are debatable after a certain point so choosing to use a low gear set should be based on application-specific needs. That being said, my main intention here is just to identify the parts, not to get into a discussion about drive line theory. You can start your own thread for that.

Low gear sets did not make an appearance in 904/999s until 1980 or so. My guess for this is that factory HP ratings for small blocks at that time were pretty low and the cars were getting heavier so they needed all the help they could get. The low gear sets only came in lockup units however so the '74-'78 non lockup units would not have had them unless someone swapped one in at a later time.

Low gear sets can be installed into older units but you need the sun shell that came with the low planetary gears to use them. The shells are specific and also require specific thrust washers so if you plan to put a low gear into an older unit, make sure to get the sun shell as well.

So there are three specific PK#s that I know of which designate factory, non lockup A999s. They are as follows; (taken from the Mopar Chassis Book)

'74-'75 3681844
'76-'77 4028465
'78 4028878

The one I have is the 4028465 from '75-'77. I have another in my Duster, don't remember which one off hand right now. Per the P.O., it has a low gear set in it but I have not had it apart so I can't say for sure how it was built. It's held up great to plenty of abuse so I can attest to how stout these things really are

Regardless of what I have, any one of the three particular units listed above would have been found behind 360-equipped passenger cars. Just about anything built after '78 would most likely be a lockup unit (which I am not concerned with here). The '78-up 999 is actually more plentiful but due to the lockup design is less desirable in a street/strip performance build. There may be other non lockup units out there with different numbers from different years/applications but I do not know what they are. Finding a newer 999 with the low gear set and lockup design would be harder to build into a non lockup unit because of the lockup parts not interchanging with the non LU.

That being said, original non lockup units are in fact pretty hard to find, especially with all the original guts. A little side story - a few years back I put a want ad in a couple of places asking for the proverbial haystack needle. Took a while to locate one, like over a year. Most guys who replied didn't know what they had and would offer me a regular 904 or a lockup unit. I had to reply to a few messages and make sure that the seller was knowledgeable about what they had but most were not. I'm not saying that everyone should have this minutiae at their fingertips so please don't take that to mean I thought guys were morons. There's just limited info about these particular units which most don't concern themselves with.

In any event, I waited it out and luckily member jamesdart sold me the one he had. I bought it on a spec based on the PK number he provided but I knew I would only be able to verify it was a 999 by taking it apart and looking at the hard parts. This was around 4-5 years ago. I finally disassembled it the other day and was glad to find all the correct pieces. Checks' in the mail, James. :salut:

Again, besides the PK # on the pan rail, there is no other way to identify one unless you take it apart and inspect the internals. You also need to do that with a certain amount of knowledge of what to look for. (hopefully I can try to provide some of that here).

So once you get it to where you can start to inspect stuff, here is what to look for;

Non lockup input shafts are splined all the way to the end of the shaft. A lockup input shaft is not and has a machined step at the tip to fit a lockup converter
IMG_0715_zpsue9qd7og.jpg

For reference, here's a pic I found off the web comparing the different shaft types. Again, lockup is the one with the machined tip, non lockup is splined all the way to the end.
116_0302_trans11_z_zpsuuovbl2f.jpg

The A999 non lockup front pump is specific. It has a bevel on the back of the support to fit in with the wider 5 clutch drum. Here's the back of the pump. You can see the bevel at the base of the support where the tip of the pointer is. This fits with the wider 5 clutch front drum and does not interchange with other drums. You may be able to machine one down but I'm not sure exactly how to accomplish that.
IMG_0720_zpszrtgvmjh.jpg

Here's the 5 clutches and steels from the front drum. The rear drum is to the left and has 4 of each.
IMG_0705_zpsildgmsyu.jpg

The 'wide' 5 clutch drum mates to a specific rear drum with a 1 1/8" splined hub. The regular 3 clutch drum hub is only 1" tall.
IMG_0714_zpswk85opnz.jpg

Here is a pic comparing the two different sun shells. The low gear sun shell is the one with the step in the bottom while standard gear set shells are smooth. So low gear on the left, standard gear set on the right. The standard one came out of my '75-'77 non lockup unit.
IMG_0719_zps1mcmhqou.jpg

In addition to what I have here, there are some archived threads on Moparts about this subject but this one here is one I refer back to regularly. I have gleaned a lot of specific information from that thread. This was where I learned about the PK #s, the beveled front pump and the 1 1/8" splined hub.

There's also the [ame="http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/transguide.pdf"]My Mopar Torqueflite reference page[/ame]. It's probably easier to use it to know what not to look for instead of trying to find one of the three specific PK #s. Next time you're out hunting for one of these, bring a copy of the list so at least you'll know whether to even bother with potential finds.

Again, the 904 can be built all sorts of ways and can handle power but what I describe here is based on using the original, factory, non lockup recipe. I have no idea how many of these original units are still out there in unmolested form. I also don't know exactly which model cars they came in but based on the info provided, you should be able to narrow your potential donor search down to a fairly small group. Good luck finding one, or even finding someone who knows what it is!

Hope this helps anyone trying to either find or ID one they might have. Please take it for what it is though, mostly just my own observations and confirmation of info I have learned about through my own reading.

Greg

cool, thanks for sharing! I have a 4028464 in the pipeline, pretty interested what´s inside of this.

Michael

cool, thanks for sharing! I have a 4028464 in the pipeline, pretty interested what´s inside of this.

Michael

Pretty sure that number is for a regular 904. If you look in the trans guide I posted, it says that number was for 318 equipped cars.

Again, the only units that will potentially be a '74-'78 non lockup 999 will be the three PK #s I listed. Anything else is probably/likely/99.9% definitely NOT a 999 unless someone modified it.

Good information Greg. Can you take a pic of the splines in the front side of the sun shell? I have never been into a low gear trans but everything I've read shows the front splines have 38 teeth on a low gear set while the std ratio trans has 28 teeth just like the back side.

Good information Greg. Can you take a pic of the splines in the front side of the sun shell? I have never been into a low gear trans but everything I've read shows the front splines have 38 teeth on a low gear set while the std ratio trans has 28 teeth just like the back side.

I went out to the garage to take the pic for you Tracy but I couldn't get the gear apart from the sun shell, it was stuck. I felt it moving around a little so it probably just needs a little coaxing. I don't think I'm missing a snap ring or anything because the standard one just dropped out. The gear set has been sitting in a box with things on top of it for a couple years. It had some old lube in it that was dried up.

Unfortunately it's like 10 degrees out right now so I will try to get them apart and confirm for you tomorrow.

Appreciate the try Greg and don't worry about it right now seeing how it's that cold. It's not that important. Maybe in a couple months when it warms up if you think about it you can do it and update the thread. Thanks

Pretty sure that number is for a regular 904. If you look in the trans guide I posted, it says that number was for 318 equipped cars.

Again, the only units that will potentially be a '74-'78 non lockup 999 will be the three PK #s I listed. Anything else is probably/likely/99.9% definitely NOT a 999 unless someone modified it.

yeah, could be. Interesting thing is where i picked this one up the guy told me it was original equipment from his 360 SB Van....so i thought could be sth. different. But i´ll see what´s inside when its disassembled. At least now i know the difference how to check out the gear set and five clutch drum.

Michael

OK, as promised for fishy68, here are some pics of the low gear set I have. There was in fact a snap ring holding the sun gear to the shell, same as the regular one. You can clearly see the difference though. Just so everyone knows, these gear sets are from different units manufactured about 10 years apart. The low gear set was from a lockup unit and the other was not. Factory nomenclature for low gears is 'wide ratio planetary gear train'.

In any event Tracy, you were correct that the sun gear spline count on the standard gear set appears to be the same front and back while the low gear set is larger inside the shell.

Here's a pic of the two sun gears stacked on top of each other. The standard gear set is on top and still in the sun shell. The low sun gear is on the bottom, sun shell side on the table.
IMG_0732_zpsbee9v7qg.jpg

I'm not sure if the standard set has this spacer that installs between the larger gear and the shell but it doesn't look like it. If there is one, it's nowhere near as thick.
IMG_0725_zpsc0fisgxd.jpg

Now that I am looking at it, the low gear set seems to be pretty chewed up. The pinion gears all look pretty worn.
IMG_0729_zpsodu3yfgn.jpg

There is also a nice, circular gouge in the planetary carrier thrust face. Who knows how/why this happened. Look where the tip of the pick tool is, that's a pretty good divot.
IMG_0731_zpst4gabpzi.jpg

Hope that was what you were looking for. Kinda glad I won't be using this low gear set.

Thanks for the pics Greg. That confirms what I've seen in other places. I've never seen a spacer on the std ratio set but I haven't done many 904's so it's possible some may have it, but I doubt it. Man those teeth don't look good, bummer!

Thanks for the pics Greg. That confirms what I've seen in other places. I've never seen a spacer on the std ratio set but I haven't done many 904's so it's possible some may have it, but I doubt it. Man those teeth don't look good, bummer!

I think I just realized what the spacer is for - it's because of the step at the bottom of the sun shell. The thrust washers are all different too and I believe there are more of them. The overall height of the gear/shell assembly is the same between the two but the internal parts are somewhat different. That's why you need to the whole shell when you get a low gear set because it won't work without that little spacer! That's the whole thing right there! Not 100% sure on that just a guess but it makes sense.

I'm not sure what the output shafts from the later transmissions look like but I am guessing they are the same since you can swap the low gears into an older trans without getting the later output shaft.

And yeah, unfortunately that gear set is toast. The carrier was really stuck in the ring gear, I had to smack it a few times with a dead blow to get it to roll and drop out.

I believe the trans that is currently in my car has a low gear set in it. It would have provided some extra torque multiplication with the 3.31 stroke 340 but it won't be necessary behind the 416 I am building. I may end actually up leaving that trans alone for a the time being but if/when it comes out for a rebuild, it won't have the low gear.

if you are really looking for a quick 904-998/999 callout at the junkyard, I believe the ribbing over the bulge in the exterior of the case is an indicator too. my 904/6 has no ribs over the passenger side servo at the tailshaft seam while my non lock up 998/999 has 2 distinct ribs bracketing the servo bump.

M experience of 904s/998/999s tells me that transmissions with the reinforcing ribs in the case above the low/reverse servo, will have a double wrap low reverse band. Those without the ribs will have the single wrap.
Cheers. Gaz

if you are really looking for a quick 904-998/999 callout at the junkyard, I believe the ribbing over the bulge in the exterior of the case is an indicator too. my 904/6 has no ribs over the passenger side servo at the tailshaft seam while my non lock up 998/999 has 2 distinct ribs bracketing the servo bump.

You could be right about that but I never noticed it. I looked at my original case and I guess it has the ribs. AFAIK, except for the starter position on Slant 6 cases, most/all v8- 904 cases are essentially the same. Obviously there are slight differences in some units but I wouldn't know exactly what those are.

Again, trying to ID an A999 externally by the case is not definitive, you really need to tear it apart to be sure. Besides, even if you found one of the 3 A999 PK #s I posted earlier, you'd still have to open it up to check the parts like I did.

Perhaps these last two replies in fact can help ID one of these units to some extent but my aim with this post was to show what things look like inside to know for sure. Anything beyond hard parts in your hand is a guess.

I have 2 V8 904's, one is a 72 and the other a 73 so they were both made before the inception of the 998/999, and they both have the ribbing over the rear servo so apparently that's not an indicator of it being a 998/999. My guess is Gaz is right about it being there because of the double wrap band.

I have 2 V8 904's, one is a 72 and the other a 73 so they were both made before the inception of the 998/999, and they both have the ribbing over the rear servo so apparently that's not an indicator of it being a 998/999. My guess is Gaz is right about it being there because of the double wrap band.

There's a lot of pressure acting on the servo and the case is aluminum which is brittle. I don't think the case would distort but it could crack. I've actually read that in some applications that the servo can in fact crack the case but I think that's pretty extreme.

I still maintain the only definitive way to ID one of these is by the internal parts, especially the pump, drum and hub.

There's a lot of pressure acting on the servo and the case is aluminum which is brittle. I don't think the case would distort but it could crack. I've actually read that in some applications that the servo can in fact crack the case but I think that's pretty extreme.

I still maintain the only definitive way to ID one of these is by the internal parts, especially the pump, drum and hub.

Agreed. Thanks again for the pics and info

I have a 999 in my Demon, it has been a great transmission.
8 seasons of racing with 1 refreash, not bad.

I would have to look at it again, but I thought it had "999" cast into the topside of the convertor housing. It looked like it had been hand written, but casted in.

It has a low gear in it, but I don't remember if it was already in it.

I have a 904 with a std low gear & trans brake behind my 414 in the Barracuda.
Since we Foot - Brake, we don't use the brake.
I did have the transbrake freashened up, as well as the trans, since NHRA has went to NoBox across the board.

So I pulled out the transmission that was in my Duster. (not fun without a lift, but that's a story for another day)

I had thought that it was in fact a genuine 999 but it turns out it isn't. The PK # is 3681843 which makes it a standard duty 904 from a '74 m.y. car equipped with a 318. It's one digit off, a 999 would have been 3681844. I was bummed! Oh well.

When I bought the car, the previous owner did say that it had the low gear set and 5 clutch drum in it so this may be one of those instances where it has to be taken apart to verify what's actually inside. I'm skeptical, it's probably just a regular 904 but maybe I'll get lucky. It worked OK in any event.

The main reason I pulled the unit out though was because it is really grubby, like 41 years of grime and old fluid. One of the rear freeze plugs in the 340 was leaking pretty bad. I think there is more oil inside the bell than in the unit itself.

Frankly, I really disliked working around the trans while it was in the car. It seemed like every time I came in contact with it I became covered with dirt and oil. I figured since the engine was out, it might be a good time to pull the thing and at least clean the case and maybe put some new seals in just to keep it clean. Glad I verified what was inside the other one, at least I know I have one definite 999 gear train I can use.

So now that I know what I am working with, I have been looking into a 'race prepped' case from A+A. Seems like a good thing to do. Nice and clean! I like the converter bolt access hole too.

I hate working on grubby things like that too and you can't clean a trans very good when it's still in the car. I worked on forklifts for about 15 yrs. Man talk about grubby. I carried a little power washer with me on service calls cause 1/2 the time it was a blown hydraulic hose that sprayed oil all over the place.

I stand corrected, thanks! :eek:ops:

-
Back