how to make 360 more torque

-

R0K3_B3aRd

Man with a Master plan.
Reaction score
I just got a 79 360 i want to build on a budget. Its going to be my daily driver and i want to spend 1,000. I just want it to be a sleeper with minimum upgrades. thanks

1000 should buy you a set of cheap headers $200.00
2.5 inch exhaust $250.00
used dual plane intake $100.00
used 4 barrel carb $150.00
and if you feel up to it, a cam kit $300.00

total $1000.00

If you haven't started on the 79 yet I'd go 360 Magnum junkyard motor with RPM air gap and 770 street avenger and never look back. My 96 Mag made just over 400 TQ and 308 HP at flywheel with nothing more than that.

So is it all stock 1979 360? Never rebuilt or anything? factory 4bbl, 2bbl? Current trans and grears in what car?

Pick a good mid range cam, good dual plane intake, dual exhaust and 4 bbl carb.

I like this carb for a daily driver. Holley 600 vac secondary, electric choke, square bore. I've run them on daily drivers for many years with great success.

http://www.manciniracing.com/homo41noflca.html

only problem is that is 3 times his budget
more if he has it done

Yeah, but it solves the problem.

Being serious, whats going to net the most difference is a cam selected for your needs. I hear good things about the Summit K6900.

Never underestimate the power of a good tune either, get the timing set up tits; Then get in there with a standalone wideband, like an Innovate LC-2 from idle circuit all the way through WOT.. I picked up at least 50 ft/lbs and 50hp on tune alone, not to mention MPG. Cost me $170.

I just got a 79 360 i want to build on a budget. Its going to be my daily driver and i want to spend 1,000. I just want it to be a sleeper with minimum upgrades. thanks

Maybe we should start with "what is it now?"

The 340/360 factory 4bbl intakes, "other than weight" are nothing to turn your nose up, and can be had VERY cheap.

What you have for exhaust now?

Cam?

What else, rear gear, tires?

If it is going in the Barracuda in your Avatar headers will eat up almost all of your 1000 dollar budget.

I assume this is a newly purchased engine that's headed for the Barracuda? Not to sound harsh, but considering all the peripheral pieces involved in the swap plus some add-ons, you really need to save up a few more $$$ to get things going imo. With the limited budget, I'd personally get it installed and running, then look for some reasonably priced bolt on's to make more power/torque.

Search the classifieds here for a dual plane intake manifold.
A 600/650 CFM carb. Holley VS or Edelbrock AVS, your choice.
A cam is a great idea, if you need springs with it, add $100.
I like the previously mention exhaust size. Summit sells inexpensive kits that in include mufflers. They fit to headers which is difficult I understand for your year car. If you can find them and it fits your budget, there a good thing to add on to the build.

On the flip side is exhaust manifolds, but getting a 2-1/2 exhaust to them may not be in kit form and therefore expensive, Exhaust budget could be breaking the total budget.

Also add a good ignition system to fire it all off.

The exhaust and ignition are worth stretching the budget.

STOCK rebuild on the bottom end. Use the stock pistons if they are good and the bore is good. It probably is.

Edelbrock Performer intake. 100 used.

Summit 6900 cam kit.

Summit double roller timing chain.

Summit headers.

Edelbrock 600-650.

Summit MSD knock off distributor curved right.

300-325 HP and 350 or so torque.

Besides obvious 4bbl and headers cam with give the most performance increase. All stock cams are pretty wimpy even the 340 cam. Any thing over 225 degrees you start trading bottom end "torque" for top end power
going less doesn't give you really anymore bottom end just shrinks power band.

Besides obvious 4bbl and headers cam with give the most performance increase. All stock cams are pretty wimpy even the 340 cam. Any thing over 225 degrees you start trading bottom end "torque" for top end power
going less doesn't give you really anymore bottom end just shrinks power band.

The 340 cam is still a fantastic piece even by today's standards. Have no clue why you would say that.

I assume this is a newly purchased engine that's headed for the Barracuda? Not to sound harsh, but considering all the peripheral pieces involved in the swap plus some add-ons, you really need to save up a few more $$$ to get things going imo. With the limited budget, I'd personally get it installed and running, then look for some reasonably priced bolt on's to make more power/torque.
I already Have a 8 3/4 rearend with 3.23 gears Im putting in once i have the 360 finished. Its a factory 4bbl and he gave me free long tube headers with em as well. The only thing I'm missing is the 2.5 exhaust. Im thinking about putting a 340 Intake on it with a holley carb and a msd dist. I was also debating on putting the edlebrock timing chain. also I'm thinking about putting J or x heads on them what do you think?

Yeah, but it solves the problem.

Being serious, whats going to net the most difference is a cam selected for your needs. I hear good things about the Summit K6900.

Never underestimate the power of a good tune either, get the timing set up tits; Then get in there with a standalone wideband, like an Innovate LC-2 from idle circuit all the way through WOT.. I picked up at least 50 ft/lbs and 50hp on tune alone, not to mention MPG. Cost me $170.
what is that LC2??

The 340 cam is still a fantastic piece even by today's standards. Have no clue why you would say that.

I'm not saying a 340 cam is bad probably would even be a decent choice for this engine, but as performance cams go it rather small more in the RV range

And an RV "type" (like a 340) cam would make more torque without having any bad manners or necessity for headers...where's the problem?

I already Have a 8 3/4 rearend with 3.23 gears Im putting in once i have the 360 finished. Its a factory 4bbl and he gave me free long tube headers with em as well. The only thing I'm missing is the 2.5 exhaust. Im thinking about putting a 340 Intake on it with a holley carb and a msd dist. I was also debating on putting the edlebrock timing chain. also I'm thinking about putting J or x heads on them what do you think?

A 340 intake would be great for a slightly warmed 360. Just don't skimp on the timing set-billet gears are best because the gear faces don't recede as the surfaces harden (they're already hardened). Either set of heads will do fine...just ensure serviceability...are they in better shape than the heads currently on the engine?

A 340 intake would be great for a slightly warmed 360. Just don't skimp on the timing set-billet gears are best because the gear faces don't recede as the surfaces harden (they're already hardened). Either set of heads will do fine...just ensure serviceability...are they in better shape than the heads currently on the engine?
it doesn't have heads on right now. the ones he gave me are brand new don't know what brand tho. As for Serviceability what do you mean by that?? What parts should i replace

it doesn't have heads on right now. the ones he gave me are brand new don't know what brand tho. As for Serviceability what do you mean by that?? What parts should i replace

By serviceable, I mean: pressure check good, good sealing valves, correctly chosen and set up springs for your cam, square surfaces, good threads, etc...

You might not have to replace anything-I was just curious where you are with the heads.

I guess I read over the part where it didn't have heads. So, he gave you a set of heads? Are they aftermarket or refurbed stock? Do you see any casting numbers? Can you post up a pic? I'm sure someone on here could ID whatever you post.

I would keep it very simple, all of the suggestions sound good to me so far except the stroker one, too much money at this point and would break the budget big time........

-
Back