How to lift drywall for ceiling up onto a scaffold?

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
Can't use a regular drywall lift for my shop ceiling because it is too high, so I am going to install it from a 2-level scaffold instead. The only problem is, I'm stumped about how to lift it up onto the scaffold. Would any of you guys have any bright ideas about that? Thanks very much.

Can't use a regular drywall lift for my shop ceiling because it is too high, so I am going to install it from a 2-level scaffold instead. The only problem is, I'm stumped about how to lift it up onto the scaffold. Would any of you guys have any bright ideas about that? Thanks very much.
The guys that finish pole buildings use a scissor lift.

One guy on The floor and another on the scaffold, guy on the floor picks up the sheet, get it in the middle and lift it up to the guy on the scaffold, we hang and finish Sheetrock quite often

Most drywall jacks go up 15'. How tall are your ceilings?

Not sure if this would help, but I had a similar problem when I replaced the roof on my 150 year old house a couple years ago. The joists were swayback - like 3 inches in on a 16 foot plan and the sheathing rotted. So I had to remove all sheathing, sister the joists and put new plywoid sheathing. The edge of the roof is about 20 feet off the ground. I had scaffolding hardware they sell at the big box stores that use dubole 2x4 posts. I did this piecemail over the summer by myself occasionally with a helper, but more often alone.
In amy case, I had a similar problem as you have in that I needed to raise 5/8" sheets of plywood up to the scaffold. To do this, I rigged up a thing with a c channel that I would place at the bottom and a piece of angle iron with eye bolt mounted at the top. I would then use small rachet straps to hold these to the panel. Then I bought a hand winch and mounted it to the double 2x4 post that held up the scaffold. Then I would just reel it up. Maybe you could do something similar, but youd probably need at least a 1/2" plywood backer to keep the drywall from cracking/breaking while you raise it. Not sure if this woukd help, but thought I'd throw it out there...

I made a different top and used my transmission jack. Worked great.

Lean an extension ladder up against the scaffolding and use it as a ramp to push the drywall up along the rails, or if you're used to it, hold the drywall in one hand and lean it against yourself, and climb the ladder holding onto the sheet! That's what I usually do!

Can you "rig" a means to hoist the drywall? Pair of come-alongs etc from the rafters?

Use one level of scaffolding with the drywall jack on it.

Still have to get the drywall up there, and then on the jack while it's on a section of scaffolding! That is not going to be easy! I'm on scaffolding all the time, and handling material up there with a lift in your way doesn't sound like my kind of fun!

Rent a scissor lift. Buddy put the drywall lift on the scissor and it worked slick. They did about 5 sheets on a scaffold (16 foot ceiling) and it was just too sketchy. 380/week.

Still have to get the drywall up there, and then on the jack while it's on a section of scaffolding! That is not going to be easy! I'm on scaffolding all the time, and handling material up there with a lift in your way doesn't sound like my kind of fun!
Maybe Bill Crowell will figure it out. It was a suggestion. Make the scaffolding a bigger platform by tying them together. Build a working floor.

Thanks very much, guys, for all your ideas and for telling me how the professionals do it. I really appreciate it.

(I know the following might be total B.S. because I haven't done it yet, so you might want to put on your waders before reading any further.)

I think what I might do is to install the safety railing (which I have never used!) around the top of the scaffold, and then set the overall scaffold height so the top of the safety rail is a few inches below the joists. Then I plan to haul the sheet of drywall up onto, and lay it across, the safety rail on a ramp made from uni-strut that is attached to the scaffold. I plan to adjust the scaffold's top deck height just right, so when standing on it you can bend over, get under the sheet and easily lift it up to the joists with your shoulders while a second guy screws it to the joists. I'm probably going to cut the full sheets in half because I'm old and weak.

I'll let you know how (if) it works out. Thanks again.

Most drywall jacks go up 15'. How tall are your ceilings?
Not without an extra extension.
I started doing drywall in 89.
I hate it but still do it some.
It is faster to hang without a lift, but lifts help with sparing your body.
Twayne discribed the correct way .
It's called a pass up.
Scissor lifts work , but suck !
I have done it pretty much anyway it can be done.
By the way if anyone tells someone I do drywall .
I will deny it , then have to kill you.
lol

Drywall lifts are for homeowners doing small projects, it really takes 2 guys to hang Sheetrock, I can hang a 8 or 9’ ceiling by myself with an 8’ sheet but when you get to 12and 16’ sheets trying to hang by yourself they will snap and 5/8 board is even tougher. The best way to “save your body” is to get a buddy to give you a hand. It will make it much easier for you.

If you were close by I would give you a hand!

Not all lifts are created equal!
If you get a nice one not a cheap one they work much better.
I know plenty of hangers that work alone with lifts.
Faster with two guys yes.
There is no way its easier on your body to header ( using your head ) or stiff arming above the head .
Most drywallers that hang for years end up with shoulder problems.

Is this in a pole barn (wood frame)? You might find it "moves" too much for sheet rock joints to hold up. Most pole barn cielings are steel panels similar to the siding. it's way lighter too. Again, if this is a pole building, the trusses will have load ratings that correspond to a top load (think snow load) and a bottom load, how much weight can "hang" from a truss. The bottom load rating is far less than the top load. Just food for thought.

-
Back